Fans Remake Star Wars 15 Seconds at a Time

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Fans Remake Star Wars 15 Seconds at a Time

Three years in the making, a fan-film recreating the first Star Wars movie finally sees the light of day.

George Lucas may be retiring [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115323-George-Lucas-is-Retiring-From-Film] from making blockbuster films, but that doesn't mean Star Wars fans will have to go without another re-edit of the sci-fi classic. Released this past Friday, one of the most ambitious fan-film projects, titled Star Wars Uncut, recreates the entirety of the original Star Wars film using dozens of fan-recreated scenes from the movie.

Started in 2009, the project allowed aspiring filmmakers to sign-up to cover specific 15-second chunks of the film, and be as creative as they liked in their remake. There's tons of brilliant takes on famous scenes from the film, from the opening title credits being written on Twitter and an internet forum, to the Death Star and Alderaan singing War's "Why Can't We Be Friends?" before the planet's untimely demise, and the final assault on the Death Star told with LEGOs, ASCII art, homemade CGI and paper cut animation.

There's so many unique takes on the classic film's scenes that it's hard to pick a favorite, though I got a kick out of Han's confrontation with Greedo in the Mos Eisley Bar recreated as a LucasArts' adventure game around the 50 minute mark. Check out the film here [http://www.starwarsuncut.com/watch], and tell us what your part is in the comments!

Source: CinemaBlend [http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Crowdsourced-Star-Wars-Uncut-Completed-Now-Available-Watch-Online-Free-28959.html]

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Thats one ambitious project. Its good to see people doing something they love.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
Is this really serious? I don't know whether to support or criticize this action. I mean, granted, I like seeing Star Wars as it originally was, but isn't it a bit hypocritical to be remaking Star Wars when the fans kicked George Lucas out because that's what he was doing?
Either way, it makes no difference to me. I didn't watch the film, (This is on my tablet) and I might have to see it later.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Fun fact: Matt and Graham from LoadingReadyRun can be found somewhere in this movie. Try to spot them if you can.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Alright, I made it in ten minutes, and I kinda feel like I've taken acid or something...

Don't get me wrong, this is a funny idea, and some of the scenes are downright impressive too, but I'm thinking limiting it to 15 seconds an artist only really accomplished the fragmenting of my mind. I kinda feel like this is what it must be to have a severe case of ADHD or something.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
They actually finished it? Wow, I've seen bits of it a few years ago, but it's done? Nice.

skot205

Jul 9, 2010
Finally. I have been waiting for this.
Vanguard1219 said:
Fun fact: Matt and Graham from LoadingReadyRun can be found somewhere in this movie. Try to spot them if you can.
41:32 to 41:47

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I really wish i had the time to watch it all,all i can do is just skip a lot and try to see most of it... But i gotta say, some people really have used their imagination for making a scene, using random stuff, from cats to sockpuppets to drawings to kids. And even LRR was in there, awesome.
So, yeah. This was brilliant.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
And theennnnn C&D. *waits*
Nope. As long as it remains non profit, Lucasfilm has been willing to overlook fan films. Hell, they even hold annual contests regarding them!

I've been following this one for a while, and I'm glad to see it's done.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Wow, that was actually incredibly awesome! I just skipped around, but a lot of it was really well done, and even more of it was really funny. Some of the wookies were hilarious, plus I love the use of kids and babies as x-wing fighter pilots. A lot of love and creativity must've gone into this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Crazy Legs said:
but isn't it a bit hypocritical to be remaking Star Wars when the fans kicked George Lucas out because that's what he was doing?
Not really, George got the fan backlash because he's done such an awful job. It takes real effort to spend hundreds of millions of dollar to ruin the charm of one of the most popular film series ever. It's good to see him moving onto new projects like Red Tails, Lucas going over and over his past work was just damaging.

Star Wars' greatest asset is it's charm, this has that.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
The Crazy Legs said:
Is this really serious? I don't know whether to support or criticize this action. I mean, granted, I like seeing Star Wars as it originally was, but isn't it a bit hypocritical to be remaking Star Wars when the fans kicked George Lucas out because that's what he was doing?
Either way, it makes no difference to me. I didn't watch the film, (This is on my tablet) and I might have to see it later.
I think you're kind of missing the point ... this is just a fun fan project kind of thing, done for love of the movie not some sort of statement about anything.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
This was actually pretty cool. Still watching it in parts. Only thing I dont like is some of the 15 seconds... the people didnt even try to resemble the movie. Cmon, two dogs just sitting there while you say the lines? Psha.

Though... 29:45 came around... I seriously almost think Obi Wan is Irish now.