Disney And Marvel Team Up For New Cartoon Programming

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Disney And Marvel Team Up For New Cartoon Programming

Starting this April, Marvel and Disney will provide you with an entire hour of cartoons jam-packed with comic-y goodness.

Marvel Comics is joining forces with parent group The Walt Disney Company to create a new programming block of comic-based cartoons. The block will include the return of popular series The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the launch of the delayed Ultimate Spider-Man.

The programming block is set to be called Marvel Universe (much like DC Nation, which was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114228-Cartoon-Network-Draws-On-Comic-Fans-With-DC-Nation>announced last year) and will air on <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_XD>Disney XD, starting April 1st, 2012. If you're a comic fan, I highly recommend you check out The Avengers, which <a href=http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Avengers_Earth_s_Mightiest_Heroes/70178215?trkid=2361637>can be streamed on Netflix.

Ultimate Spider-Man was announced nearly two years ago, based on the popular comic series created by Mark Bagley and Brian Michael Bendis. Here's the synopsis, according to Wikipedia:

As the series begins, Peter Parker has been Spider-Man for just one year. He has saved lives and fought supervillains, but he is still in the process of learning how to be a superhero. Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. offers Peter the chance to train to be a real superhero and become "The Ultimate Spider-Man". However, beforehand Peter will have to learn how to work with a team of four fellow teenage superheroes.

The voice cast for the show has some pretty big names involved, including Chi McBride (known for his work on House, Boston Legal, and Pushing Daisies), as Nick Fury, J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, Stan Lee as Stan the Janitor, Steven Weber (from Wings and Leaving Las Vegas as Norman Osborn, and Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Avengers) as Agent Coulson. That's right, Agent Coulson is crossing over from movies to television, and if you don't know why that's exciting than you clearly haven't seen the short film <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDQ8DNsvtmE>A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer.

Source: Comic Book Resources

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Sorry. As much as it brings me joy to see Agent Coulson getting some love and Chi Motherfucking McBride as Nick Motherfucking Fury, "Disney" and "Peter will have to learn how to work with a team of 4 fellow teenage superheroes" have killed and buried my interest in this.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Why? So they can pull it off the air after a year?

I'm sorry, I'm still a little bitter over them pulling Wolverine and the X-Men after they just showed the Four Horsemen and Apocalypse at the end, it was just getting so damn good!

I should like this, I really should, but I can't seem to care.

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
How long before they get sick of this Peter Parker and ruin/kill him like they did in the comics.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
this better be good, they cancelled the spectacular spider-man for this, and I fucking loved that show.

Apr 17, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Sorry. As much as it brings me joy to see Agent Coulson getting some love and Chi Motherfucking McBride as Nick Motherfucking Fury, "Disney" and "Peter will have to learn how to work with a team of 4 fellow teenage superheroes" have killed and buried my interest in this.
I know. I mean, on the one hand, Chi Mcbride and JK Simmons as voice artists, on the other...four fellow teenage superheroes. What is this, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends? And who exactly are the 'fellow teenage superheroes'?

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Yes YES YES! I loved Ultimate Spiderman up until they killed him just so they could have a black teenager be spiderman and gain publiicty, just because people on the internet were anger that marvel declined a black actor for the role in the new spiderman movie. Such a sham what they did to peter

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
J.K Simmons as J Jonah Jameson? Awesome, I love him in that role. Let's hope they keep this longer than Spectacular Spider-Man

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Varya said:
J.K Simmons as J Jonah Jameson? Awesome, I love him in that role. Let's hope they keep this longer than Spectacular Spider-Man
From your lips to God's ears. I have the entire DVD set of that cartoon... such a shame that they weren't able to fund it after the second season.

lord's voken

Oct 9, 2011
spectacular spiderman went off the air because sony lost the tv rights to air. it was either that or the new spiderman reboot movie we're getting.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
lord said:
spectacular spiderman went off the air because sony lost the tv rights to air. it was either that or the new spiderman reboot movie we're getting.
I remember Quesada saying they couldn't secure funding for it... or maybe that was Wolverine and the X-Men? Also, I'm sure that Disney acquiring Marvel probably had all sorts of ramifications with productions being worked on by others groups.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Another Spider-Man cartoon? Come on, we just had one. Why not do a superhero that hasn't had a lot of mainstream exposure yet, like...

Actually, I can't think of many Marvel superheroes that haven't already had a series or isn't widely inappropriate, like Deadpool, Moon Knight or Ghost Rider.

So...go for it, I guess.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
TheFederation said:
this better be good, they cancelled the spectacular spider-man for this, and I fucking loved that show.
Spectacular was the Best Spoderman toon as of yet, heck it might be the best Spiderman media ever made, its going to be hard to top it or even get close.

And I am very glad that Marvel isnt backing down, with DC and CN putting out the DC Nation Block, and Hasbro pushing for new shows on the Hub, these might be some of the most interesting times in animation since the 90s.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
vansau said:
The voice cast for the show has some pretty big names involved, including Chi McBride (known for his work on House, Boston Legal, and Pushing Daisies), as Nick Fury, J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, Stan Lee as Stan the Janitor, Steven Weber (from Wings and Leaving Las Vegas) as Norman Osborn...
I feel this image is appropriate:

OT: Spiderman working with four other superheroes?...But wasn't Spiderman always the solo-type hero? I mean, the character doesn't exactly fit into a team dynamic...

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
vansau said:
The voice cast for the show has some pretty big names involved, including Chi McBride (known for his work on House, Boston Legal, and Pushing Daisies), as Nick Fury, J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, Stan Lee as Stan the Janitor, Steven Weber (from Wings and Leaving Las Vegas) as Norman Osborn...
I feel this image is appropriate:

OT: Spiderman working with four other superheroes?...But wasn't Spiderman always the solo-type hero? I mean, the character doesn't exactly fit into a team dynamic...
Not ENTIRELY true, in the main continuity he's best friends with the fantastic four and when the Human Torch died he took his place (FYI, he got better), he's also an active member of the avengers. Hell, he did those both at the same time.

This part however is based off of the Ultimate Comics (BTW, I fucking adored the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, I have every single issue, from start to finish in first print, as well as all of ultimate team-up and the annuals) where he has often hung around the Ultimated (the ultimate universe version of the avengers), though he's never really been part of the team and he has been close friends with the X-Men and in the beginning Nick Fury said that once he turned 18 (he died before he turned 18) he belonged to him because he was an illegal genetic superhuman (not the words he used, but same meaning in the end) which he later explained meant "You WILL be a part of my team, the Ultimates".

So yeah, there is a massive precident for Spider-Man working with others.

One thing that caught my eye was how it said that this was based on the Ultimate Spider-Man character, hense the name, and how it was a year into his career. Well, according to the comic's official time line Spider-Man died after 1 and a half years of having his powers. I know this will obviously count as another alternate universe so that they can do what they need to do to make the show work, but I still find it somewhat amusing. 6 months to live. *****.

Couldn't help but see the mentions of the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon. That show was amazing, not by cartoon standards, but television in general, it was fucking masterfully done.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I hate this cause I miss Wolverine and The X-Men and also that Spider Man show they had along side Wolverine, that was really good but never got a second or third season. Fucking stupid asss networks always pull off the good shows just as they're getting really good

Green Ninja

Aug 10, 2009
I looking forward to this show. The trailer looked really nice and at least it sticks to the source material. Not unlike a certain show about a certain Genius Billionaire Playboy Philantropist who got turned into a teenager.

And just for the record: Wolverine and the X-Men wasn't nearly as good as X-Men Evolution :)