A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
They don't. Republicans condemn right-wing violence every single time. Every single time. You link the plot to kidnap Whitmer, no Republican politicians endorsed that, many condemned it, Trump himself bragged about "his" DOJ saving the day and arresting the perpetrators.
Trump also said of the plot, "Some people think it's a big deal. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't." So he gets no credit.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Trump also said of the plot, "Some people think it's a big deal. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't." So he gets no credit.
Neither do other Republicans.

(That's Trump again, but it fits)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Neither do other Republicans.

(That's Trump again, but it fits)
Jesus Christ these guys are delusional cowards! Who the hell are you afraid of? Your fear and short side agreed is his own giving these people more power. I don't know why anyone would still follow Republican party at this point. This is why they lost 40,000 people who didn't want to become or didn't want to be Republicans anymore.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm just chuckling to myself listening to "the party of law and order" whine about how holding them responsible for their actions shouldn't be done because "it will hurt us in the next election".

Can Republicans just admit that they consider themselves to be the law, and that they think the legal system exists to be a weapon to use against their enemies?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They don't. Republicans condemn right-wing violence every single time. Every single time. You link the plot to kidnap Whitmer, no Republican politicians endorsed that, many condemned it, Trump himself bragged about "his" DOJ saving the day and arresting the perpetrators.
Didn't Trump say Michigan needs to be liberated?

I'm not saying that Trump ordered these guys to take out Whitmer. But he sure was encouraging it.

He created the problem and then pretended he solved it

In this case, Trump condemning is just him covering his arse to make sure he's not linked... you know, the exact approach he made after Jan 6

Lastly, when there is a right wing attack, usually what I hear is that 'they're just misunderstood' or 'had a hard life' which is qualification of the condemnation. This is fine in my book as long as it used equally... which it is not

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Lastly, when there is a right wing attack, usually what I hear is that 'they're just misunderstood' or 'had a hard life' which is qualification of the condemnation. This is fine in my book as long as it used equally... which it is not
I have never heard that sort of nonsense with regards to a political crime. I've heard that with seemingly random shootings, but never for someone with a political cause.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm not saying that Trump ordered these guys to take out Whitmer. But he sure was encouraging it.

He created the problem and then pretended he solved it

In this case, Trump condemning is just him covering his arse to make sure he's not linked... you know, the exact approach he made after Jan 6
That's the problem with these far right demagogues. They don't say word for word that their supporters need to murder opposing politicians for them.

However they do often heavily imply or outright say that politicians on the left are an existentialist danger to the country and that they are likely even actively treasonous. They then go on to say that every important institution has already been taken over by the left and thus won't protect the nation. The media won't report on their evil plots, they are allegedly powerful enough to sway elections so democracy won't stop them, and if they are caught then they won't get punished because they control the courts as well.

If you are extremely disillusioned in politics and then the political figure you deem to be your final hope repeatedly say that his enemies aren't just wrong but actively trying to destroy the country, and that all other politicians, judges and journalists are all in cahoots, and that something must be done to stop them before its too late....then at least someone is going to conclude that violent action is the only option remaining to save the country. Because if the political arena, the media, the courts and everyone else are all conspiring against you then what other option would there be to save the country?

Reactions: Thaluikhain

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That's the problem with these far right demagogues. They don't say word for word that their supporters need to murder opposing politicians for them.

However they do often heavily imply or outright say that politicians on the left are an existentialist danger to the country and that they are likely even actively treasonous. They then go on to say that every important institution has already been taken over by the left and thus won't protect the nation. The media won't report on their evil plots, they are allegedly powerful enough to sway elections so democracy won't stop them, and if they are caught then they won't get punished because they control the courts as well.

If you are extremely disillusioned in politics and then the political figure you deem to be your final hope repeatedly say that his enemies aren't just wrong but actively trying to destroy the country, and that all other politicians, judges and journalists are all in cahoots, and that something must be done to stop them before its too late....then at least someone is going to conclude that violent action is the only option remaining to save the country. Because if the political arena, the media, the courts and everyone else are all conspiring against you then what other option would there be to save the country?
What does anything you say after the first sentence have to do with being right-wing? Do you think any single part of your criticism isn't equally applied to the left?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
What does anything you say after the first sentence have to do with being right-wing? Do you think any single part of your criticism isn't equally applied to the left?
Because its mostly the far right doing it. Not the left.

