Microsoft Blocks Late-Night Gaming for South Korean Kids

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Blocks Late-Night Gaming for South Korean Kids

South Korean kids under 16 will no longer be able to access Xbox Live between the hours of midnight and 6 am.

Online gaming is a pretty big thing in South Korea, so I'm told, to the point that the South Korean government saw fit to enact a "Shutdown Law [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114369-South-Koreas-Shutdown-Law-Takes-Effect]" in November 2011, banning teenagers under 16 years of age from playing online games between 12 am and 6 am. The law was originally aimed at MMOs but grew to encompass other online gaming in its final form.

Sony announced shortly before the law took effect that it would prevent under-16 gamers from connecting to the PlayStation Network and now Microsoft, which was given a two-month "grace period" to figure out how to implement a similar system of its own, says it will now begin blocking underage gamers as well. It's bad news for the kids but good news for everyone else, as Microsoft was initially thinking about shutting the service down entirely during the six-hour blackout rather than having to deal with the complexities and hassle of coming up with a functioning age filter.

Good on Microsoft for figuring out the complicated process of checking birth dates in user accounts, but there's still the question of how the new rules will handle people who just lie about their ages when they sign up for an online gaming service. Just like conventional age gates, the system works perfectly as long as everyone involved is completely honest. But if some 15-year-old kid decides he really wants to play online at 1 am and he's not too attached to his gamer ID to let it go? I can't see this law will do much to stop him.

You know what would stop him? Parents who tell their kids to turn it off and go to bed, and then make sure it happens. Crazy idea, I know, but maybe someone should give it a try.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5874251/the-country-that-shutdown-xbox-live-for-kids]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
You know what would stop him? Parents who tell their kids to turn it off and go to bed, and then make sure it happens. Crazy idea, I know, but maybe someone should give it a try.
Yeah because if there is one thing teenagers are known for, it's NOT finding way to subvert their parent's authority. Especially the ones who lie about their ages in an online gaming service.
That doesn't excuse parents from setting boundaries just because their children can be devious. They'll just have to try harder, that's what they're there for. The government shouldn't be doing their job.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
Yeah because if there is one thing teenagers are known for, it's NOT finding way to subvert their parent's authority. Especially the ones who lie about their ages in an online gaming service.
How dare you question specious reasoning?

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Parents getting involved with their kids? In this day and age? What kind of backwater journalist are you. Ya hippie.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
When I was 15 not only did I not have any internet at all but I had an 11pm curfew.

kids are spoiled these days.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
As much as we say that parents SHOULD be putting boundaries on their kids, it's pretty clear that they aren't/are unable to enforce it. That's why this happens. It's not so much "government taking care of your kids for you whether you want it or not" as much as "government covering for inept parents".

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Ya, I mean it's not like these so called parents might have jobs or something and need a good nights sleep to perform well at work. They should be waking up at a random time every hour to check to make sure these kids aren't playing video games!

There are always ways around a system. If they want to play games at 3am and are smart about it, they'll find a way. Unless the parents were to keep the console under lock and key or something. Which actually sounds like something my parents might have done if it came to it.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It's bad news for the kids but good news for everyone else, as Microsoft was initially thinking about shutting the service down entirely during the six-hour blackout rather than having to deal with the complexities and hassle of coming up with a functioning age filter.
Actually I think it would have been better to shut it down during those hours. Then older gamers would know what the younger owns were going through and might be a bit more vociferous in their objections to this law.

So, yeah thanks Microsoft for putting together technology to oppress a minority.

I don't want to hear any further stories about how far ahead S Korea are when it comes to technology, etc anymore. With this law they just took a step 100 year backwards and no amount of super new mobile devices etc will change that.

The thought of if I had had to grow up with that kind of law. I just don't want to think about it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's bad news for the kids but good news for everyone else, as Microsoft was initially thinking about shutting the service down entirely during the six-hour blackout rather than having to deal with the complexities and hassle of coming up with a functioning age filter.
Actually I think it would have been better to shut it down during those hours. Then older gamers would know what the younger owns were going through and might be a bit more vociferous in their objections to this law.

