Twisted Metal Coming With PSN Pass and a Day-One Patch

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Twisted Metal Coming With PSN Pass and a Day-One Patch

David Jaffe confirms that Twisted Metal will use the PSN Pass system in a long, and disappointingly expletive-free video.

"Yes, we are doing an online pass," he says at around the 16-minute mark. "No, I did not want to do an online pass."

The God of War director went on to explain that he's not opposed to the pass system on principle, adding that he's "torn on the online pass thing as a general philosophy." He didn't want the pass included in Twisted Metal [http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-98106-Twisted-Limited-Edition/dp/B003O6KWZK] because he wanted as few obstructions as possible between new players and the game's multiplayer content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114610-David-Jaffe-Doesnt-Want-Online-Pass-for-Twisted-Metal]. "We're treating this like a new IP" he said, before adding that if Twisted Metal brings in enough players, he wouldn't be against using PSN Pass in the sequel.

Regardless, the game will be using the PSN pass system. "It wasn't my call," adds Jaffe. "It's Sony's game, and they funded it, and I respect their decision."

A few other small details: Jaffe confirmed that bots will be available in local multiplayer, but only in 2-player splitscreen. 3-4 player splitscreen will also be limited to ten of the game's thirty-odd maps.

Jaffe confirmed there'd be a demo available before Twisted Metal launches on Valentine's day. There'll also be a small balance patch for the game on launch day. Jaffe explained that there are other changes he'd like to make, but they won't be implemented in the initial patch because he doesn't want players' first experience with the game being a long, annoying download. "We'd love to do future tweaks and adjustments to the game," he said, "and some of those hopefully will be level-based, and those might be a little longer. Key balance issues and some of the bugs."

Twisted Metal will be available for the PS3 on February 14th in North America, and February 17th in Europe.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, that's certainly a shame to hear. I respect Mr. Jaffe and I saw this coming a mile away and it's a real shame. Also, day one update?, wasn't that the reason that the game was postponed in the first place?, so that his team could polish the game a bit more?.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
*Facepalms*

Alright, Jaffe. At least you're being honest. It's Sony's fault, not your own. Okay. I can forgive you since you're giving us Twisted Metal Black for free as it is.

Now, about that demo. Valentine's Day is fast approaching. So...a demo should be here right about...NOW.

Say, while we're on this topic, I've noticed that when I bought used copies of MK, Uncharted 3 and...some other game I forget, I got the Online Pass free on the receipt. So really, the Online Pass is worth nothing. That whole "Buy new or suffer the consequences!" thing they're trying to do with the pass is null now. Or is there something I'm missing here?

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Grey Carter said:
"Yes, we are doing an online pass," he says at around the 16-minute mark.
Well, I'm out.

SupahGamuh said:
Well, that's certainly a shame to hear. I respect Mr. Jaffe and I saw this coming a mile away and it's a real shame. Also, day one update?, wasn't that the reason that the game was postponed in the first place?, so that his team could polish the game a bit more?.
Yes, that was precisely the reason. They're simply taking the piss now.

It's a pity, I was really looking forward to this game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sober Thal said:
This guy is a shit head, eh?

Based on this article, he is doing something wrong? I couldn't tell you what that is... something about a pass... What does that even mean?

You have to enter a code to use a game? That's a big deal for some people, eh? What?

Day one patch is a bad thing now?

My ignorance is abound here. Anyone care to explain this to me? What is the problem? I'll buy you a STEAM game (less than $10) if you can convince me something bad is happening here.

Seriously. I don't get it. Is this just an informative article? It sounds like a warning...
You are right, none of this is actually bad news. As a PC gamer I'm all too familiar with inputting a code to play the game I bought, let alone to play online. And a day one patch, as you say, isn't a bad thing at all.

OT: I love he said he didn't want to use a PSN Pass, it's all bullshit. Here is the thing about the PSN Pass that bothers me: It is only a matter of time before the money they make off the pass isn't enough. $10 isn't that big of a deal. And it hurts us people who trade games in since they will only lower the price of trade in credit on a game if it has an associated pass. But who the hell wants to play an online game on a console.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Sober Thal said:
PC gamers are already used to this, I know I do, with lots of cd-keys to input and *gasp* day one patches, but we're talking about consoles here, an online pass for a console game is pretty much a big deal for some people, because, just like EA's games, you need to buy the game new if you want to play the whole content, in this case the multiplayer, wich is the heart and soul of the whole game.

For someone who wants to buy the game used (many people), he/she needs to buy the multiplayer component via PSN, if it's like EA's games, it'll cost them $10. As for the day one patch, it's simply an inconvinience for some people who are not used to it, plain and simple.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
DannyJBeckett said:
It's a pity, I was really looking forward to this game.
No offense, but I doubt you were. Really if you're really looking forward to this game, you would tough it out. It's not like either will kill you or harm you. At most take up 10 or so minutes.

Which if you can't stand to do that, you must no offense have no patience at all.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Korten12 said:
No offense, but I doubt you were. Really if you're really looking forward to this game, you would tough it out. It's not like either will kill you or harm you. At most take up 10 or so minutes.

Which if you can't stand to do that, you must no offense have no patience at all.
It's not that I don't have the patience to wait for a 10-minute download, it's because with a game as, frankly, simplistic as Twisted Metal, delaying it to develop it further, and then needing a day-1 patch is a good indication of a lack of proper development.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
DannyJBeckett said:
Korten12 said:

It's not that I don't have the patience to wait for a 10-minute download, it's because with a game as, frankly, simplistic as Twisted Metal, delaying it to develop it further, and then needing a day-1 patch is a good indication of a lack of proper development.
I am sorry, are you a developer? Last time I checked, the game is good to go, but there is some last minute stuff which is revelead in QA testing that they can't put on the disc. Otherwise, the game would never come out as bugs would always be found.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Korten12 said:
I am sorry, are you a developer? Last time I checked, the game is good to go, but there is some last minute stuff which is revelead in QA testing that they can't put on the disc. Otherwise, the game would never come out as bugs would always be found.
No, I'm not a games-developer, but I am in fact studying to be one. The last videos I've seen for this game were from about 12 days ago, and the physics system was utter shite, even by Twisted Metal's standards; I hardly think that's going to be able to be put in a patch. The graphics are also below average for this day and age. As I said, this game was pushed back because they weren't finished developing the game in time. When a game is pushed back for this reason, it's obvious the publishers want it out ASAP, and that's going to force the developers to cut corners, leading to a sub-standard game.