Things like this are said by Thiery Baudet and Geert Wilders. Not by the labour Party and Green Left. By Trump and Greene, not by Biden and Cortez, by AFD not by die Grunne.

And you typically don't see the desired response in left leaning audiences either. You have freaks trying to kidnap Whitner, you had a mayor on Poland and a labour politician in Germany assassinated. You did have an animal rights activist assasinate Pim Fortuyn but that was two decades ago and so far no left leaning activist has murdered or made move against the right, while the right has a string of violent incidents towards the other side. No matter how bitter people on the left are its much rarer to hear them proclaim how every single institution has been taken over by a treasonous right and that violence is the only option. Its the base of the far right that really latches on to this belief of a doomed nation that only they can save if they just manage to overcome everyone else conspiring against them.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Things like this are said by Thiery Baudet and Geert Wilders. Not by the labour Party and Green Left. By Trump and Greene, not by Biden and Cortez, by AFD not by die Grunne.

And you typically don't see the desired response in left leaning audiences either. You have freaks trying to kidnap Whitner, you had a mayor on Poland and a labour politician in Germany assassinated. You did have an animal rights activist assasinate Pim Fortuyn but that was two decades ago and so far no left leaning activist has murdered or made move against the right, while the right has a string of violent incidents towards the other side. No matter how bitter people on the left are its much rarer to hear them proclaim how every single institution has been taken over by a treasonous right and that violence is the only option. Its the base of the far right that really latches on to this belief of a doomed nation that only they can save if they just manage to overcome everyone else conspiring against them.
I think you could find it with things like Soviet Russia. I would also say it rarer but enough to be worried about. Eg. I think burning down a police precinct is going to far

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So which of these things aren't commonly said by left-wing people:

The right are an existential threat to the country.
The right is treasonous(or worse)
The right-wing media is brainwashing people
The institutions protect the right-wingers
The right is destroying democracy and cheating elections

And like, that's all just focusing on opinions of the Republican Party in recent memory. You really think demagoguery is a lopsided issue? I don't know how you can write about a hypothetical person who is disillusioned with politics and then the one politician they trust who is supposed to be fighting against the whole system tells them something and they escalate to violence and you don't think of the Bernie Sanders supporter who shot at the Republican softball game. That's not a knock against Bernie Sanders personally, I'm not blaming him, but the Democratic Party for decades (if not centuries) has been running the perpetual campaign of "it doesn't matter if people like us, we'll make the Republicans look so evil the voters won't have a choice", and you think it's an exceptional problem with the far-right.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
The media won't report on their evil plots,
The media manages to not help themselves at all by actively avoiding reporting certain things and liberally applying spin to others in a fashion that makes the idea that the media wouldn't report on them seem plausible to too many people. Every time there are "fiery but mostly peaceful" riots protests or a "call for peace" where the clip is cut off the sentence before it proceeds into a call to burn down white suburbs, it empowers the idea that the media (especially the media with similar political preferences) is lying to you and should not be trusted.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You do this just to annoy people, don't you?
Oh, man. There was a bunch of Right Wing pundits over the last week pretending that progressive were happy with Biden. I do not think Ive laughed harder in my life

Apparently, Biden is doing progressive policies. Almost wet my pants with laughter. Who makes this stuff up?

Reactions: Seanchaidh

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I take it you were expecting more and not less.
Very much so yes. On my end of that spectrum, of seeing basically nothing but veterans at work, and how many of them espouse the chucklefuck rhetoric of the alt-right, it's a depressingly high percentage.

I mean I guess I should be HAPPY that only about 10% had military training, but I do find it odd. I'd be curious to see the combined "military and police service" numbers overall, as there is often a huge overlap there.

Reactions: BrawlMan