Wheel Of Time Games And Movies In The Works

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wheel Of Time Games And Movies In The Works

Red Eagle Entertainment [http://us.macmillan.com/Author/robertjordan].

Rick Selvage, a former IBM executive who along with fellow ex-IBMer Larry Mondragon formed Red Eagle Entertainment in 2003, said Red Eagle Games - a new division created specifically to take advantage of the Wheel of Time videogame license - will create a series of games that will launch in conjunction with the Wheel of Time movies [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990464.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562] being developed at Universal Pictures, as well as a new MMOG based on Jordan's fantasy universe. "We've got a huge running start with this property," Selvage said. "We expect to have a game based on every movie, and we expect no less than three movies, though that depends on how well each does."

Selvage said that financing for the movie is in place, but that he is just beginning to raise money for the game studio. Despite the obvious risks of sinking big bucks into the development of movie-based videogames, particularly when it's the only trick in the bag, he claimed the response thus far has been enthusiastic because of the perceived value of the franchise rights: The Wheel of Time books have sold more than 44 million copies in 24 languages worldwide, and have inspired a D20-based RPG, a collectible card game, graphic novels and more. Red Eagle Games plans to start hiring staff in the coming months, Selvage said, adding that he wants to hire "rock star" developers to create the game.

This won't be the first time Jordan's epic series has received the videogame treatment: The Wheel of Time [http://www.wotmud.org/] FPS that was actually quite good but sold poorly and quickly faded into obscurity.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2008/11/12/red-eagle-to-make-multiple-films-and-games-based-on-robert-jordans-wheel-of-time-books/]

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Is the game going to be the final book in the series or are we still out to lunch on that question?

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Awesome news, I lovedthe books. And the wait until it'll come out will give me time to read the ones I haven't yet and hopefully the 12th when it's finally released by whoever's taken over the duty of writing it now.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Word on the street is that the 12th book is being written by Brandon Sanderson based on notes, recordings and chapters already written by Jordan. The games are being developed to coincide with the movies, so presumably they'll follow the books chronologically - although it's still very early in the process and anything can happen.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Phsst, WoT is far too deeply developed a series to be completed in a bare trilogy of movies. It really deserves a television series, on the level of Rome on HBO, to cover it all enough.

The problem with the games is that because they're going to just knock out movie-based games they'll be just be copy/pasting the plot of the screenplays into the game. It'd be far better to create an open-world RPG where the events of characters occurred simultaneously and the player could wander about performing crucial tasks for different factions without being a central figure in the novel. Like Bethesda's games but without that reliance on waiting for the player to come and trigger the event. Just have stuff happening, keep the player aware, and let them choose whether they walk in the Light or go over to the Shadow.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I have to say, having read most of the books, I will be looking forward to this. Hopefully it won't be terrible.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Who needs more Wheel of Time videogames when the MUD exists? It's incredibly detailed and fun to play and interact with the other Wheel...ites. (Wheelies? Robert Jordan fans). I'm glad you mentioned the MUD, author, as it's a shining gem in a vast, dank dungeon full of games that try to pay homage to a source series, but fail miserably.

Even if the video game(s) and movies are rubbish, at least it will expose more people to Robert Jordan's work! 44 million copies sold is an amazing number, but his works deserve to be read by those outside the sci-fi/fantasy realm. WoT is much better than the LOTR, yet is lost in the crowd of modern Fantasy novels. =(

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks that to makes games and movies out of the wheel of time, they would have to be made so well that you may as well not even try?

Then again, thought the same thing about the Lord of the Rings.

Sorry, I gave up on the books at like #9 or 10. I hear Rand lost his hand to a fireball though. I also heard poor Mr. Jordan got very sick- he's passed away I take it?

Anyway I did like the books but goddamn they did drag on. Also Robert Jordan obviously had some very serious issues with women.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Yeah, Robert Jordan died a while back unfortunately, I -think- he was working on the last book with his wife, but I haven't really seen anything on it lately.

Nov 28, 2007
GothmogII said:
Yeah, Robert Jordan died a while back unfortunately, I -think- he was working on the last book with his wife, but I haven't really seen anything on it lately.
From what I understand, he left copious notes behind, so the last book is still getting published.

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
So... Yeah. I wonder if there is going to be a mechanic for Marginalizing all your female characters about halfway through the game (around book 4 or five, they tend to blur the lines a bit) because you suddenly decide you hate women.

Also, you should get bonuses for ripping off Dune as much as possible.

And I really hope there's at least some game play focused around bogging down the story with entire chapters describing your sex fantasies in disturbing detail.

Sorry, I used to reallly like WOT until I realized just how shitty it is.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Hawaiigm said:
So... Yeah. I wonder if there is going to be a mechanic for Marginalizing all your female characters about halfway through the game (around book 4 or five, they tend to blur the lines a bit) because you suddenly decide you hate women.

Also, you should get bonuses for ripping off Dune as much as possible.

And I really hope there's at least some game play focused around bogging down the story with entire chapters describing your sex fantasies in disturbing detail.

Sorry, I used to reallly like WOT until I realized just how shitty it is.
Hehe yeah. I mean Aiel? Can you say Fremen loud enough?

Still, I like it, I always think of the series as a kind of upbeat Dune without all the navel gazing and combined with a pinch of The Sword of Truth. Not too much Sword of Truth mind, that would go far over the borders of S&M into the land of pure sadism hah!

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
I love the search button; find gems like this thread! I'm totally pumped for the games; The movies... Ehh.. I hope to hell they don't butcher it.. But, then again, they might just be good for the book, sometimes there was alot of dialogue I would have cut out myself... oh, and the women of that book... gah, so easy to despise.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Aegwadar said:
I love the search button; find gems like this thread! I'm totally pumped for the games; The movies... Ehh.. I hope to hell they don't butcher it.. But, then again, they might just be good for the book, sometimes there was alot of dialogue I would have cut out myself... oh, and the women of that book... gah, so easy to despise.
Jordan CLEARLY had some latent hostility issues, idealizing women as shrew's who melt into whores when you get a little rough with them. Read those damn books and tell me i'm lying.

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Aegwadar said:
Jordan CLEARLY had some latent hostility issues, idealizing women as shrew's who melt into whores when you get a little rough with them. Read those damn books and tell me i'm lying.

Oh I figured that at the LEAST... lol, I should have clarified which females; the three mains, Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne.. Gah..

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Aegwadar said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Aegwadar said:

Oh I figured that at the LEAST... lol, I should have clarified which females; the three mains, Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne.. Gah..
They're interchangible since they're all the same person. As is every other woman in the book. Who apparently always needs a love interest to "challenge her spirit" and settle her down, in a nice nudge nudge winkwink of sexism. And i'm a dude. I NEVER call sexism.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Hah, a game based on a movie based on a book. 2 levels of adaptation decay tells me this wont work out well.

Muunokhoi

May 18, 2012
TsunamiWombat said:
Aegwadar said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Aegwadar said:

They're interchangible since they're all the same person. As is every other woman in the book. Who apparently always needs a love interest to "challenge her spirit" and settle her down, in a nice nudge nudge winkwink of sexism. And i'm a dude. I NEVER call sexism.
As an avid reader of Robert Jordans novels I need to clear this mess up before it becomes engraved in your brain. The apparent 'sexism' you see in the novels is actually a subversion of an aged old rule that men are strong and woman are weak which is predominantly used in fantasy middle age novels. In a world where men with great power went insane and destroyed everything women quickly took power and showed that even in a great position of power they too would look down on the opposite gender do you get it now.

Summary: It dosen't matter what gender holds the majority of power they will always marginlise the opposite gender.