So, yeah thanks Microsoft for putting together technology to oppress a minority.

I don't want to hear any further stories about how far ahead S Korea are when it comes to technology, etc anymore. With this law they just took a step 100 year backwards and no amount of super new mobile devices etc will change that.

The thought of if I had had to grow up with that kind of law. I just don't want to think about it.
Yeah, 15 year olds can't do a lot of things:
-can't drive
-can't smoke
-can't vote
-cannot freely travel
-cannot go beyond 1st base
-Can't procure alcoholic beverages (though in US, even 20 years olds cannot do that).
-Can't see R-rated movies in theatres

And come on, this is ONLY AFTER MIDNIGHT and only in compliance with South Korean laws! Why is it so important that 14 and 15 year olds keep playing multiplayer games through to 1am and 2am? I understand the precedent is severe and this may just be the thin end of the wedge but online networks DO have a problem with minors and this is a step in the right direction.

I welcome any period where all the whiny foul mouthed zero-accountability little brats on Xbox Live are gone. You only have to hear a fraction of the vile trash talk and the cracking pitch of their voice that it is largely young teenage boys who are responsible. As an adult I am fed up that my pastime is not only filled with kids (for games that are rated 17/18+) but that they act so terribly, clearly with no discipline either from their parents nor self-discipline that (usually) comes with adulthood.

What is the point in winning a game if either way I have to deal with disgusting insults and griefers?

Now this may be a slippery slope towards excessive action but we are not there yet.

I am quite interested to see how many young Koreans will set their alarm for 5:30am to early rise to a new online gaming session?

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
Wow, good on Microsoft indeed, Andy. At least the fun won't be ruined for everyone in South Korea now. Just the kids. :p

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Yeesh, tough break South Korea. But yeah, this should be the job of the fucking parents, not the government.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Treblaine said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Andy Chalk said:

-can't drive
-can't smoke
-can't vote
-cannot freely travel
-Can't procure alcoholic beverages (though in US, even 20 years olds cannot do that).

And come on, this is ONLY AFTER MIDNIGHT and only in compliance with South Korean laws! Why is it so important that 14 and 15 year olds keep playing multiplayer games through to 1am and 2am? I understand the precedent is severe and this may just be the thin end of the wedge but online networks DO have a problem with minors and this is a step in the right direction.

I welcome any period where all the whiny foul mouthed zero-accountability little brats on Xbox Live are gone. You only have to hear a fraction of the vile trash talk and the cracking pitch of their voice that it is largely young teenage boys who are responsible. As an adult I am fed up that my pastime is not only filled with kids (for games that are rated 17/18+) but that they act so terribly, clearly with no discipline either from their parents nor self-discipline that (usually) comes with adulthood.

What is the point in winning a game if either way I have to deal with disgusting insults and griefers?

Now this may be a slippery slope towards excessive action but we are not there yet.

I am quite interested to see how many young Koreans will set their alarm for 5:30am to early rise to a new online gaming session?
The problem with the things they can't do that you quote is that they have never in living memory been allowed to do this. This is something they (and I when younger) have been able to do up until now that is being taken away. Also isn't xbox live more than just on-line games, doesn't it not being available also affect some off-line activities.

As far as them being gobsh1tes when on-line, that is a completely separate issue that should result in bans all the time, not just at certain times of day by a 'nanny state'. If Microsoft can work-out there is a person under 16 so their live connection should be turned off at certain times, why can't they also work out that that under 16 should not be playing an over 18 game.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
If it's a parental setting you can turn on and off, fair enough. If not, who's business is it when someone's playing Video Games anyway? Kid gets back from a flight at 12 oclock, absolutely wide awake, and they can't pass the time playing Video Games?

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
RoseArch said:
Parents getting involved with their kids? In this day and age? What kind of backwater journalist are you. Ya hippie.
wouldn't he be a nazi? I mean Hippies are the reason kids today do not have any boundaries.

