A Boy and His iPad

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Until Apple shows me a real, practical reason to pay insane markups on hardware, I will put my money elsewhere.

I'm sorry, I just don't find being able to "brag" about owning part of the i-Franchise as an acceptable reason to dish out that sort of scratch; be it for a phone, a tablet computer, or an MP3 player.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I can't help but feel that this review is useless to us. Since you've already declared that you will not try any of the alternatives that have been around for many years, nor will you even attempt to really experience them, you've limited yourself to a product range of one and are now telling us that you like the fact there's finally actually something which may fit.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I have yet to see the point of the ipad, then again what I think about apple products is biased because from what I can see is that they are nothing but a brand people buy to look cool or edgy, I have yet to find an apple product that is priced well ether, they are all about twice the amount they should be.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
I am not buying it. Either its my mobile or my laptop, mobile for when I just want to be reachable by people. Laptop when I want to bring my "office" around and have a proper sized screen that doesnt ruin my eyes even more, yes, but with full functionality for the same price.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I'm going to stick with my Zune and PC. Half the time something that popular people automatically love that's a piece of technology, will be a big screw over.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Looks like the US bought so many iPads that the international release was delayed to make up for inventory shortages.

Fail indeed. /sarcasm

Expie

Jan 8, 2010
The Heik said:
Expie said:
The Heik said:
Trujkin said:
The Heik said:
Would anyone know if the iPad can work like a electronic sketchbook?
As a matter of fact there are some cool apps already available. I've got my eye on Autodesk's port of their Sketchbook Pro package. It looks pretty shiny.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketchbook-pro/id364253478?mt=8
That alone may make me buy the iPad. Is it possible to use a stylus with it?
ZephrC said:
... I think a tablet is capable of doing pretty much everything 90% of people use a computer for, and why get a laptop if a tablet is all you need...
By the same token, why buy a tablet when a piece of paper and a pencil are all you need?

Yes, but I smudge a lot, and a tablet doesn't physically fall apart after being used by me. Besides, if I had a sketchbook with that many pages available I would be carrying the equivalent of the whole Encyclopedia Britannica series in my backpack.
Fair enough, if you absolutely need to carry every single picture you ever drew, the ipad is a choice. Hopefully it won't fall apart in use, as it costs $500+ (which would buy a shit load of sketchbooks the size of the EB...)

ZephrC said:
Expie said:
ZephrC said:
... I think a tablet is capable of doing pretty much everything 90% of people use a computer for, and why get a laptop if a tablet is all you need...
By the same token, why buy a tablet when a piece of paper and a pencil are all you need?
Can a piece of paper and a pencil check Wikipedia now? Whoo technology!
Who said anything about Wikipedia? We were discussing using an ipad as a sketchbook...

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Expie said:
ZephrC said:
Expie said:
ZephrC said:
Who said anything about Wikipedia? We were discussing using an ipad as a sketchbook...
Umm... you might have been, but I sure wasn't. That's not what this article or thread were about. Why would you assume I was discussing sketchbooks? You first responded to me, remember? I never once mentioned anything about sketchbooks.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
I'm waiting for the version that has a camera, keyboard, is priced like it was made by ANYONE other than Apple, and does (useful) things that my laptop cannot already do.

Expie

Jan 8, 2010
ZephrC said:
Expie said:
ZephrC said:
Expie said:
ZephrC said:
Umm... you might have been, but I sure wasn't. That's not what this article or thread were about. Why would you assume I was discussing sketchbooks? You first responded to me, remember? I never once mentioned anything about sketchbooks.
Um, no, actually I was responding to The Heik's comment about "That (sketchpad apps) alone may make me buy the iPad.", and quoted you to support my comment. Perhaps you missed the part where I said "By the same token"; that is, why buy a laptop if a tablet is all you need, why buy an ipad solely on the basis of its sketch pad capabilities? In other words, why buy something if something else will do the same thing (as well, or not, as it turns out) for less? As you made note, if you want to sketch AND check wikipedia, a piece of paper and a pencil is not going to cut it.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Expie said:
Um, no, actually I was responding to The Heik's comment about "That (sketchpad apps) alone may make me buy the iPad.", and quoted you to support my comment. Perhaps you missed the part where I said "By the same token"; that is, why buy a laptop if a tablet is all you need, why buy an ipad solely on the basis of its sketch pad capabilities? In other words, why buy something if something else will do the same thing (as well, or not, as it turns out) for less? As you made note, if you want to sketch AND check wikipedia, a piece of paper and a pencil is not going to cut it.
Alright, I skimmed the post and missed your point. Sorry. I'm still not sure why you ever even quoted me in the first place though.

Expie

Jan 8, 2010
ZephrC said:
Expie said:
Alright, I skimmed the post and missed your point. Sorry. I'm still not sure why you ever even quoted me in the first place though.
I was agreeing with the sentiment you expressed. I know, I know, agreement on teh netz, hard to believe huh?

