A Game Mode Or Mechanic You'D Like To See In Your Favorite Games

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, a survival mode for Spiderman would be great! That was actually one issue I had with the PS 4 Peter spiderman game, the whole "I'm still unable to make money." trope. He even talks about how he had a possible deal for a Spiderman plushy, "but there was no way to market it without giving up my identity" Um...sorry what? That is just too easy to do in today's world. Have someone work the account for you, through a company or whatever, and have the proceeds go to an account that you have access to. I mean the whole idea of masked heroes keeping their identity secret in the technological era is ridiculous as it is, and it's why they didn't bother with the MCU thing for Spidey after a while. It's just too easy to find out who someone is. BUT, if you're going to stop one story element saying "technology makes it easy to find out who I am" you don't get to ignore that same risk on the other side, and just assume "well as long as he's got his mask on he's fine." It's just too easy to piece together clues in the digital age. So, if he's safe enough swinging around town, he's safe enough to run a side account where he markets his own persona for money. I dunno that bit just irks me. Embrace tech's threat on one hand, hand wave it away on the other. *rolls eyes* I mean Miles embraces the digital age, and having a social presence just fine.

But yeah a system where you have to meet a money quota per week or something would be really cool. The problem with the current spiderman games, is time doesn't actually just...progress. It stays day/night depending on the mission you are doing, which always annoyed me frankly. But yeah I would enjoy that kind of element a lot.

I'd also enjoy it if they had the various community services you do in the game, actually change the map in some way. The best example of this to me, was inFamous 1/2. As you clear the different sectors of the city, restoring power, clearing out the gangs, it directly changes the map. There is less debris on the streets, as people cleaned it up, you see more people walking around in a semblance of normal life. They wave and cheer to you as you pass by, thanking you for your help. They actively call you down to the street to help with someone in need, leading you to the person in trouble. They team up to help you in a fight, in some of the most satisfying examples of "people defending their defender" I've ever seen. It really is great to see, because I've been helping these people, a crowd of 12+ citizens, all rally together, and start hurling rocks and debris at the gangs I'm fighting, to help me out. And they are often VERY effective. You see posters of yourself being put up in places, buildings with lights and power making the night sequences that much cooler. Just, direct, visible impact. I LOVE that shit. If the Spiderman games did that too, they would make me so happy.
Alright, you've convinced me to try Infamous 1 and 2 now, even though it will have to be through the playstation streaming service. Seeing the fruits of your actions change the game world like that is the best reward. Coming back to find the characters and communities transformed into happier, brighter, more prosperous places is way cooler than an achievement/trophy or a colour change on the map, how many waggle eyebrows do I need to give Insomniac before they try some of this? šŸ˜‰

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Alright, you've convinced me to try Infamous 1 and 2 now, even though it will have to be through the playstation streaming service. Seeing the fruits of your actions change the game world like that is the best reward. Coming back to find the characters and communities transformed into happier, brighter, more prosperous places is way cooler than an achievement/trophy or a colour change on the map, how many waggle eyebrows do I need to give Insomniac before they try some of this?
Good, Sucker Punch did some top notch gaming with those 2. InFamous 2 especially had a pair of endings that really tug at the heart strings, and some great characters. Both games are in my top games of all time, and the fact that Sucker Punch is who developed Ghost of Tsushima, is the primary reason I actually got the game. I wasn't entirely sold on it at first, but then "Oh...my boys from the inFamous series made this? Well...hmm, ok I'll give it a try."

But yeah, inFamous 1 is a little scruffy at times, but the mechanics are great, I think. The powers you have, have a significant weakness, that is implemented very well in the game. Basically if you are in a part of the city that doesn't have power restored yet, you are severely limited in how you can recharge your electricity powers. It makes fights way more lethal, as there isn't a tasty battery around every corner to suck up. But yeah, really fun games, if you like playing a hero, I think they are some of the best examples of a superhero sandbox game out there to date.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There needs to be more 3rd person rail shooters that has Sin & Punishment 2's parry/melee mechanic. Nearly any attack can be parried or knocked back at the enemy. The only other rail shooter I know that does this Kid Icarus. That one really needs a port to the Switch. Both games, pronto! It's a good thing I still have a physical copy of S&P2 on Wii.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
There needs to be more third person rail shooters that has Sin & Punishment 2's parry/melee mechanic. Nearly any attack can be parried or knocked back at the enemy. The only other rail shooter I know that does this Kid Icarus. That one really needs a port to the switch. Both games, pronto. That's a good thing I still have a physical copy of S&P2 on Wii.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
There needs to be more third person rail shooters that has Sin & Punishment 2's parry/melee mechanic. Nearly any attack can be parried or knocked back at the enemy. The only other rail shooter I know that does this Kid Icarus. That one really needs a port to the switch. Both games, pronto. That's a good thing I still have a physical copy of S&P2 on Wii.
This actually reminded me of a thing I'd like to see in some kind of massive space MMO. But like, have ships with gunnery positions. And for players who were hauling freight or whatever, they could hire other players who had skilled themselves to be gunners, to defend the ship. That way other players who maybe don't want to be pilots, could travel around as a work for hire gunner, or ships systems person or whatever. I think that could be fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
a survival mode for Spiderman would be great!
I agree. Both Spider-Man games could have used a separate survival mode. Miles Morales kind of gets around this with some of his combat challenges, but hopefully Insomniac just does what the Arkham series games do and make a separate mode. I want an elevator section too in the next Spider-Man game. No more than two.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That is one aspect of being at a I did not like about the original. there were ways you can get around it, but it involved a lot of tedious grinding to get certain items or tedious methods to unlock them. If you had the Moon of Khala, doing Perfect Parries would net you Witch Time. It's why I don't bother with that difficulty much anymore in the original. I felt Bayonetta 2 did that difficulty better, by just giving you less Witch time and that's it. NSIC can be mastered yes, but even I felt Hideki Kamiya was going overboard. I hate Grace and Glory so much. Especially there advanced counterparts.
To me, the point of Bayonetta was to learn how to play without witch time and use the dodge offset. Going through the difficulties eases you into playing without witch time from the Jeane fights on Normal, then Hard had a bunch of witch time immune enemies, and NSIC removed it completely. Grace and Glory fights are awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To me, the point of Bayonetta was to learn how to play without witch time and use the dodge offset. Going through the difficulties eases you into playing without witch time from the Jeane fights on Normal, then Hard had a bunch of witch time immune enemies, and NSIC removed it completely. Grace and Glory fights are awesome.
I get the point and everything, I just don't like it. I know how to use Dodge offset, but I just didn't like them to disabling Witch time. My main problem was half of the fights involve "Let's throw Grace and Glory in there! That will do for today." I did not like the design and out of fan of it. I know how to fight them, but it doesn't make it any more less annoying. I will give them this, at least they don't one hit kill you like a certain demon elite mooks in the second game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Not sure how it would be implemented, as the mechanics would make no sense going from side based combat to open world, but a Mortal Kombat/Dynasty Warriors style game. Like, I played MK 11 recently, and the one moment where I was like "wow, ok that's pretty cool" Was the final assault cinematic, where all the kombatants were rushing the big bad guy's place, and you see the various champions going to town on a massive army. All I could think was "....fuck I'd REALLY like to be doing that right now." So yeah, mass combat with the abilities and characters from MK, but in a Dynasty/Hyrule Warriors style system. I'd play the shit out of that. Leaping in as the literal god of thunder/lightning to lay waste to a horde of evil doers, mmmmm, yesssss....yesssssss!