UPDATE: Petition Demands White House Investigate SOPA Supporter

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
UPDATE: Petition Demands White House Investigate SOPA Supporter

Chris Dodd was a big supporter of SOPA. After an angry comment last week, a petition wants him investigated for bribery charges.

Former senator Chris Dodd left office in January, 2011. A month later, he was hired on as the president of the Motion Picture Association of America; so it's not surprising to hear that the man was a big supporter of the Stop Online Piracy Act. Now, in the wake of that horrible legislation's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115265-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA>fortuitous death, Dodd's made some statements that have earned him a lot of criticism. Actually, criticism is the least of the negative reactions brought on by his comments: A new petition is calling for the Obama Administration to investigate Dodd for bribery charges.

Last week, Dodd implied that Obama would have a much tougher time raising money in Hollywood after he publicly stated he planned to veto SOPA if it passed. "Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake," Dodd told Fox News. "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."

Unsurprisingly, this statement hasn't gone over too well with some folks. A petition at whitehouse.gov has sprung up and is accumulating signatures fast. According to the claim:

This is an open admission of bribery and a threat designed to provoke a specific policy goal. This is a brazen flouting of the "above the law" status people of Dodd's position and wealth enjoy.

We demand justice. Investigate this blatant bribery and indict every person, especially government officials and lawmakers, who is involved.

This isn't the first time the man said some controversial things in support of SOPA. After sites like Google, Wikipedia, and Reddit engaged in a Web-wide blackout last week, Dodd accused them of abusing their power and using their power to "intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests."

At the moment, the petition contains over 23,000 signatures. If it reaches 25,000, the White House will respond to it.

UPDATE: The petition has reached over 25,000 signatures. The Obama Administration will now respond to it, but exactly whom responds has yet to be determined. According to the We The People, "Petition responses will come from a variety of Administration officials, including staff at the White House. From time to time President Obama may respond directly to petitions, but we expect most of responses to come from other Administration officials."

Source: <a href=https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/investigate-chris-dodd-and-mpaa-bribery-after-he-publicly-admited-bribing-politicans-pass/DffX0YQv>White House via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/01/23/petition-asks-white-house-investigation-chris-dodd-mpaa>GamePolitics

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Why no link to petition?
^This.^
Or at least tell us where we can find it in case we happen to feel it's a good cause to sign in on.
Are you kidding me? It's at the bottom, next to "Source"

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Dodd accused them of abusing their power and using their power to "intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.
In other news: Hollywood speechwriter admits copy-pasting from "Public Statements 101, fourth edition". When asked about it he stated: "It's, like, what all the cool guys do, y'know?". More at seven.

Somehow I doubt a bribery investigation is going to get anywhere anytime soon though. Not because of any global conspiracy, but because in all likelihood he didn't even need to resort to illegal measures in order to get his point - and his money - across.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Why no link to petition?
^This.^
Or at least tell us where we can find it in case we happen to feel it's a good cause to sign in on.
The petition is the source at the bottom of the article. The one that says "White house."

And ninja'd, so I'll try and add something more.

I love seeing assholes get screwed over, especially by themselves. Don't you?

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I signed, power to the people baby! Die, Corporate America Die! Lets get back to when you know...it was harder to bribe politicians.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Sandytimeman said:
I signed, power to the people baby! Die, Corporate America Die! Lets get back to when you know...it was harder to bribe politicians.
The beginning of the universe? And even then there's some debate to what came before the big bang.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Why no link to petition?
And we're not asking for your money Dodd but we will be paying very close attention now that your job is at stake.
Here you go, share it with everyone you know.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/investigate-chris-dodd-and-mpaa-bribery-after-he-publicly-admited-bribing-politicans-pass/DffX0YQv

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
What is there to investigate? The case seems pretty clear. He pretty much admits it here
Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."
He openly threatens politicians who, unlike him, aren't corrupt enough to get bought.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Drummie666 said:
The petition is the source at the bottom of the article. The one that says "White house."
Yes, I noticed after I posted. Now I just need to figure out why my computer isn't letting me sign the petition.

Jan 27, 2011
Yeah, I heard about this...too bad it's not open to Canadians. I would sign that in a heartbeat.

vansau said:
At the moment, the petition contains over 23,000 signatures. If it reaches 25,000, the White House will respond to it.
ALREADY?! Holy cow...Come on, people!! DO IT! DO IT!! DO IT!!! Just a few more!

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
That would be when there were no politicians, right?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
"Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."

If your job is in danger, Dodd, then I'm running low on plutonium to power my DeLorean. People always need to hire old, rich, useless twits to run their companies, your financial future is secure.