I've got a simple solution keep the damn modem in the head of household bedroom and just unplug the ***** when you go to sleep. If your kids steal it while you're sleeping well your the adult, lay down the law. Jeez kids today, you'd think they make the money in the house and parents just throw up their hands without trying. Use a little creative juices to solve your problems here.

I'm really not impressed with this law but then again since I'm living in a country with a bill of rights I would be at wits end.

I grew up in the north where it was very cold in the winter. Needless to say I had a thick skin for it. My parents used to argue with me about wearing more clothes as I was rather hot blooded. I don't know why I wouldn't (too long ago) but I wouldn't. So through the powers that parents wield they convinced me to be more prepared for the outdoors. They probably just told me I was being stupid (because I was.) I don't really see how parents are so powerless to their own children.

This anecdote is similar in that it is a very real problem that has a simple solution that MUST be implemented by parents, not the state. The differences are purely semantics and any grievances belong to the worlds smallest violin

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I'm all for this. Kids shouldnt be playing video games at 2am. Heres hoping the west follows their example.

Sometimes kids need protecting from themselves.

ph0b0s123 said:
The problem with the things they can't do that you quote is that they have never in living memory been allowed to do this. This is something they (and I when younger) have been able to do up until now that is being taken away.
Technology moves on. Things change (online gaming as a popular past time is still rather new) then new legislation is not unreasonable. At one point there were no laws regarding children and alcohol or cars or sex, someone had to live through those changes.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Treblaine said:
When I was 15 not only did I not have any internet at all but I had an 11pm curfew.

kids are spoiled these days.
My parents were pretty lenient, but if I said I was going to be home by 11, I was home at 10:59! There's dual responsibility these days and kids just have way too much of a sense of entitlement. Stupid little kids >:

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
RoseArch said:
I know, the nerve o' this guy. They parents already busted their humps making the kids, now they gotta raise 'em too?
I don't know what kind of world we're living in anymore.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Treblaine said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Andy Chalk said:

-can't drive
-can't smoke
-can't vote
-cannot freely travel

The problem with the things they can't do that you quote is that they have never in living memory been allowed to do this. This is something they (and I when younger) have been able to do up until now that is being taken away. Also isn't xbox live more than just on-line games, doesn't it not being available also affect some off-line activities.

As far as them being gobsh1tes when on-line, that is a completely separate issue that should result in bans all the time, not just at certain times of day by a 'nanny state'. If Microsoft can work-out there is a person under 16 so their live connection should be turned off at certain times, why can't they also work out that that under 16 should not be playing an over 18 game.
Hey, World War 2 was in living memory.

Hell, in Living Memory not only did Xbox Live not exist, not only did any online gaming not exist but the internet itself did not exist!

I'm sorry but when I was 15 I was not allowed to stay up past midnight playing online computer games nor ANY games!

doesn't it not being available also affect some off-line activities.
The it's not clear if it completely prevents you logging in or if it works like temporarily downgrading you from Gold to Silver membership. CERTAINLY you can still play singleplayer games. I have literally just finished playing a 1v9 black ops match against AI Bot opponents without any internet connection at all, playing against THAT many bots without backup is quite an interesting challenge. I've put a lot of hours into red dead redemption as well.

It doesn't affect offline activities at all. Of course. Even if it did, simple work around is to disconnect from internet and change the system clock.

If Microsoft can work-out there is a person under 16 so their live connection should be turned off at certain times, why can't they also work out that that under 16 should not be playing an over 18 game.
Good point.

Possibly because in the US the games ratings have always been presented as "parental advice" and not laws. In the UK, PEGI that replaces BBFC ratings have also been downgraded from mandate to advice.

My proposed solution is long standing: Give us user policed servers, like on PC. You need a "sheriff in town" (admin) to police places like game servers, just like these forums need mods. Matchmaking on Xbox there is no accountability, or it is separated too much over time. Worst is how big developers for Xbox like Cliff Blezinsky have gone on the record encouraging trash talking... and he has not publicly retracted such statements.