Petition Demands Sony Reset PSN Console Activation Limit

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Petition Demands Sony Reset PSN Console Activation Limit

If last year's PSN update turned your extra PS3s into paperweights that can't access your account, there's a new petition demanding Sony set things right.

Last November's update for the PlayStation Network was notable because it reduced the number of PS3's that could be linked to a specific PSN account. The update dropped the number down from five devices to two, a move that was largely met with indifference from the general public. Or so we thought! A new petition over at Change.org is asking SCEA Chairman Kazuo Hirai and SCEA Senior Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media Patrick Seybold.to reverse this decision because it (allegedly) turned peoples' consoles into "expensive paper weights."

Here's the entire text from the petition:

Many families purchase more then 2 PS3's and were able to fully use each console until the recent changes on 11-18-2011 stopped any activated PS3 beyond the first two from being able to download any more from the PSN. This has effectively turned many PS3 consoles into very expensive paper weights!

Currently, there are only 63 signatures on the petition, but you can head over to add your name to the list if this is something you feel strongly about. Personally, I'd like to know what number constitutes "many," mainly because I don't know of any households with more than two PS3 consoles operating on the same PSN account.

Source: <a href=http://www.change.org/petitions/chairman-sony-computer-entertainment-of-america-restore-the-original-5-ps3-activations-policy>Change via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/01/09/petition-restore-five-ps3-activations-psn>GamePolitics

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I see why they did it, it's a money grab. It doesn't affect me, but I can understand. If I had 3 consoles in three different rooms and wanted to have access to all my same PSN stuff on each one, I would be mad. But they are essentially making people who own more than 2 consoles purchase PSN items for each one after 2. It's a dick move. Just another way Sony is trying to "make up" for poor profit margins for the majority of the systems life.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Baresark said:
I see why they did it, it's a money grab. It doesn't affect me, but I can understand. If I had 3 consoles in three different rooms and wanted to have access to all my same PSN stuff on each one, I would be mad. But they are essentially making people who own more than 2 consoles purchase PSN items for each one after 2. It's a dick move. Just another way Sony is trying to "make up" for poor profit margins for the majority of the systems life.
They did it to stop people giving out there psn account to game share.

OP I dont surport the move and i hope sony changes it back.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Can I just ask why it is such a big deal? I don't even see a need to own more than one PS3 in the first place, let alone understand why they don't just make additional accounts and just have one be the PSN download account and the rest just be for online gaming or something. I dunno. I guess I'm probably in the minority when I see a lack of reason for having enough PS3s to make this a problem.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
solidsnake101023 said:
Baresark said:
They did it to stop people giving out there psn account to game share.

OP I dont surport the move and i hope sony changes it back.
I don't think game sharing has much to do with it, since getting caught doing so could forfeit your entire PSN account. It's against the rules to give out your information which can also lose you your PSN account. I still think it's a money grab... That said, I don't think many people own multiple systems, let alone 5. It's a strange policy, either way.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
SilverUchiha said:
Can I just ask why it is such a big deal? I don't even see a need to own more than one PS3 in the first place, let alone understand why they don't just make additional accounts and just have one be the PSN download account and the rest just be for online gaming or something. I dunno. I guess I'm probably in the minority when I see a lack of reason for having enough PS3s to make this a problem.
You may not see a need to own more than one PS3 but many people do. For example, if you have 2 PS3's you can relocate to another room without moving the PS3 itself. I have 3 Gamecubes and 2 PS2's for that very purpose. I also have two Wii's but shit you download from Nintendo is WRONGLY tied to the console so you can't share, atleast you can move your disc based game and hopefully your save to the second Wii instead of moving the entire console.

I only have one PS3 and I have to move it from the living room to the bedroom when others want to watch TV in the living room. A second PS3 would be handy but I am not that rich.

Oh and making additional accounts; the stuff you buy from PSN is tied to an account so you wouldn't have access to your stuff on a different account. As it was, you could attach (activate) 5 PS3's to your PSN account, now you can only attach 2. I think the compromise should be 3, because I remember that video about "I have 3 PS3's".

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My friends keep asking if they could borrow my account. I've always said no, because to me, it's wrong. They didn't pay for the stuff. Now I'm glad I never gave them my stuff because it sounds like things would have gone badly.
I want Sony to be able to fix it to where you can transfer save data over from a dead PS3 to a new one. Not sure how that would work, but my old one died and I lost all those saved games. Good-bye countless hours of Final Fantasy XIII and Record of Agarest War. I miss you...Plus, now it sounds like if my new PS3 dies, there's no way for me to link another PS3 with my old account. Why the two limit? Three sounds like a reasonable number.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Activation limits annoy the hell out of me so i'm all in support. It'd be pretty easy to catch anyway, same account logged on at the same time in two completely different places?

Money grab.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I don't quite get it, does this affect PS3s that have been broken too? Or is it just for systems that are activated simultaneously?

Either way, I can see why people are pissed off.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I know a lot of people who own ps3's. For some reason this is one of the few areas where they're more popular then xbox, mid-westerners.
I only know one person who has 2 ps3's and that's because she and her partner are video game addicts. I do know another guy who's on his 3 ps3 because his first one an ex took with her when she left. (trust me wasn't worth going after) and the next one was stolen when he was moving. So he's probably pissed.

