SOPA Storms Back

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SOPA Storms Back

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith says he expects SOPA markup hearings to resume in February.

Remember those heady days when we thought the Stop Online Piracy Act, better known as SOPA, was effectively dead in the water? Yeah, that was yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115265-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA]. Today, however, it looks like all that enthusiasm and Braveheart-esque cries of "Victory!" were misplaced and premature, as Lamar Smith, who introduced the bill in the U.S. House of Representatives, put out a press release today saying that markup of the bill is expected to resume in February.

"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy," Smith said.

"Due to the Republican and Democratic retreats taking place over the next two weeks, markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act is expected to resume in February," he continued. "I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues in the House and Senate to send a bipartisan bill to the White House that saves American jobs and protects intellectual property."

There was never any question that SOPA would be back in some form or other, at some point or other, but the hope, I think, was that it would take a little longer than this. Smith's version of events actually suggests that the delay was simply part of the normal course of legislative business, and that White House criticism of the bill had nothing to do with it. That's not particularly encouraging either.

I also find his reference to "foreign thieves" to be deeply offensive, although it's hardly the first time SOPA proponents have played the "dirty foreigner" card - but being one myself, I suppose I may be a little over-sensitive to such things.

Source: Techdirt [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120117/12563317437/its-baaaaaaaaack-lamar-smith-says-sopa-markup-to-resume-february.shtml]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SOPA will pass and then be repealed after the consequences are fully realized. Did anyone expect it to be completely gone?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I also find his reference to "foreign thieves" to be deeply offensive, although it's hardly the first time SOPA proponents have played the "dirty foreigner" card - but being one myself, I suppose I may be a little over-sensitive to such things.
I seem to recall one episode a few years ago, covered by you no less, about the US calling all us Canadians the evil pirates of North America.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
SOPA will pass and then be repealed after the consequences are fully realized. Did anyone expect it to be completely gone?
I think you're pretty optimistic. But I knew it was coming back.

...I just didn't expect it to rise in a day.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
For the love of Pete! Now my Newgrounds post is a lie! That's it, I'm joining the black out tomorrow on both my Youtube and My Newgrounds account (I'll keep this one up to have something to do).

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
I'm either deeply miunderstanding something or he's making no sense.

'Foreign thieves'? I thought SOPA only affected US citizens... and even if I'm wrong, it's still offensive.
Look at our foreign policy. We're all about physically stomping on soverignty so why not do it in a less visible way online?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Damn stubborn politicians, just let SOPA die.

"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy,"
So now its only us foreign people that pirate then is it?

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I think you're pretty optimistic. But I knew it was coming back.

...I just didn't expect it to rise in a day.
Once Google relocates, felonies among 18-25 years olds skyrocket, and it brings about several lengthy (and expensive) court battles/challenges they will see how much they fucked up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Once Google relocates, felonies among 18-25 years olds skyrocket, and it brings about several lengthy (and expensive) court battles/challenges they will see how much they fucked up.
with a for-profit prison system and a model for entertainment media in which lawsuits are more money than actual product? I'd still say you're an optimist.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:

"To enact legislation that protects consumers, businesses and jobs from foreign thieves who steal America's intellectual property, we will continue to bring together industry representatives and Members to find ways to combat online piracy,"
He is a Republican. He had to get in at least one xenophobic comment.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is America. Where we condemn Mexicans for coming here and taking our jobs but defend corporations for sending jobs overseas. Are you surprised we'd call this a "foreign" issue? :p

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Primes gun*

Lock and load, people. This isn't gonna be pretty.

"Sir, is this gonna be a stand-up fight or another bug hunt?"

You stow that shit, Hudson!

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
with a for-profit prison system and a model for entertainment media in which lawsuits are more money than actual product? I'd still say you're an optimist.
Oh no, you forgot the fun part: watching a judge try to compare a law concerning the internet to a 200-year-old document to see if it fits the founders' intentions and if it is "constitutional".

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:

He is a Republican. He had to get in at least one xenophobic comment.
Yep, that's part of our policy. Everything we say has to include some form of xenophobia. Or xylophobia.

BTW, I really don't like these

OT: Oh well. I guess we have to keep fighting it.

Apr 28, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Andy Chalk said:
I seem to recall one episode a few years ago, covered by you no less, about the US calling all us Canadians the evil pirates of North America.
Well, this happened a few years back.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/178181

Or was it a different story? Either way, once again it's shown that Hollywood is either lying, or is flat-out incompetent. Perhaps both.