Watch 6 Pre-Rendered Minutes Of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Watch 6 Pre-Rendered Minutes Of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Yes, it's essentially just a trailer. But it's a REALLY LONG trailer!

In an effort to simultaneously promote the upcoming Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (the game hits the PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows platforms on March 20), and to assure fans that the game, despite being an online-capable, action-heavy third-person shooter, is very much a Resident Evil title.

So, let's have a look at how Capcom did, shall we?

Alright, so we've got the undead. Check. We've got questionable medical procedures. Also, check. Lickers clinging the ceiling? That's a check too. How about "hardened paramilitary badasses fighting amongst themselves and proving that even in a world overrun by biological horrors mankind is its own worst enemy?" Um ... yup. We've got that here in spades.

Okay, so, everything seems to be in order. Granted, we would have liked to see the developers go for bonus points with a well-timed Albert Wesker cameo, but that aside, this clip does appear to be from a genuine Resident Evil game. Especially the bit at the very end where the game's marketing team attempts to sell you on a $70 special edition by promising alternate downloadable costumes and random art trinkets.

That's textbook Capcom.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/01/09/umbrella_and_spec-ops_soldiers_collide_in_new_operation_raccoon_city_triple_impact_trailer]

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I've gotta say, I was never a big fan of the resident evil series, but this one looks interesting.

Three sides, using zombies as weapons, bad guys who actually have character and are not just some henchmen you kill off before the next level (granted, that may be just the trailer). Looks fun.

TephlonPrice

Dec 24, 2011
Hmmm....

Well I'm a little put off here.

I'm wondering just why the hell a resistance group is trying to question mercs instead of ya know, working with them? And why the mercs just don't accept the offer & exploit them as free zombie fodder? Or how the hell no one is say, focused a bit more on the ZOMBIE threat, not the other assholes with SMGs?

Not to mention I'm kinda wondering about that T-103 Tyrant... looks like one hell of a zombie. Definitely could be a challenge there. And I'm wondering just how much of the environment can be turned into a weapon, seeing how ammo might be a problem here.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
As much as I might end up regretting it, I'll get this game anyway. I've still got a soft spot for Resident Evil after all these years.

TephlonPrice said:
I'm wondering just why the hell a resistance group is trying to question mercs instead of ya know, working with them? And why the mercs just don't accept the offer & exploit them as free zombie fodder? Or how the hell no one is say, focused a bit more on the ZOMBIE threat, not the other assholes with SMGs?
The Wolfpack are just a division of the USS, like HUNK's division was. Though I don't think any of the trailers have given their objective yet, it's probably similar to HUNK's Alpha Team and they're just there to work behind the scenes for Umbrella. They're probably in there to destroy any evidence that might soil Umbrella's reputation. The other guys are government special ops apparently, looking to retrieve the evidence that the USS are trying to obtain.

It is September 1998 and the action centres on the ill-fated Raccoon City and the horrific consequences of the deadly T-virus outbreak, developed at the Umbrella facility. With a cover up required, Umbrella orders an elite team into Raccoon City to destroy all evidence of the outbreak and eliminate any survivors. Meanwhile, the US Government has quarantined the city and dispatched its own team of elite soldiers to determine the source of the mysterious outbreak. You are an Umbrella Security Services soldier (U.S.S.), competing alone or in up to four player co-op in a battle against all the competing forces at play in Raccoon City. Expect the return of original Resident Evil enemies, iconic landmarks such as the Raccoon City Police Department and fan favourite characters, including Leon S. Kennedy, who, as a rookie police officer in Raccoon City, is on your hit list to eliminate.
Taken from the official website.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Nice film...Oh wait, this is a trailer for a game. Why do they treat games like films? I'll admit, it looks good but what I'm really interested in is the actual gameplay

Eh, nevermind, it seems to be a game for L4D fans, not my cup of tea.