I think what sony is trying to stop is people 'file sharing' where they download something, give 4 friends their password and then let those 4 people download it to, switch back to their own accounts... you get the idea.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
I will never buy a product from Sony and I will always try to dissuade people from buying anything from them. Half of the copyrighted content on YouTube is unavailable to my country because of those bastards, they pioneered the sneaky, possibly hardware-breaking audio CD DRM, they treat their customers with absolutely no respect and let's not forget the tax evasion "other OS" scheme. PlayStation is the synonym for console in my country, but when someone says I will buy a PlayStation I always suggest buying a different console instead. I know this turned into a rant, but what can I say, I have every reason to hate Sony and I hope that people will stop buying their products after all the times Sony let their clients down.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I really don't see the problem here, because anyone that this is affecting likely is in a much higher tax bracket than I am. It's not that they have three or more PS3s, but rather that they have a need for that many duplicate consoles(i.e. they have a rather sizable domicile). Then there's the cost of the TVs and the electric bill of all of this... I just don't see the cost of having a second account being a true issue for anyone that can afford this life style.

Then again, I'm living paycheck to paycheck while trying to get a degree and support a family in a country where my money is worth shit. Oh, and we got an announcement at work the other day that there are going to be layoffs. At which point I have no idea what I'll do since it took me 10 months to find this job.

Yeah, no sympathy here.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Much as this tries to demonize Sony, like it needs the help, I have to wonder what household needs more than 2 Playstation 3's. I guess I am kind of spoiled in not being able to afford everything possible, but shouldn't people who can afford 3 or more consoles of that caliber also be able to afford more than one PSN account? Especially as you don't pay anything for a PSN account, anyway?

I actually don't see the issue here. Except that there are way too many people spoiled out of their gourds.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
I really don't see the problem here, because anyone that this is affecting likely is in a much higher tax bracket than I am. It's not that they have three or more PS3s, but rather that they have a need for that many duplicate consoles(i.e. they have a rather sizable domicile). Then there's the cost of the TVs and the electric bill of all of this... I just don't see the cost of having a second account being a true issue for anyone that can afford this life style.

Then again, I'm living paycheck to paycheck while trying to get a degree and support a family in a country where my money is worth shit. Oh, and we got an announcement at work the other day that there are going to be layoffs. At which point I have no idea what I'll do since it took me 10 months to find this job.

Yeah, no sympathy here.
I know what you mean, I graduate with a master's degree in architecture in less than a month and I have no idea what I will do after that. I will have to go and live with my parents, because even working at a cash register or working as a janitor requires 2 years previous experience at this point and working in an architecture firm requires being a relative to the boss, regardless of experience. Oh, and in my country the rent equals the average starting wage, which is not even enough to feed you. But there is a good reason for our poverty, we are the only country in the EU that is increasing its credit rating. Go BULGARIA, the country that gets less poor while its people starve!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Are they still Sony Computer Entertainment America(SCEA)? I thought they changed that to Sony Network Entertainment America(SNEA) for convenience in that court case against console modding last year to tie the hardware to the service.

OT: I'm not directly affected by this but most changes to the EULA for Sony tend to bring a more negative experience to the end user lately.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
And yet I don't see anyone complaining about only being able to access their Xbox live account on one system at a time.

Who has multiple 300 dollar consoles of the same manufacture in their house? And why, beyond game sharing, would they need them? I can understand having multiple consoles for multiple children and having different accounts, especially since it's free, but other than that, why?
Sounds like the "other OS" debate. If you don't need a feature it doesn't mean others don't and it doesn't mean that Sony is justified in taking it away.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
... It amazes me that Sony does things like this and then wonders why people hate them. Of course it also amazes me that they do things like this and maintain a customer base.

As far as the number of PS-3 units goes, I can see the problem. Plenty of families with multiple kids wind up buying multiple units so they won't fight over who gets to play, and your going to wind up with the family wanted to share an account in many cases. Let's say you've got three kids who each have one in their bedroom, and then the parents have one which they might use occasionally and also to monitor what content is in the account, that's 4 units. You also doubtlessly have situations where people might have like a home unit, an office unit, and say a unit inside of a car or RV. It all depends on how much money you have, your needs, and what's practical.

At the same time I can see how Sony wants increased control over their network, and the way how content, especially digital content, is handled by liscences I think they want to reduce the number of viably liscenced machines out there.

I mean it's nonsense, but I can sort of see why they would do it. But then again I've been gradually becoming anti-Sony since they removed the backwards compadibility from the "newer" PS-3 models. That, the removal of the other OS option, this... really I've been a big supporter of Sony's gaming since the original Playstation, but come the next generation whatever it may be I'm not sure if I'm going to invest in them given how they have been treating their customers. If I can't trust in keeping the quality of, and capabilities of my product why should I give them my money? What's more I'm amazed that they would want to backstab consumers who have bought more than two of their consoles... that's quite a bit of cash for a person to send their way.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
A household that can afford 3+ PS3s should be able to afford more than one single PSN account, shouldn't it...?