A Closer Look At Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
A Closer Look At Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver

Season 9 of Doctor Who concluded on Saturday with The Doctor finally getting a new sonic screwdriver after being without one the whole season. Here's a closer look at it.

It took three parts to conclude Season 9 of Doctor Who, but after a companion "death," a prison break, and the "election" of a new president, this season is in the books - sans the upcoming Christmas Special [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142251-River-Song-Meets-The-Doctor-In-Next-Doctor-Who-Christmas-Special]. But not before Peter Capaldi got himself a new sonic screwdriver after giving his away at the beginning of the season.

For those who haven't kept up (Spoilers ahead), Capaldi gave his screwdriver to a young Davros in The Magician's Apprentice. To replace it, he started using "sonic" sunglasses for his special projects. However, at the end of Saturday's finale, Capaldi follows companion Clara Oswald's advice to "be The Doctor" again, donning his purple coat and getting a new screwdriver from his TARDIS.

BBC America revealed some more details about The Doctor's new gadget, including a closeup, some specs, and Capaldi himself explaining why he likes the new one. This one is a bit larger than the previous ones, and sports a bit of a TARDIS look to it. While Capaldi's version of The Doctor has brought some changes (i.e. the shades and an electric guitar), it is nice to see one of the show's original concepts making a return again. Now we'll see where season 10 will take us and how The Doctor survives post-Clara.

[gallery=5175]

Source: io9 [http://doctorwho.tumblr.com/post/134663314789/concept-art-of-the-new-sonic-screwdriver-its]

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
albino boo said:
Is it me or does the sonic screwdriver look more and more like a sex toy?
but but which end goes in?

Anyway to me it looks more than a little lightersaberish

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
albino boo said:
It is not you.

Edit: And although she'd no doubt like it... this is still not the Sonic that the Doctor gives River Song (as seen in the Silence in the Library two parter.)

Then again Moffat couldn't care less about continuity, proper science, or a story that makes sense.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
DoctorM said:
albino boo said:
It is not you.

Edit: And although she'd no doubt like it... this is still not the Sonic that the Doctor gives River Song (as seen in the Silence in the Library two parter.)

Then again Moffat couldn't care less about continuity, proper science, or a story that makes sense.
Does River even have precedence showing up in the next episode? Was it not that Smiths Doctors first Kiss was the last time they see each other? Granted, its possible they could meet up before that, but I never got the impression that she met any incarnation beyond Smith.

OT: Y'know what, I actually quite liked the sunglasses for Capaldi, considering he seems to have morphed nicely into the weird combination of Bob Geldof and Tom Baker, the shades seemed a good fit. I'm also not really on board with this screwdriver either, its way over designed.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
elvor0 said:
OT: Y'know what, I actually quite liked the sunglasses for Capaldi, considering he seems to have morphed nicely into a combination of Bob Geldof and Tom Baker, the shades seemed a good fit.
Personally I'm hoping the sunglasses stay in some capacity. They fit well with the electric guitar.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I didn't like the 11th Doctor's sonic. Looked too much like a weapon. Matt Smith managed to sell me on it.

I don't like this sonic, but maybe Capaldi will sell me on it.

DoctorM said:
Because she gives him a modified version of Ten's, which makes absolute sense all things considered? I'm not sure why this would be a shot against continuity or Moffat.

elvor0 said:
DoctorM said:
Does River even have precedence showing up in the next episode? Was it not that Smiths Doctors first Kiss was the last time they see each other? Granted, its possible they could meet up before that, but I never got the impression that she met any incarnation beyond Smith.
River's got a list of "all the faces," with an implication that there's a reason behind that. Of course, the reason could simply be "so you don't know the first time you meet another me, you die," but who knows.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
elvor0 said:
It was implied that the Doctor's earliest meeting with River was her last and the Doctor's last meeting was the first romantic moment like they were going in opposite directions through time. This is Moffat nonsense of course. They can meet as often as the writers want because: "Time Travel".

Something Amyss said:
I didn't like the 11th Doctor's sonic. Looked too much like a weapon. Matt Smith managed to sell me on it.

I don't like this sonic, but maybe Capaldi will sell me on it.

DoctorM said:
Because she gives him a modified version of Ten's, which makes absolute sense all things considered? I'm not sure why this would be a shot against continuity or Moffat.
I haven't liked the past several screwdrivers and the newest least of all. The sunglasses were a weird decision and, as I hoped, just an interlude.

The point with River's sonic is it was supposed to be a newer model (based on Ten's design) given to her by the Doctor specifically to save her. The problem is we are now several generations of screwdriver past Ten's and IIRC we know what happened to all of them since. That means at some point he has to design the River sonic and make it several generations old by design (or has already done so and we just never saw it). It seems weird, like Moffat may have forgotten that bit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DoctorM said:
The point with River's sonic is it was supposed to be a newer model (based on Ten's design) given to her by the Doctor specifically to save her. The problem is we are now several generations of screwdriver past Ten's and IIRC we know what happened to all of them since. That means at some point he has to design the River sonic and make it several generations old by design (or has already done so and we just never saw it). It seems weird, like Moffat may have forgotten that bit.
I actually assumed his burned out sonic from The Eleventh Hour was the one. It would explain the wear and the extra parts. Though I don't remember whether he discarded it right now, retrieving it seems an easy enough thing to do.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Something Amyss said:
DoctorM said:
I actually assumed his burned out sonic from The Eleventh Hour was the one. It would explain the wear and the extra parts. Though I don't remember whether he discarded it right now, retrieving it seems an easy enough thing to do.
Hmm. Have to rewatch that episode and that's not a chore.
I found the first couple series from Moffat to be a joy to watch after the awful later years of RTD. I cannot believe the show is still from the same showrunner.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DoctorM said:
Hmm. Have to rewatch that episode and that's not a chore.
I found the first couple series from Moffat to be a joy to watch after the awful later years of RTD. I cannot believe the show is still from the same showrunner.
I can't remember, but I think he doesn't discard it. Anyway, I really enjoyed series 5, so I'm with ya there.