Hudson Soft Ceases to Bee

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hudson Soft Ceases to Bee

Venerable developer, Hudson Soft, the studio behind Bomberman, is being absorbed into Konami.

On March 1st, Hudson, whose logo you can see to the right, will effectively cease to exist. On January 12th, Hudson board members agreed for the company to be absorbed into Konami Digital Entertainment.

Founded back in 1973 by brothers Yuji and Hiroshi Kudo, Hudson Soft began as a shop selling telecommunications devices and art photographs. The company began producing games in 1978 and became Nintendo's first third-party software vendor for the NES. In 1983 it produced Bomberman for the MSX, certainly its most enduring franchise. More recently, Hudson developed the Mario Party numbers one through eight and 2010's Lost in Shadow. Sadly, the developer has produced little else of note, except the woefully bad Bomberman: Act Zero, in the past half-decade. It was acquired by Konami back in April of last year.

Despite Hudson's descent into irrelevance in recent years, it's still a touch sad to see one of gaming's oldest names retired. I do, however, take some solace in the fact that the company's passing did allow me to use an absolutely fantastic pun in this article's headline.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/comzo7/hudson_kaput/]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
And with that, my hopes of a new 3D Bomberman game to try and undo the sins of Act Zero die...
*sheds a small tear*

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
There's been a lot of buzz about this development.

Nice to see Husdon spreading their wings, let's just hope they don't get sucked into too much of a hive mind mentality at Konami.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I came into this thread because of the sheer awesomeness of its title.

And then I see the comments

I am a happy person.

It's unBEARable!

<__>

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I think it's time for another playthrough of the original Bomberman in homage.

Now make another awesome under-the-radar Kororinpa like the original (no ants, no plot, just puzzles) and all will be accepted gratefully, Konami.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
This thread is absolutely swarming with puns. It gets rather annoying reading you people drone on and on. Sure it's sad when a old name passes on, but that's what happens when your ideas fail to pollinate.
No need to bee such a drama queen, honey. Just agreeing with the workers, not being one of the usual drones :)

I'm sure whatever they produce next will be sweet nectar for our, er, ok I'll stop now

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
well i guess their games just don't generate enough buzz anymore to keep them afloat by themselves. although i cant help but think about how a lot of smaller game companies are absorbed into the larger ones these days.

i can't help but think that someday in the future, all games will be produced some giant company, it having absorbed all smaller companies before it into the hivemind...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
These puns are unbeelievable!
I'm really sad to see Hudson Soft absorbed though. They were really good.