A Discussion About Villains

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I prefer my villains to evoke the feeling of "there, but for the grace of God, go I". Examining how someone came to be as they are can be interesting, but hamfisting the tale is easy.

The mention of Harkonnen is suitable as he was a product of his environment and being from a previously heroic, but now despised noble house. The environment is the most important thing, it is what makes the villain, as they are a product of it and have been moulded by it. Explore the environment and see how it changed the character, a fall from grace always twangs the heartstrings.

But a lady who is happy with skinning puppies to make a coat? Sounds pretty 2 dimensional to me.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
You know what I?d like to see? A Disney movie where Cruella DeVille is being hunted by Cujo on a deserted island.

She doesn?t survive.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
There is one thing about Cruella I'd like to know. She's described as Anita's classmate, but she's obviously at least twice Anita and Roger's age... and some kind of mantis-person. That could be expanded upon, but maybe we don't need a whole movie to explain that.
I think it is pretty heavily suggested to be her smoking or atleast part of why. I mean, the smoke literally is a vile poisonous green color.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Saelune said:
Kyrian007 said:
There is one thing about Cruella I'd like to know. She's described as Anita's classmate, but she's obviously at least twice Anita and Roger's age... and some kind of mantis-person. That could be expanded upon, but maybe we don't need a whole movie to explain that.
I think it is pretty heavily suggested to be her smoking or atleast part of why. I mean, the smoke literally is a vile poisonous green color.
Also, cocaine?s a helluva drug.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Seanchaidh said:
Fieldy409 said:
People love to say good villains should be relateable but I'll just point them at the Baron Harkonnen from Dune, a mordibly obese pedophile who was a great villain.
You think Baron Harkonnen isn't relatable? He's basically every person's id personified.
I'd counter that if your only experience of Harkonnen is from the 1980's Lynch vision of Dune, you do get quite a shallow and cartoonishly evil monster (not that there's anything wrong with that necessarily, but still).

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Saelune said:
Maybe it's to indicate menthol cigarettes.