New Gaming Console To Hit Brazil

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
New Gaming Console To Hit Brazil

Brazil doesn't immediately jump to mind as a hotspot for gaming. Still, people have to keep themselves entertained somehow.

A new videogame console, aimed at middle class folks who find may have found gaming previously unaffordable, is set to hit the Brazil gaming market. Brazilian electronics entertainment company TecToy will be producing the gaming system, called Zeebo , next year.

Zeebo is expected to launch in Brazil next July for $599 (the equivalent of about $250 USD [http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/12/tectoys-zeebo-gaming-console-to-run-on-3g-network-in-brazil/]). Instead of utilizing discs or cartridges, the system will remain connected to a free, 3G network, and all of the games will be downloadable for between $10 and $30. Three of the four titles to come pre-installed on the system include Action Hero 3D, Evil Prey, and Quake. A total of 50 games are expected to be available by the end of next year. The digital only-delivery format is expected to cut down on software piracy, since the games cannot be copied.

According to its producers, the console is not meant to compete with the higher powered Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Wii. It will instead meet the needs of an emerging market niche of individuals who cold not previously afford pricey games or gaming systems. Hell, it's no Gears of War 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5466-Review-Gears-of-War-2], but game on Brazil!

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Kinda reminds me of that 'Phantom' system I remember was making some buzz here about 2-3 years ago. BTW: What ever happened to that?

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
That sounds like a cool idea, the only digital part I mean. Maybe the big 3 will take a note from this little brazilian company.

Wewt

Sep 3, 2008
Alone Disciple said:
Kinda reminds me of that 'Phantom' system I remember was making some buzz here about 2-3 years ago. BTW: What ever happened to that?
I remember that, it got canceled because of money i think.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Nathan Meunier said:
According to its producers, the console is not meant to compete with the higher powered Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Wii. It will instead meet the needs of an emerging market niche of individuals who cold not previously afford pricey games or gaming systems.
Isn't the Xbox 360 and Wii cheaper than this system?

Nov 28, 2007
Wewt said:
Alone Disciple said:
To be precise, delayed indefinitely until they get the money to develop it.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
black lincon said:
That sounds like a cool idea, the only digital part I mean. Maybe the big 3 will take a note from this little brazilian company.
Are you serious? Think of the independently run game stores that would go out of business, all of them gone in an instant just because you can't keep track of your games.
When the industrial revolution reared its head in america cottage industry was destroyed, but, we still considered it a good thing. automation and the removal of middle men is always a good thing, think about this, if we got rid of game stores you save money on games.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
black lincon said:
Digital distrobution will never catch on. Modern games are graphically demanding, Audioly (is that a word?)demanding and consumers also require it to be of a large degree of length; to house all of this on your hard drive would be absolute murder, both financialy and on your hard drive.

PHYSICAL COPIES OF GAMES FTW!!!

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Unrellated comment: Fish food carl nooooooooooooooooo. Why did you change your beutiful avatar?

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Wewt said:
Alone Disciple said:
Holy crap! So thats what happened to Infinium Labs. They changed their names and moved to Brazil. A clever way to evade the debt collectors.

Onuryn

Arm-manager Anagrammer
Nov 14, 2008
Not really. R$599 is indeed $259, which does make it more expensive than a Wii in the US. However, none of the big 3 cares about the Brazilian market enough to have a sensible pricing strategy; this is how much the other consoles cost in Submarino.com.br, which is our Amazon.com:

Wii - R$1999 - $869
Xbox 360 60 GB - R$2399 - $1039
PS3 40 GB - R$1799 - $779

And, to add insult to injury, a game like Gears of War 2 run up to R$200 - or $86. All that in a country with a GDP per capita less than one fifth of the US. It's easy to see why piracy is so widespread here - a console is a true investment, and you want to get the most out of it without spending huge sums for the games. And then the big 3 use the piracy levels to justify their lack of investments.
So the Zeebo is definitely a good idea for our market, with a good pricing point and (supposedly) piracy-proof. I really hope it succeeds, it could be an excellent step to convince the others that Brazilian gamers are willing to pay for non-pirated gaming - as long as both consoles and games are priced sensibly.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Sounds cool, I hope it succeeds. The console is an investment btw, thats why the games are only 10-30 dollars. As opposed to a 60 dollar or 100 dollar game(depending on inflation and what not), 10-30 bucks sounds pretty good to alot of people. Hell, it sounds good to me.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
This is really interesting. Especially if it heralds a divide between a first world and developing world gaming and development scene. I hope it takes off with Master System-like gusto.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
black lincon said:
Shiuz91 said:
black lincon said:
Are you serious? Think of the independently run game stores that would go out of business, all of them gone in an instant just because you can't keep track of your games.
When the industrial revolution reared its head in america cottage industry was destroyed, but, we still considered it a good thing. automation and the removal of middle men is always a good thing, think about this, if we got rid of game stores you save money on games.
Maybe but how would you feel if some console came out and you lost your job.
It would suck, but, progress has its casualties.