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Woodsey said:
Seven hundred my friend. Seven hundred.
I'm curious: since macs use the same kind of memory modules as most PCs, why didn't you just purchase 4 additional GB from ANY computer store/digital store for $50-$80, and install them yerself? Doing this on my first-gen MacBook Pro was indeed a hassle, but the new macs feature a slide-out tray that makes the whole operation take less than a minute. Literally, since I've done it time and time again. Slide out the tray, put (yep, put, not push) them in place, slide in.

Back on topic: I am in no way an iPad fan. I must have been one of the more aggressive naysayers. And when my friend dropped one of the first imported iPads in Sweden into my lap a few days after the US launch, I found most of my suspicions confirmed: it is merely a big iPhone/Droid/[insert yer choice of modern smartphone here].

[Marketing-wise, it is a brilliant but depressing move: the iPad really isn't for techies and nerds. It is for the common people (common, as in my 65-year old mother, who now wants one, not common nerds, or even the people in the periphery, such as journalists who rely on tech, but only learn the basics for their work, which is a surprisingly common category), who have four basic digital needs: surf, read, listen to music, and watch videos (with the possible addition of social communication and chatting), and that is where it will succeed. And succeed it has. Brilliant, Apple, and fogging depressing. Divide the computer world, will ya?]

However, the ONE thing that did surprise me, was the touchtyping. I could literally type faster on the iPad than on my keyboard. And I am probably, say... quite a bit above *nerd* average in typing speed, without being phenomenal, thanks to having written on computers for 20 years, as for 10 years as a (speed)writer/journalist.

This is not a hyperbole: my iPad writing speed was up 20% from any keyboard I would type on, propelling me past most of my hardcore techie friends, who often type uncommonly fast, even for nerds.

So, an iPad naysayer I am still. But I am strongly considering keeping this iPad, just for the added speed advantages of producing articles at an (for me) amazing rate, something that would greatly benefit my journalistic career.

But perhaps I am just a deviation. I actually like typing on on-screen keyboards on smartphones, having written a few tightly deadlined 1000+ word articles directly on smartphones, even enjoying myself in the process (though I wish I could come anywhere near this fella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNcTE5WJGdw&feature=player_embedded).

But if any of the truly amazing speed-typers would experience the same speed increase with the iPad, we might see one of the first hardcore, professional tech use of this device.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Ayjona said:
Woodsey said:
Seven hundred my friend. Seven hundred.
I'm curious: since macs use the same kind of memory modules as most PCs, why didn't you just purchase 4 additional GB from ANY computer store/digital store for $50-$80, and install them yerself? Doing this on my first-gen MacBook Pro was indeed a hassle, but the new macs feature a slide-out tray that makes the whole operation take less than a minute. Literally, since I've done it time and time again. Slide out the tray, put (yep, put, not push) them in place, slide in.

Back on topic: I am in no way an iPad fan. I must have been one of the more aggressive naysayers. And when my friend dropped one of the first imported iPads in Sweden on my lap a few days after the US launch, I found most of my suspicions confirmed: it is merely a big iPhone/Droid/[insert yer choice of modern smartphone here].

[Marketing-wise, it is a brilliant but depressing move: the iPad really isn't for techies and nerds. It is for the common people, who have four basic digital needs: surf, read, listen to music, and watch videos (with the possible addition of social communication and chatting), and that is where it will succeed. And succeed it has. Brilliant, Apple, and fogging depressing. Divide the computer world, will ya?]

However, the ONE thing that did surprise me, was the touchtyping. I could literally type faster on the iPad than on my keyboard. And I am probably, say... quite a bit above *nerd* average in typing speed, without being phenomenal, thanks to having written on computers for 20 years, as for 10 years as a (speed)writer/journalist.

This is not a hyperbole: my iPad writing speed was up 20% from any keyboard I would type on, propelling me past most of my hardcore techie friends, who often type uncommonly fast, even for nerds.

So, an iPad naysayer I am still. But I am strongly considering keeping this iPad, just for the added speed advantages of producing articles at an (for me) amazing rate, something that would greatly benefit my journalistic career.

But perhaps I am just a deviation. I actually like typing on on-screen keyboards on smartphones, having written a few tightly deadlined 1000+ word articles directly on smartphones, even enjoying myself in the process (though I wish I could come anywhere near this fella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNcTE5WJGdw&feature=player_embedded).

But if any of the truly amazing speed-typers would experience the same speed increase with the iPad, we might see one of the first hardcore, professional tech use of this device.
It was my Dad, not me (so I haven't read anything you've said, no offence). And it was just what they offered on a pre-install, he didn't accept the "offer".

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Woodsey said:
It was my Dad, not me (so I haven't read anything you've said, no offence). And it was just what they offered on a pre-install, he didn't accept the "offer".
Ah, sorry, missed out on that part. If you are heavily into writing, the "Back on topic:" part above might be of interest (most of my posts concerns the iPad). Otherwise, don't bother reading my wall of text ;-)