A Boy and His iPad

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
A Boy and His iPad

Ever wonder what goes through a Mac geek's mind as he opens some delicious new piece of Apple tech? Wonder no more.

Read Full Article

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I am waiting for the Camera Version.

But I WILL get one....it has to have 3G though.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
"My first task was typing. This device simply would not succeed if the input were not sound. To my delight it wasn't bad"

It wasnt bad? High praise indeed! I long for the days I can spend £500 on something that merely doesnt suck :)

It looks like a nice piece of kit but I still dont understand what I would do with it but then again I never had an Ipod either aso I guess I am not the target market.

Well written though

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I does suck it does not have 3G and needs a WiFi network...I can see it will have some form of application, but, still not for me really

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Pipotchi said:
It wasnt bad? High praise indeed! I long for the days I can spend £500 on something that merely doesnt suck :)
Well, its what the entirety of the television market has become.

Apparently mediocrity is the future of everything.
Truly! If you set your sights so low you dont even care if they are met then you can never be dissapointed.

On a side note that could be the new slogan for any number of companies

Apple - Mediocrity is the future

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
My Dad's recently become an Apple-*****, beggining with an iPhone, then a MAC and with an iPad ordered.

Personally I lost interest when he told me they wanted to charge him £700 to put in another 4GB RAM when they built it for him.

I remain skeptical concerning the iPad (I want an iPhone and MAC's don't appeal to me - I'm a PC gamer after all) but I'll have a go on his nonetheless.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I'll admit it isn't totally useless when it does flash. I'd say roughly 10-15% of the Internet requires flash, while another 20-30% is heavily reliant on it (e.g. The Escapist). Not all that much, but enough to make it less than acceptable as an Internet device.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'll stick to my itouch 3G for what that device is worth (which is a lot, I like using it for story ideas and music, photos of art to inspire) , if I really need a interface to work directly on I have my cintiq 12WX which actually has power behind it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Woodsey said:
Personally I lost interest when he told me they wanted to charge him £700 to put in another 4GB RAM when they built it for him.
Was that a typo? Surely it was. I mean, £70 is quite high for four gigs, right? Surely that's what you meant to type... RIGHT?!?

*Shaking Visibly* RIGHT!?!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Nimbus said:
Woodsey said:
Was that a typo? Surely it was. I mean, £70 is quite high for four gigs, right? Surely that's what you meant to type... RIGHT?!?

Seven hundred my friend. Seven hundred.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Pipotchi said:
It's worth noting that I was referring to touchtyping, and that it wasn't as difficult to get comfortable with than I had expected overall. Two finger pecking is exceptional, using the same recognition I've grown to love on the iPhone. I just wanted to know that I'd ideally be able to type relatively quickly without looking at the keyboard if at all possible. I'm confident this will be the case in short order.

I hold everything I buy to high standards, and anyone will tell you that I frequently gripe about unacceptable crap. There are already things I have issues with in this Freshman device, but I didn't want to focus on the negative in the preliminary article, given the thing just came out of the box. I know the experience will get better in the next few days or weeks, and if they don't, I hope to address it in a followup.

Thanks very much for your compliments on the writing!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I wouldn't buy this if I had all the money in the world. For some reason I always viewed Apple "gadgets" as useless money grabbing products. No one really needs any of those. iPod was the only Apple product that made sense.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Woodsey said:
Nimbus said:
Woodsey said:

Holy fucking Spaghetti-Monster... That's unbelievable! Since when is a 1000% markup acceptable?!

drizztmainsword

Apr 15, 2009
Nimbus said:
Woodsey said:
Nimbus said:
Woodsey said:

Holy fucking Spaghetti-Monster... That's unbelievable! Since when is a 1000% markup acceptable?!
It's a well known fact that you always buy the smallest amount of RAM from Apple and upgrade it yourself. Apple's RAM prices have never made any sense.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Eh, hooray for Apple fanboys? Excuse me if a positive review from a self-acknowledged Mac geek doesn't sway my opinion on Apple's latest moneymaker.

I love the iPod and iPhone, but I still don't see a single reason why I'd want an iPad. Or why anyone would want it, to be honest (apart from ZOMG IT'S FROM APPLE IF I BUY THIS I WILL HAVE 10% MORE COOLNESS POINTS).

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Not sure on what niche the ipad is going for, if I want to go mobile and do stuff, I'd use my old Blackberry or the iphone, if I want to watch a movie, I'd use my main system or ps3, if I want to read, I'd buy a book, music would be again the main system or the iphone (which needs the main system to import the playlist).

The only way an ipad could overcome all these things is if I didn't own any of them, and I have read there are a few problems that would annoy the heck out of me too much to bother with it for too long, maybe even a mass recall for the Wi-Fi problems.