Mojang Releases First Official Minecraft Update

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Mojang Releases First Official Minecraft Update

Back when Minecraft was in beta, its already ridiculously large fan-base was treated to considerable updates on a regular basis. But, since the game went "official" in November of last year, the community that had come to expect consistent additions have since found little different in the lonesome land of blocks and zombies they call home. They should be happy to hear, however, that as of today, the game is finally receiving some post-release attention.

Minecraft Update 1.1 fixes a few bugs while tweaking some gameplay. Here's a list of some of the changes straight from the developers' official blog:

- Bow Enchantments
- Golden Apple recipe
- New language translations
- Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
- Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
- Added spawn eggs to creative (the colors of the eggs even look like the mobs)
- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
- Removed collision box from ladders
- Sheep eat grass and regain their wool

The blog post also linked to a video (as seen above) about the update, made by popular YouTube Minecraft movie makers, H.A.T. Films.

Personally, I'm not a Minecrafter (Minecraftsman? Minecraftifarian?), but as a gamer, I can definitely understand how important it is that a developer continue to offer its attention to a popular game, especially one so naturally evolutionary as Minecraft. While the community has yet to see any major changes, I wouldn't be surprised if the team makes some key additions in the near future (after they fix the mobile edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.337648-Mojang-Admits-Minecraft-Pocket-Edition-Plans-May-Have-Been-A-Huge-Mistake], that is).

Source: The Mojang Blog [http://mojang.com/2012/01/12/minecraft-1-1-update/]

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of NOT fixing a majority of the pointed out flaws and bug fixes? That, you know, they were supposed to have already figured out?

Not that it really matters to me, I don't play MC much anymore. But I just found it kinda apparent from everything I'm hearing.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Averant said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of NOT fixing a majority of the pointed out flaws and bug fixes? That, you know, they were supposed to have already figured out?

Not that it really matters to me, I don't play MC much anymore. But I just found it kinda apparent from everything I'm hearing.
So fixing bugs is bad? I don't seewhat you are getting at. The major bugs have mostly been gone from release, but Mojang has stated that they WANT to keep adding stuff, and the comunity want the new additions. That menas that there will always be new bugs. What should mojang do, stop updating? Thepoint of release was not that the game was done, they said that from start, it was just a milestone.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Averant said:

Half Hearing actually. Read the blog maybe?

Mojang said:
Below is a list of some of the added features:

- Bow Enchantments
- Golden Apple recipe
- New language translations.
- Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
- Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
- Added spawn eggs to creative (the colors of the eggs even look like the mobs)
- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
- Removed collision box from ladders
- Sheep eat grass and regain their wool

Plus many bug fixes!
Haven't got round to playing Minecraft since it's official launch. Skyrim has been taking up most of my gaming time anyway.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
ShaneGunWolf said:
Sweet, now I can keep sheep fenced in! Assuming the grass grows back...

EDIT: Loved the video, BTW.
Nope. But using bone meal will make it grow back in huge batches.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
so does this not fix the terrible box villages full of squidwards that wander around and do nothing?
my only problem with the game is that now there are useless villages cluttering up the world, adding nothing to the game.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Personally, I'm not a Minecrafter (Minecraftsman? Minecraftifarian?)
I believe the correct term for a journeyman in the discipline of minecraft is "minesmith".

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
ShaneGunWolf said:
Sweet, now I can keep sheep fenced in! Assuming the grass grows back...

EDIT: Loved the video, BTW.
Nope. But using bone meal will make it grow back in huge batches.
Grass grows back. Tall grass (the bonemeal kind of grass) doesn't, but the sheep eat both. Unless something's changed since the last snapshot.

Braedan said:
so does this not fix the terrible box villages full of squidwards that wander around and do nothing?
my only problem with the game is that now there are useless villages cluttering up the world, adding nothing to the game.
They've hired a guy whose main job seems to be improving mob AI. So far nothing obvious, he's been revamping things behind the scenes to learn the code and make the AI stuff easier to deal with. Once he's got that cleaned up, though, he plans to work on improving the wolves and villagers. http://twitter.com/jonkagstrom (or specifically https://twitter.com/#!/jonkagstrom/status/157007212844298240 )

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Please, please tell me they've fixed double doors. So annoying having to set up a redstone array under one of the doors to get them to work right.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Nothing substantial here, mainly just flat land for building stuff. Actually it just seems like this update was for people who want to build automatic mob killing machines.

When they have more support for mods and custom maps, call me.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
And the Yogscast folks are all over it, as usual. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbghsTyIbO0]

Braedan said:
If that's honestly your only problem with the game, you're probably the most satisfied Minecraft customer in the world.

wintercoat said:
Please, please tell me they've fixed double doors. So annoying having to set up a redstone array under one of the doors to get them to work right.
*checks*

Nope.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
1.1 may be ushering in a new ice age.

One of my stations is built right on the border of a snow biome and a forest biome, with a river running through both. Since the update the river in the forest biome has started to freeze over, which it's never done before. It looks like ice is starting to freeze adjacent water, regardless of the biome that water is in. I wonder how far it'll spread.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Stock up on wool, people. It's going to be a cold winter.

See the bridge? Prior to 1.1 everything to the left of the bridge was forest, and it never snowed there.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Glademaster said:
I don't like the removal of collision from the ladders as it has basically ruined many adventure maps.
Yeah, that does seem like a double edged sword. On one hand, It's easier to go into holes that have a ladder, because you don't have to worry about colliding with it. On the OTHER hand, it makes coming OUT of that hole a problem, since you can no longer stand on top of the ladder. Wonder how long until they revert to the old ladders due to customer rage...

Jun 11, 2008
Sixcess said:

See the bridge? Prior to 1.1 everything to the left of the bridge was forest, and it never snowed there.
That's funny because in 1.0 my biomes were reset so the Tundara became a forest and my Forest became snow along with the desert nearby.
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Glademaster said:
I don't like the removal of collision from the ladders as it has basically ruined many adventure maps.
Yeah, that does seem like a double edged sword. On one hand, It's easier to go into holes that have a ladder, because you don't have to worry about colliding with it. On the OTHER hand, it makes coming OUT of that hole a problem, since you can no longer stand on top of the ladder. Wonder how long until they revert to the old ladders due to customer rage...
I much rather it the other way and I do hope they either add it back or a mod adds it back like Smart moving did with the ladder gap.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I like that the smoother biome transitions were retroactive. I was afraid this might be like the last biome update where it only affects new chunks. And hopefully the changes they did make aren't going to make all the seeds go to completely different maps again like in beta 1.8.

Sixcess said:

Yeah, that's gonna be a big chunk of my map come the next rain/snow, including probably the open roof of my one house.

Guess I'd better be prepared to start shoveling. Just like in real life!