The Old Republic

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
This is why I stopped caring about Light vs Dark while leveling and started playing my characters based on what I think they would actually do. My Jedi is an overconfident, arrogant person who takes great pride in his abilities. He won't leave a serious threat to the order or republic alive, but he also doesn't just mindlessly slaughter for fun. He's willing to help those in need, but is more then happy to accept rewards for his work, even if he doesn't demand them. So far he's level 25 and jumps back and forth on the line of Light 1. It makes the game a lot more interesting, and adds a huge amount of depth and personal interest to my char rather then just, oh I'm a Jedi, lets hit light for everything. And once I'm 50, and all the story is done, I can just farm all the way light or dark for gear requirements running flashpoints.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
You aren't a good bounty hunter if you keep killing your bounties. In this, some of the dark side options make even less sense than for other characters.

Besides, tracking and killing is an assassin's line of work; not a Bounty Hunter.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Having played the Beta it comes down to:

LS Smuggler: While they call themselves a smuggler they do have lines they wont cross, and actually do have a heart of gold :ie Episode 6 Han Solo and Lando
DS Smuggler: Money, money, money, me, me me! Does what they have to get some more credits, and really puts themselves or ship first: ie Episode 4 Han, and early episode 5 Lando

Pretty much a LS smuggler is Malcolm Reynolds, while the DS smuggler really does come off like a criminal.

LS Bounty Hunter: Cares more for the hunt rather than the kill, and is more about the honor of the trade than the credits of the trade: ie think Old West BH who works on always bringing baddies to trial.
DS Bounty Hunter: Will kill or capture anyone for their job, and really does at times come off as a psycho for hire: ie Jubal Early from Firefly

Really LS characters are people who hold to honor and do what they feel is right.
DS characters do what they are told, and actually have more loyalty to their employer.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I like to mercilessly sass my betters as a dark side imperial agent. I have been electrocuted by sith lords A LOT.

Dark side responses seem to be about 20% more fun than light side ones. Although I have a rule that if an npc makes me laugh then they get to live.

Me: You really are too stupid to be a spy
Woman: I knew that ignorance would come in handy one day
Me: (LOL) okay you can live.

DVS BSTrD said:
Light on the force means light on the credits.
I like that. I'm gonna steal that.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Nothing says Light Side like launching a bunch of kitties into the sun.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Light on the force means light on the credits.
This is soooooooo true in any moral choice. Good guys want crap too you know. Assholes shouldn't get stuff, it breeds more!!

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, pretty much agree.

My Smuggler is a decent guy, but dude's got to get paid. My things don't buy themselves, after all.

Agent does whatever is good for the Empire. Well, this is until after Chapter 1, where he learned things, now he's basically two-face. Every moral choice boils down to a coin-toss.

He was pretty shaken up at the revelation.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
My Smuggler is generally a good guy and I will pick the light side choices most of the time..

..But when it comes to profiting and doing some dirty work to get paid... I'll happily pick the dark side choice.

Doing light side choices 100% of the time just to get light side points is boring... and IMO, a method of just gaming the system to get the light side perks faster. Bad role playing.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
InB4 "This is a horrible mechanic and I'll never ever buy this game because of this!"

To be honest while most of these comics just mildly to moderately amuse me, this one got a lol or two out of me. Great stuff.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I have a simple solution: Make your character concept more complicated than Dark or Light aligned.

I currently have four characters and I've made and deleted four others. Out of all eight of those characters, only one has hit Dark I, and I anticipate that one more will hit Light I eventually. All others have been and will stay neutral, and even the ones who are Light/Dark likely won't hit rank II before level 40 and will probably never hit rank III.

There is no reason that you HAVE to make all Light decisions or all Dark decisions (yeah yeah, I know about relics, but those don't contribute THAT MUCH to your stats). Your smuggler could be fine with smuggling illegal spice and bioweapons, but draw the line at deadly kittens. It's quite satisfying to actually TRY being a character with some depth.

Besides, staying Neutral means that you don't have to worry about the stupid alignment restrictions that the game places on color crystals.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
Zachary Amaranth said:
Atmos Duality said:
Besides, tracking and killing is an assassin's line of work; not a Bounty Hunter.
Aren't Star Wars "Bounty Hunters" more akin to assassins anyway?
Nope they are still payed more to bring in people not to kill them... As seen in Ep 5 with Boba Fett worrying that han isn't worth anything to him if he gets killed. They can still get payed sometimes for bringing in a dead body, but they are then seen as being a bad bounty hunter.

In the words of Darth Vader when talking to the bounty hunters "You are free to use any methods necessary but I want them alive - no disintegrations! "

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I've really just done mine based on what I see the character as. That is, a Smuggler who's really a good guy, in the end, even if he's a bit hasty with blaster fire at times. That generally puts me on the light side of things, but I don't think I've actually giving a quest item to the person that originally requested it yet. There's always a second person going "Oh, she's a spy" or "Oh, they're slave collars".

/sigh.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
what happened to smuggling cheap fake designer products, from the star wars version of china? Or perhaps smuggling knock off military grade weapons as the real thing to the empire?

The above scenario is likely why storm troopers never could hit anything.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
In all fairness, during the course of the movies I think Han Solo only did actual smuggling work like twice, and both times it was rebel soldiers...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I'm a light-side bounty hunter, and I'm excellent at my job.
When I can, I capture rather than kill.
But as I'm a professional, I sometimes have to bloody my hands.
If the client wants no witnesses, there will be no witnesses.
Nothing personal; just business.