A fighting style you think is really really awesome.

smiley92

Jul 25, 2008
rettie said:
Banana Phone Man said:
I can't remember what it's called. Drunken monkey style? Drunken Boxing? I can't remember what it is but it's cool to look at. If I could learn it I would.
Drunken Master Walk
Actually, it has multiple names: Drunken monkey, drunken boxing, drunken style, the Drunken Immortal ten fists, or simply the drunken form.

I'm doing Kung fu and i've been working on this particular form for weeks now and let me tell you it's freaking awesome!

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Wushu. Awesome on toast. Here have some (the video below is basically glorified Wushu).

Impractical, yes, but beautiful nonetheless.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Ti kwan leep.

No seriously, I really like Nihon Jujitsu and Krav Maga.
Krav for it's real world applications and Nihon because I learned a lot about strength and leverage while studying it (150lbs and I can throw a 300 pound man over my shoulder).

SirNerd

May 3, 2010
Hap Ki Do, and Tae Kwon Do.

Both Korean, both very mean in their own right. I'm not referring to Olympic style TKD, the practical form is much more brutal. Hap Ki Do is nothing but pressure points and throws.

I've been training in both for 11 years, I'll be testing for my masters in both later this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZihj8Fi98&feature=related

Tyburn Cross

Sep 17, 2008
Hiphophippo said:
Tyburn Cross said:
Krav Maga. Sam Fisher, Nico Bellic, and a couple others use it in various games. I have been learning it for a couple months now, and I love it.
They say they do, but they don't really. At all. It's a badass style though.
Yeah. None of the stuff most video games use is accurate as far as martial arts are concerned. And movies for that matter. Movies tend to use a wide mix of martial arts so that they get the maximum visual impact, even if the fighting itself is inaccurate.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Marksmanship

*bump*

I'm not just being snide ala "gun beats swords indana jones hahahah!!1!"... Effective marksmanship is a martial artform, by definition. Modern ballistics make things much more accessible, but historically, archery played an arguably greater strategic role than close quarter melee.

For example, the longest living and most revered Samurai were those whose aptitude for nailing targets from a fast moving horse, often turning the battle for their masters.

I suppose I'd like to see it considered more as a martial study than it is, but respect due to all the other disciplines.

One that stands out for me is Krav Maga, the IDF's professional "dirty fighting to save your life" principles refined to protect the lives of their soldiers on a modern battlefield.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Capoeira always being my favorite. It's pretty much street dancing that can hurt people. It's very effective visually, very smooth in transitions and very dynamic.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I like the sound of that martial art which relies almost exclusively on use of the knees and elbows. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, though.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Wow, great timing on this thread, seeing as how I just got Virtua Fighter 5.
My vote is for Aiki Ju-Tsu, Aoi Umenokouji FTW.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
JWRosser said:
If I remember, theirs is kind of Capoeira style isn't it? That's always interested me actually. Would be awesome to learn it, albeit a little unnecessary...
Actually I was walking through the city center where I live once and there were a bunch of Capoeira dancers who were advertising dance classes for it. I kept forgetting to go...

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
I specialize in a style called TIM-FU.
It pretty much entails lying on the ground and letting your opponent wail on you until they get tired and just go away.9(patent pending)