A Family Friendly Zombie Apocalypse

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
A Family Friendly Zombie Apocalypse

The splatter of sweet, delicious brains may be of little interest to this zombie horde.

Players around the world are immersed, quite likely at this very minute, in the pulse-pounding task of surviving an unstoppable onslaught of the undead in Valve's Left 4 Dead. Blowing zombies limb-from-limb is all fine and good, but the folks over at different kind [http://www.popcap.com/] of zombie apocalypse in mind: a more family friendly zombie apocalypse.

With Bejeweled Twist [http://www5.popcap.com/microsite/bejeweled/?s_kwcid=bejeweled%20twist|2642347038&gclid=CNiTiMPg_5YCFQECGgodCmLKXQ] now wrapped up and released, PopCap's next major gaming project will tread down a somewhat darker path - though not as dark as the subject matter typically calls for. Zombies generally search out and eat the living, but one can only imagine what the puzzle-centric, casual game publisher will have them doing in its latest effort.

"It'll be a few months, but our next new game will be worth the wait...zombie apocalypse, the PopCap way: no blood, no gore, but blood-curdlingly fun and addictive just the same," PopCap PR rep Garth Chouteau told TheBBPS.com this week.

A zombie game without gore? Intriguing.

LuxAeternus

Apr 6, 2008
This seems funny to me, as so many of the initial zombie movies relied on excessive blood and gore and that's one of the reasons some of them got such a cult following.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Zombie apocalypse, the PopCap way: no blood, no gore, but blood-curdlingly fun and addictive just the same
I first aided a Mcfly gig last weekend and I saw one of these; a horde of people all zombies, no blood, no gore, fun was had at the expense of injured people-just need the addictive and I'm set.

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
OMG what?s next SAW VII

They all decide to settle there differences
And undertake a game of tick-tack-toe
And then build a tree house for MAT
WTF

And I thought SHAWN OF THE DEAD was this type of stick

Plz be joking

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
A Shawn of the Dead came would be pretty funny actually... Throw Records at the zombies to stun them, then run away!

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
This is pretty much a contradictory statement. I mean, if you have zombies in your game...then you have to have gore in it. That's just stupid. If there's fighting in it and no blood well...that's just stupid too.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
zombies are the least scary monster ever, only frightening at all for the sheer number of them.

a popcap game will be just silly

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
PirateKing said:
This is pretty much a contradictory statement. I mean, if you have zombies in your game...then you have to have gore in it. That's just stupid. If there's fighting in it and no blood well...that's just stupid too.
What about those fighting games like Soul Caliber and such?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
It's gonna be a PopCap game, so the skin textures aren't even going to matter to most people. Whatever it is, it'll be addictive, everyone will enjoy it whether they'll admit it or not, and it'll be cheap enough that everyone will buy it whether they'll admit it or not.

I really don't know why PopCap goes to all the trouble of making new games. They could just texture mod Bejeweled for 10 years and they'd still sell 200 million copies of game every one of those years.

Behold the power of addiction!

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
JoshasorousRex said:
PirateKing said:
What about those fighting games like Soul Caliber and such?
Okay, what I should have said is "games with zombies." Plus, those weapons in Soul Calibur are apparantly as blunt as butter knives. Smash Bros. would be all wrong with blood.
Basically what I meant is zombies are synonymous with gore and violence. If you're not gonna chop 'em up and stuff well...there's really no need to have zombies anyway.

Fox1789

Dec 3, 2008
anyone ever see the zombie friendly movie Fido?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mo6C6up1Qo

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
There was once an ABC original movie about a wierd dysotopian 50's setting where people kept Zombies (controlled via collars so they couldn't eat people) as pets.

Forget the name of it.