Steam's New Mobile App Threatens Your Wallet and Credit Score

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Steam's New Mobile App Threatens Your Wallet and Credit Score

Steam's new smartphone app allows users to check out and buy games straight from their smartphones.

Best lower your credit card limit or better yet, hide your wallet all together, as Valve software has released a mobile app that brings just about every aspect of its Steam distribution network to Android and iOS devices.

Currently the app allows you to browse Steam's community pages, chat with friends, check out Steam's extensive game catalog and add items of interest to your wishlist. Most importantly, however, the app grants you the ability to purchase games straight from from your smartphone, ensuring you'll never miss out on one of Steam's games in its catalog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111399-Go-Back-to-Camp-With-the-Steam-Summer-Sale] and the temptation to pick up just one more game at a 50% off can override one's common fiscal sense.

If you'd like to sign up for the beta, all you need to do is download the app from the Android Marketplace [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steam-mobile/id495369748] and then sign in using your Steam account to be eligible to participate. There's no word yet as to when the beta will close and the app will go fully online, but given how many features are already up and running, it may not be more then a few months.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
*gets out phone and downloads app*

Now I can check out some sales on the go! This is awesome!!

Feb 13, 2008
And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my Steamworks, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains.

Well, not much, at least...

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Alarmist headline much? With all the haxoring and data fumbling going on over the last year or so, just seeing that headline started my mind in the process of changing my credit card number, again (thanks again Sony).

This is pretty good news though, sometimes, there's a sale, and I just can't get to the pc fast enough to give them my money.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This is just what I've been after. I heard about this earlier today, but it seems like you need a Beta code, and only a few have been given out so even if you get the app you may not be able to use it. I can't.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011

Basically that sums up how I feel about it. Steam just gets more and more features XD

It's funny to me how bad origin is, could you imagine if they had a phone app. It would probably keep you geo located and ban you if you went inside a gamestop. It would also record all your phone calls and texts and send them to EA.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I can hear the sound of several million bank accounts crying out and dying, my own included.
Anyways, I downloaded the app and am hoping for beta.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
With this new Steam app, all your savings will soon be...

*puts on sunglasses*

...Vaporized
That just...

*puts on sunglasses*

...blew me away.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
This is just what I've been after. I heard about this earlier today, but it seems like you need a Beta code, and only a few have been given out so even if you get the app you may not be able to use it. I can't.
You need to attempt to log in with the app to apply for one. without trying that theres no chance, once you've tried just wait...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Huh. Good timing. I was just searching the Android Market the other day to see if such a thing existed already.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Petromir said:
thenumberthirteen said:
You need to attempt to log in with the app to apply for one. without trying that theres no chance, once you've tried just wait...
Looks like that. I set my Steam account too beta, restarted it. Downloaded it on my phone, but says my account's not in the beta.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Petromir said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Just wait and it'll come? Or just wait and hope it'll come? I'm confused as to the availability of these codes. Can anyone get them by signing into the app (which I've done), or are there a limited number?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I was wishing steam had a mobile thing to buy things with yesterday 0_0

Am I a wizard?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The relief I feel right now at not being in possession of a smartphone knows no bounds.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Petromir said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Just wait and it'll come? Or just wait and hope it'll come? I'm confused as to the availability of these codes. Can anyone get them by signing into the app (which I've done), or are there a limited number?
Hope for now, steam forums official post suggests limited for now but they plan to ramp up the release of keys at some point.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Petromir said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Petromir said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Hope for now, steam forums official post suggests limited for now but they plan to ramp up the release of keys at some point.
Curses. Well as long as it gets a full release sooner rather than later I'll be happy.

I hope they integrate features like a Barcode scanner (which I've seen in other apps) so you can see if a game you see in a store is cheaper on Steam. There have been times where I'm standing in a store on my ohone and trying to price check using the main steam page (which isn't all that smartphone friendly).

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Well, according to Steam's offical app page Skyrim is cross-platform and $14.99. [http://store.steampowered.com/mobile] So I really want to get in the beta for it.