Marvel MMO Receives Unreal Power-Up

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Marvel MMO Receives Unreal Power-Up

Even though Marvel Heroes will run in your web browsers, the game will feature Unreal Engine graphics.

Even though the Marvel Comics MMO - Marvel Heroes - has quietly been trucking along for a while, but little has been revealed about the game. Gazillion Entertainment (the parent company of Secret Identity Studios, which is developing the game) has just announced that the free-to-play MMO will run on the Unreal Engine 3.

Jeff Lind, Secret Identity's studio director explained why the developer decided to go with the Unreal Engine as opposed to developing something in-house:

"We love Unreal Engine 3's streaming system. It's made our entire technical approach possible and is easy to work with. We also love the flexibility we get from the actor components, which have empowered us to make all kinds of customizations without sacrificing the built-in features of the engine."

The MMO has been generating a lot of interest (and skepticism) with what little's been revealed about it. The title will be a free-to-play browser game, and instead of creating unique characters who work alongside iconic characters - like other superhero MMOs - you'll play heroes like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Thor.

At the moment, a release date for Marvel Heroes has yet to be announced.

Source: Industry Gamers

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
vansau said:
The MMO has been generating a lot of interest (and skepticism) with what little's been revealed about it. The title will be a free-to-play browser game, and instead of creating unique characters who work alongside iconic characters - like other superhero MMOs - you'll play heroes like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Thor.
and ... that pretty much guarantee's I'll not be touching it.

i don't want to fight AS some one else's character, i wanna roll my own and fight WITH them.
really, are they just being lazy or what?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
*Groans* Sure, it sounds awesome. And it might look incredible. I mean, what's not to like about playing as Spidey and Thor and Iron Man and stuff like that? But...my thoughts go back to this: DC Universe Online.

Sure, DCUO is different because you play as sidekicks and you HAVE to create your hero and it's DC and stuff. But, I don't know, DCUO hurt me, you know. I had high expectations for it and it still sucks, even after all the re-vamps and stuff. And in all fairness, playing as your OWN character sounds more interesting than playing as, let's say, The Punisher. My character is me; it acts like me, I make decisions for him and it feels right. If I play as The Punisher, it's not gonna make sense for me to save an orphanage from a rampaging bulldozer just for the heck of it. Or to be polite! It's just.../sigh

I'll give it a shot, at least. Then I'll be able to compare both properly. But I don't know. I'm losing hope in those MMOs based on some already existing world/realm/reality.

IronCladNinja

Oct 5, 2009
This reminds of "Runaways" (a Marvel comic series) in which there's a child prodigy character named Alex Wilder who plays an MMO in which you can play as all the various X-Men and Avengers and such that are present in what for him would be real life. Just a fun fact.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
IronCladNinja said:
This reminds of "Runaways" (a Marvel comic series) in which there's a child prodigy character named Alex Wilder who plays an MMO in which you can play as all the various X-Men and Avengers and such that are present in what for him would be real life. Just a fun fact.
Kudos to you for knowing that piece of Trivia! I still have a copy of the "Dead End Kids" run on Runaways that Joss Whedon wrote *sigh*

Monty McDougal

Mar 15, 2011
I'm not really into RPGs that much so playing as the marvel characters sounds great. No very many games have really let you play as the obscure characters like Deadpool and stuff.