Family Research Council Warns of Gay Relationships in The Old Republic

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Family Research Council Warns of Gay Relationships in The Old Republic

The head of the Family Research Council has taken to the airwaves to warn parents about the presence of gay relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The Family Research Council, for those unfamiliar with it, is a conservative Christian lobbying group founded in 1983 by Dr. James Dobson. It advocates for "family values" and socially conservative policies, and of course maintains a hard-line stance against such things as abortion, stem-cell research, claims of man-made global warming and LGBT rights. That last bit is why FRC President Tony Perkins recently used a radio address to warn about same-sex relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327696268&sr=8-1], which he has says parents in an uproar.

"In a new Star Wars game, the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists! Hello, I'm Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council in Washington, D.C. In a galaxy not so far far away, Star Wars gamers have already gone to the dark side. The new videogame, Star Wars: The Old Republic, has added a special feature: gay relationships. Bioware, the company that developed the game, said it's launching a same-sex romance component to satisfy some complaints. That surprised a lot of gamers, since Bioware had made it clear in 2009 that 'gay' and 'lesbian' don't exist in the Star Wars universe. Since the announcement, homosexuals have been celebrating the news, but parents sure aren't. On the game's website, there are more than 300 pages of comments - a lot of them expressing anger that their kids will be exposed to this 'Star Warped' way of thinking. You can join them by logging on and speaking up. It's time to show companies who the Force is really with!"

As far as I know, same-sex relationships aren't actually available in The Old Republic just yet, although BioWare said in September that they would be added as a "post-launch feature [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113031-Same-Sex-Romance-Coming-to-The-Old-Republic]." Also missing are the 300 pages of anger, which my admittedly-cursory search failed to turn up. Not everyone is in favor of the idea, obviously, but you'll probably find more people on the internet willing to fight over lightsaber colors than about who sticks what into whom.

Perkins' ridiculous, false and patently offensive claims about the evils of same-sex relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic can be heard in all their glory at frc.org [http://www.frc.org/washingtonwatchdailyradiocommentary/rebel-fleet-surrenders-to-gay-empire].

via: The New Civil Rights Movement [http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/tony-perkins-warns-parents-gays-relationships-possible-in-star-wars-game/news/2012/01/27/33725]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Don't forget it was some heterosexual, god-fearing, vagina perpetrators that got us into the current financial crisis, war in iraq, and hell houses (BRING THE KIDS!).

Personally, I'd trust a homo/bisexual Sith Lord over ANY Neo-Con Christian.
At least they're honest about wanting to ram you with their 'lightsaber'.
;)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
One thing I never understood about such complaints is the fact that the gay romances are usually totally optional and you can generally turn people down easily. Never in all my years of playing Bioware RPGs did I feel under siege by homosexuals. You tell Zevran you're not into him and that's it. Same with Sky, Anders or whoever else.

So, if those "honest god fearing christians" raised their kids "properly" and "non-gayishly", what are they worried about? Their kids will turn down any potential gay advances and that'll be the end of it. Or will they... :p

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Conservative Christian group opposes homosexuality.

IN other news, the sky is blue.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I stopped at the word 'Christian', knowing I would be seeing more ass-backwards logic the further I read.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Gay Star Wars characters: still better than Jar Jar.
God, knowing Lucas, they'd be worse and they'd be played up for Jar-Jar like laughs.

Tanis said:
Don't forget it was some heterosexual, god-fearing, vagina perpetrators that got us into the current financial crisis, war in iraq, and hell houses (BRING THE KIDS!).

Personally, I'd trust a homo/bisexual Sith Lord over ANY Neo-Con Christian.
At least they're honest about wanting to ram you with their 'lightsaber'.
;)
And at least the Dark Side admits it's evil.

>.>

Seriously, though, I always wonder how in a galaxy full of violence, where one side preaches hate, where lopping off an arm is considered a viable way to solve things, it's teh ghey that is ruining things.

Because, seriously, murder and incest are okay, just NOT THE GAYS!

MrBrightside919 said:
It's 2012...we should be passed all this by now...seriously
This it what happens when you're opposed to evolution...It passes you by. :p

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"In a new Star Wars game, the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists! Hello, I'm Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council in Washington, D.C.
And from then on, it was all in Troy McClure's voice.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
You know I'm kinda hoping all those clueless twats register with origin to *****, the only thing they will accomplish is getting their personal information stolen and some fresh spyware.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I don't think they really understood what BioWare meant with the "gay and lesbian doesn't exist in Star Wars" thing. Yeah it's pretty clear that they didn't.

MrBrightside919 said:
It's 2012...we should be passed all this by now...seriously
There's still witch hunts in plenty of parts of the world, next to exorcisms and all kinds of things like that. 21st Century means nothing.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Aside from the atrocious puns ("Star Warped"... seriously?), the biggest thing I noticed was a complete and utter misrepresentation of what Bioware meant when they said "'gay' and 'lesbian' don't exist in the Star Wars universe."

They obviously meant that the distinction between homosexuality and heterosexuality didn't exist in the Star Wars universe but this fucking moron tried to play it off as through Bioware said there would be no same-sex relationships. I find that incredibly amusing.

Edit: Ninjas.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Holy fuck-in the name of midichlorians, the force or whatever passes for a diety in Star Wars WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT ONE FICTIONAL WARRIOR WIZARD DOES TO ANOTHER FICTIONAL WARRIOR WIZARD!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Zaleznikel

Sep 3, 2008
Honestly, I think the thing I hate most about groups like the FRC and Focus on the Family is not their rampant homophobia, anti-intellectualism, or the way they treat anyone who doesn't believe the same things they do.

It's the fact that I've become completely cynical about any group with the word "Family" in the name.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
I think some of the real fun here, if my understanding is correct, may be the fact that this fellow just unwittingly trolled his own audience by encouraging them to speak up in favour of a homophobic agenda in an MMO community.

That.. is probably going to be an uncomfortable experience for the sort of people I imagine pay him enough attention to want to do as he suggests.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
LOL seriously, the fact that the guy made so many horrible Star Wars puns in his little speech was absolutely priceless!

"The biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists!"

I know it's only January, but that might be my quote of the year! All I can picture is a bunch of gungan's marching outside Palpatine's window chanting "We'sa here and we'sa queer!" xD

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
You know maybe you should actually spend your time worrying about things that are ACTUALLY harming people.

Like a debt crises.
Poverty.
Wars.
Or I dont know moronic homophobic bigots who try ramming their morality down other peoples throats.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"In a new Star Wars game, the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists! "
Well, looks like the Jedi/Republic/Good Guys should support gay rights, huh?