Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Darksiders 2 Preview

An interview on Darksiders 2.

Read Full Article

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I loved the first Darksiders, the ending was a bit "meh" but the journey there was kick ass. I have to wonder if they're going to do two more games that focus on the final two horsemen or if they're consolidating that into this game so they can round things out as a trilogy in the third one.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
faspxina said:
Death looks a lot like Raziel, which is awesome. xD
So now people are going to say it's more like Soul Reaver instead of a "Zelda rip off".

OT: I liked the first game a lot, even if the PC port was a bit shoddy, I still enjoyed the heck of this game.

My only wish for the second game is that it's a better port than the first one and make those damned cinematics in real time, instead of pre-recorded.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I really enjoyed the first one, and it sound like they're gonna use everything good from the first one as the foundation for this one, and adding a shitload of stuff to vastly improve something i already liked, instead of just remaking the first one, with slight changes... Damn this game, i'm nearly getting an inapropriate hard-on now...

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
I loved the first Darksiders, the ending was a bit "meh" but the journey there was kick ass. I have to wonder if they're going to do two more games that focus on the final two horsemen or if they're consolidating that into this game so they can round things out as a trilogy in the third one.
I disagree I really liked the ending, yes it was cheesy but it was a good kind of cheesy

Can't wait for this game thought, I might even pre-order

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Just gotta say, "Death Lives" is a pretty good sub-title/tagline. I wish I'd thought of it.
And that trailer did manage to suck me in.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
faspxina said:
darksiders Ive allways said it was zelda devil may cry and soul reaver all mixed together

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Regarding the Trailer: I wished they wold have gone more a Terry Pratchet way where Death is not something threatening or attacking but more of a collector or guide over to the other side.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
So now people are going to say it's more like Soul Reaver instead of a "Zelda rip off".
It's perfectly fine to be a Zelda clone at this point, it's not like anyone else is releasing Zelda in HD, or with voice acting, or proper controls, or on all platforms,... it's just a huge market gap that these guys are filling.

I do hope using pretty much the same game means they polished up the elements further, because while Darksiders was very enjoyable there were some really silly things in there, and ya that port... do it right this time.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So...instead of aping God of War, they're intending to lay with what? Devil May Cry/Bayonetta if either of those games had main characters the size of 18-wheelers?

That put the unfortunate comparison of the Transformer movies into mind.

Oh, any word about guns that shoot blue and orange portals this time? Will there be a gun that specifically delivers arrows to the knee, in the theme of absentmindedly stealing things from other games?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Orange12345 said:
KeyMaster45 said:
I disagree I really liked the ending, yes it was cheesy but it was a good kind of cheesy

Can't wait for this game thought, I might even pre-order
I was more referring to the final boss fight (guess I should have said that in retrospect) It was really the only point of the game that seemed lacking to me. Just felt like each boss fight upped the bar more and more, and by the end the bar had nowhere else to go. Every game does have it's "meh" boss fight but it typically falls somewhere near the middle or the beginning. Since Zelda is the most compared game I'd point to the second dungeon in OOT with the Dodongo King and later in the fire temple with Molerga. Both were easily the most underwhelming fights of the game.(though in the case of the fire temple we got ***** slapped with what lay in the water temple shortly after.)

Point being that the final boss fight of Darksiders didn't really hold up to what had come before it. The ending itself was fine, the final cutscene was very gratifying and left me pumped for more after it. It also left me wondering why we don't have more games that borrow from the christian mythology. Though the particular year Darksiders came out I think we had three (Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders)

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Death is cool and all, but I think a game about Famine would make the most interestingfrom both a story and game play point of view.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
funksobeefy said:
Death is cool and all, but I think a game about Famine would make the most interestingfrom both a story and game play point of view.
I never played the first Darksiders, but did a little research just now (i.e. Wikipedia) cos this trailer looked cool, and apparently there is no Famine in Darksiders; he's been replaced by a new horseman called 'Strife'. Which is a bit crap.

faspxina said:
I came to make exactly the same comment. Ignoring the 'darksiders 2' title, my first assumption would be that this is a trailer for a Soul Reaver sequel.

Which would be awesome.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
It also left me wondering why we don't have more games that borrow from the christian mythology.
Fear of a Christian-right backlash in the U.S. Borrowing from Greek or Norse mythology is much less immediately challenging, and so more attractive to companies concerned with the bottom line.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
felixader said:
Regarding the Trailer: I wished they wold have gone more a Terry Pratchet way where Death is not something threatening or attacking but more of a collector or guide over to the other side.
I like this idea and I think I see where you are going with it, but unfortunately I don't think that it would really fit with the themes explored in the first game.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
EvilPicnic said:
KeyMaster45 said:
It also left me wondering why we don't have more games that borrow from the christian mythology.
Fear of a Christian-right backlash in the U.S. Borrowing from Greek or Norse mythology is much less immediately challenging, and so more attractive to companies concerned with the bottom line.
You know what would be awesome? The Ragnarok. The ACTUAL Ragnarok, not an 'interpretation'. Gods die. The world burns, it is inevitable. And it. Would. Be. Awesome. If I wasn't Christian, my next religion would be Norse, just for the awesomisty, then Greek. From what I understand, the Titans were closer to the standard God figure, whereas the Gods (one step below Titans) were basically humans in terms of dicking around. Hyperion was my favourite weapon manufacturer in Borderlands, so maybe I'm biased towards them.

I understand probably none of this is of any real interest to you, but I'm in a talkative mood.

OT: I'm glad they didn't just go for basic sequel - same character, same enemies. However, Death may be a weird choice. I can't see how the battle style will differ from War. Pestilence and famine could have more siege based mentalities to their fights - weaken the enemies till they can be pushed over

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
felixader said:
Well technically according to the mythos of Darksiders, all of these are just titles given to the last of the Nephilim. Mostly, they seem to be given based on how the Horseman (or woman in the case of Fury) acts. War got his title because he got stronger as he fought.

As for Death, I've got to say I feel like they're jumping forward a bit here. Strife (double guns) and Fury (flaming whip) both seem like they'd be coming before Death (who is the whole reason War has an artificial arm), not after.

Still excited about the game. I actually really loved the first one, despite its flaws (most noticeably that enemies popping up towards the end were absolutely a chore to fight due to a combat system that wasn't quite right either in terms of speed or health).

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
You know, this does look awesome (although that isn't saying much, considering it's just a trailer). I didn't play the first one, but maybe I will at some point. I just wonder whether they're going to go through all the four horsemen (having 3 sequels isn't that unusual anymore these days). Oh, and whether you get to play as PZ Meyers in the fifth.