A Crash Course In Fallout

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Crash Course In Fallout

Fallout 3 [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] is a month away, and that means it's time to start boning up on the backstory of the greatest post-nuclear role-playing game of all time.

As anticipated as Fallout 3 is, it's also the follow-up to a niche RPG that's almost ten years old, meaning that a lot of people who will be playing it won't have much, or any, experience with the original. And while tromping through the irradiated wasteland will no doubt be good family fun on its own, gamers unfamiliar with the history of the Fallout universe will inevitably miss out on various details and asides that reference the earlier titles.

Fortunately, UGO has addressed this problem with two separate retrospectives, the first a memorable characters [http://www.ugo.com/games/fallout-retrospective/] in the series, including Frank Horrigan, Harold the Ghoul and Dogmeat. The articles are fun to read, and more importantly, they're great primers for gamers who never had the opportunity to enjoy the first two Fallout games and handy refresher courses for those who did but may have forgotten a few details over the years. It's an easy way to make sure you don't miss out when the Big One comes.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I'm replaying them now that I got them on GOG. I remembered how much I hate the mother deathclaw. I wish my character was decent in HTH so I could give her a nice jab with spiked knuckles into her eyes, but I forgot about those ****ers.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Dude, Turbo Plasma Rifle. You can get it down to 2 AP per shot. You would be able to do 1 AP in Fallout 2 but when it was upgraded it didn't get the - 1 AP. That's how I always killed the Mother Deathclaw.

That was a fun read. Though not knowing the full story to Fallout is better than knowing it. The atmosphere and story is cooler when you're just imagining it, but you don't get to play some cool games.

I found this similiar thing for Half-Life awhile ago, useful for people who bought the Orange Box when(there's plenty) they'd never played nor heard the original or even HL2, and people who don't notice as much stuff. You may disagree on some stuff, as this is just one guy who played close attention and drew very detailed conclusions.

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

TheThanatos

May 8, 2008
Lovely read, although they forgot to mention that it was the character from fallout2 travelling back in time and poking the water supply computer that caused the water chip to break. "oops I think I broke something important"
The fallout games are some of the best RPG's I have ever played, the combat system, atmosphere, dialogue and mission's all of it appeals to me in a way that's hard to explain, it's one of my favourite if not my favourite game series ever. Hopefully fallout 3 will continue this trend, I?m feeling pretty positive about it but if I start getting all fan boyish Ill be let down so I?m staying calm.