A Dark Souls 3 Speedrunner Already Beat the Game in Under Two Hours

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
A Dark Souls 3 Speedrunner Already Beat the Game in Under Two Hours

Dark Souls 3 launches on April 12 in the US, and stateside already have a high bar to hit if they want to claim the speedrun crown. That's because speedrunner Jung Ho Min has already managed to beat the entire game in only 1:42:10.

That jaw-droppingly low number is only possible because it's what is commonly referred to as an "any percentage" run. That means it isn't necessary for the speedrunner to beat all the bosses or enemies - they just have to get to the end of the game as fast as possible.

Of course, as new routes are discovered, these times will get even lower. You can expect to see these runs on YouTube and on Twitch in the coming weeks, and you can expect to see people who are (usually) way better than you or me plowing through Dark Souls 3 in record time.

Check out the video of the Dark Souls 3 speedrun above (of course, SPOILER WARNING), and let us know in the forums what your favorite speedrun is!

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-3-speedrun-world-record-is-already-under-two-hours/ target=]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Certainly not going to get the game spoiled and watch the video, but I am curious to know how many exploit shortcuts he uses. I know a lot of speedrunners in Bloodborne could access parts of the map earlier than they were supposed to by exploiting collision detection/the geography of the level.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Fappy said:
Certainly not going to get the game spoiled and watch the video, but I am curious to know how many exploit shortcuts he uses. I know a lot of speedrunners in Bloodborne could access parts of the map earlier than they were supposed to by exploiting collision detection/the geography of the level.
If it's like the speedruns of Souls games that I've seen there's probably at least one big skip related to exploiting collision. If not that, there's probably a few jumps to make that just require certain amounts of precision or hp.

Then again, it is pretty simple to make a quick jaunt through a Souls game after a few playthroughs even without exploits. And I don't doubt that's it's possible to have a pretty minimalist full playthrough of Dark Souls 3 in the same way that you can just take the Master Key in the first game to skip a decent chunk of the game.

I'm curious how long an 100% or all bosses speedrun category would take.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Let me guess. Dark Souls III still uses the Havok engine, doesn't it?

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Fappy said:
Actually, he almost never exploits the game - most of the speed run includes running past enemies, and using the Fall Control spell. That being said, don't let it discourage you, because it was extremely evident that he skipped a ton of content, and a ton of optional bosses - the game is fucking huge.

Apr 5, 2008
GGWP. I have no idea how long or hard this game is, but based on knowing DS2 pretty well, it's a good job. In DS2, I believe the fastest way people take is to go to only one of the four Great bosses, and ascetic it 3 times to get the 4 great souls they need to open Shrine of Winter. DS2 also has crazy challenges like no death and no bonfire runs for the real pros.

Speed runners do their own thing and do it better than I'll ever (want or) be able to. Kudos for beating the challenge, will be interesting to see the times in the future as new routes, techniques and exploits are discovered.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
GarouxBloodline said:
Fappy said:
Actually, he almost never exploits the game - most of the speed run includes running past enemies, and using the Fall Control spell. That being said, don't let it discourage you, because it was extremely evident that he skipped a ton of content, and a ton of optional bosses - the game is fucking huge.
Now by "Fucking huge" do you mean Witcher 3 Huge or Skyrim Huge? Just looking for a point of comparison here.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
At first I thought "Lol April fools"

But Wow! I wonder how long he had with the game to work out his run.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
On one hand, I'm impressed that someone has worked out a speedrun that tight already.

On the other hand, I'm annoyed that the game has not only been finished, but already speedran before it even came out in the west. Or to be more specific, it hasn't come out for people who are playing by the rules, but anyone with a XBONE and a bit of initiative could get the "Japanese" version which, lo and behold, has full English audio and text. Seriously, fuck the delayed western release...

kordo

Jan 8, 2010
Willinium said:
GarouxBloodline said:
Fappy said:
Now by "Fucking huge" do you mean Witcher 3 Huge or Skyrim Huge? Just looking for a point of comparison here.
Silly comparison