Rumor Mill: Microsoft Ditching MS Points

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Rumor Mill: Microsoft Ditching MS Points

According to an unidentified source, Microsoft is looking to phase out its virtual currency system by the end of 2012.

Inside Mobile Apps claims Microsoft will be dropping its arbitrary points system in favor of a currency-based system. If true, this would affect the Windows Phone, the Zune Marketplace and Xbox Live.

The move would unify Microsoft's various price listings which are currently all over the place. XBLA content is bought with MS points, but prices for digital versions of full retail games are listed in dollars. Similar shenanigans occur in the Windows Phone marketplace; the app prices are listed in dollars, but users can make in-app purchases with MS points.

The change would also answer the common criticism that the points system is, some say deliberately, misleading. Currently, in the states, one dollar equates into about 80 MSP rather than 100, as many customers assume.

Microsoft is currently selling a form of currency as a product which presents all kinds of problems when it comes to international launches. Recently, the so-bad-it's-still-bad survival horror game Amy was delayed for a week when differing exchange rates produced a price disparity between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115108-Amy-Developer-Polls-Fans-On-Game-Price]. According to Inside Mobile App's source, once the point system is gone, all transactions will be based on the region of the purchasing account, hopefully producing more reasonable prices for European and Australian customers.

Thus far, Microsoft's only comment is that it "doesn't comment on rumours or speculation," though we'll keep you updated should they confirm, deny or announce anything.

Source: Inside Mobile Apps [http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2012/01/23/exclusive-microsoft-to-discontinue-its-virtual-currency-system-microsoft-points/]

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
So, they're switching MSP for actual currency? probably to get the most cash out of XBLA prices in Australia, and other places they overprice games.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
If this does happen, it will be very interesting to see what happens to the current MSP that people have on their accounts.
I have <100 or so, so I wouldn't really care if they phased out my points without giving me my money back, but what about people who have thousands of points on their accounts?
Converting these back to dollary-doos will be a clusterfuck that I would love to see.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
This kind of surprises me. I've always thought that the entire reason they used the MS point system isn't because of the exchange rates, but instead because packaging the points like that always forces you to buy more than you need.

Hrm.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
This kind of surprises me. I've always thought that the entire reason they used the MS point system isn't because of the exchange rates, but instead because packaging the points like that always forces you to buy more than you need.

Hrm.
Yeah this is exactly why I hope this rumors true. I've got like 300 ms points that have been sitting in my account for years that I just can't find anything worth spending them on.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
So, am I still going to be able to buy the cards from Gamestop. I don't like charging to my parents' credit card.
Also, are they going to convert all exsisting points people already own, because I've been planning on stocking up on points for some upcoming Skyrim DLC.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If this is true then I am delighted. I hate the point system. I am so happy Nintendo switched their system to say actual prices on the 3DS shop. It makes me aware of how much games actually costs so I can determine if they are worth it.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I never understood the whole alternate currency thing. All it does it make purchases inconvenient. People will always buy more stuff if it's convenient to.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I never liked the MS points system to begin with. I mean, you need to buy things on XBLM using digital transfer methods to exchange currency so having points is pointless.

No pun intended.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
EvilChameleon said:
This would be a HUGE mistake if they do this.
Why? The exchange rate between nations was broken. The way points work make it exploitable as people can sell points below the going value through stealing people's information. Also it makes the transfer of money more direct and simpler.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
This is surprising not evil. Seriously Microsoft Points are evil, they don't correspond to their relative relative cost, so it's hard to work out if 1200 points is a lot or not. They are sold in 1500 and 3000 points (at least in Australia) but games and dlc are usually 800, 1200 or 1600 so you usually are left over with extra useless points, that encourage you get more points if you want dlc. There's no bulk bonus or reduced price, dropping $80 dollars will get you 4 times the amount of $20. You can't refund them either.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
So, am I still going to be able to buy the cards from Gamestop. I don't like charging to my parents' credit card.
Also, are they going to convert all exsisting points people already own, because I've been planning on stocking up on points for some upcoming Skyrim DLC.
I'm sure they will have a wallet system similar to what the PSN and Steam do. They will still benefit from selling gift cards to charge people's wallets.

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
This would be a rather big piece of news if this happened. I wouldn't mind at all if the started doing what the PlayStation Store is currently doing, which is just using regular currency.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Are they going to fix it so I don't have to buy £5 worth of credit to get something at £1? cause even Sony are still doing that if the product is under £5.