A Game Mode Or Mechanic You'D Like To See In Your Favorite Games

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Like the thread titles suggests: pick a favorite game and a mode/mechanic you’d like to see within them.

Dark Souls: Competitive Co-Op. I think it’d only work in DS1 as DS2 and 3 are more linear with a singular hub for leveling up, but I imagine a mode in which two “Chosen Undeads” both start in the Asylum with a race to defeat Gwyn. PvP damage would be turned off (to incentivize progress over screwing the other player over, maybe toggled if skill merits the additional challenge,) but everything within the game would stay the same as the normal single player game; i.e.: since both are likely alive when they reach the Asylum Demon, the game is “jolly cooperation” until it falls, then, it’s every man for himself. The game becomes being the first to reach unique items, rack up souls and beat bosses in the order each player feels most fortuitous with the understanding that what you don’t go for, the other player can get! Bosses could still be co-op’d and loot split if both reach the fog wall at the same time, but if a single player manages to beat one without the other inside the fog wall, the Boss Soul and regular souls are awarded to the victorious player who kills it. The world wouldn’t reset on any single player’s death as in the core game, rather a player who dies must sit out a 1-minute delay (also adjustable) before respawning at their last bonfire; should the surviving player die during that runoff, THEN the world would reset. No requirement both players be in the same area at the same time; the open world left to be tackled as each sees fit. Certain items that gate progress are shared, like embers and the Lord Vessel, etc.; if a single player gets an ember and turns it in, those upgrades become available for both players. I’m sure there are a lot of problems with this that I haven’t foreseen, but the idea is kinda cool and I feel might be worth the added layer of gameplay it'd offer.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'd like to see an open town building component to Fallout 4. As in you can build anywhere you want, not just in restricted locations. I'd also like to see some metric introduced for making the resources I'm growing and providing, actually having a tangible impact on the Wasteland. Things like setting up trading caravans with Diamond City, that can provide them with resources based on variable needs. And provide bonuses while those needs are met. For example they need a large supply of leather, or ceramics, and if provided, the guards get upgraded armor, and perhaps start wandering further from Diamond City. Or perhaps higher caliber items made from those raw materials will show up in the shops. So for example, it would allow someone who isn't investing in Gun Nut and Armorer/Blacksmith, access to the higher rank mods on gear, than they have access to. If it's food resources, perhaps cooked foods would be available, including stuff I didn't have. Basically have a way to actually reclaim the Wasteland more thoroughly than currently available. Basically any game that lets me build an infrastructure, and do resource management, I like to have a way to USE those resources, not just for my own gain, but in a wider, societal way. Because frankly you can end up with tons of stuff you don't need, because you've optimized all your stuff. But, hey a stat bonus when I'm in the downtown Boston area? Because I completed several resource quests for Diamond City, and I now benefit from that by having a radial buff, or just more allies around to help keep me safe? Yeah I'll take that. I know that technically is still a benefit to me, but I like having it be outsourced so that I can see a tangible change to the world, based on my efforts. It makes me feel good to see a squad of people patrolling around a settlement, knowing they are fighting off the threats, and they are doing that, because I made it possible. I know something like this is already implemented, in the Minutemen patrols you can sometimes see, but I don't really ever remember seeing them when I played, and I've heard they always spawn in at lowest level, so it's not much.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'd like to see an open town building component to Fallout 4. As in you can build anywhere you want, not just in restricted locations. I'd also like to see some metric introduced for making the resources I'm growing and providing, actually having a tangible impact on the Wasteland. Things like setting up trading caravans with Diamond City, that can provide them with resources based on variable needs. And provide bonuses while those needs are met. For example they need a large supply of leather, or ceramics, and if provided, the guards get upgraded armor, and perhaps start wandering further from Diamond City. Or perhaps higher caliber items made from those raw materials will show up in the shops. So for example, it would allow someone who isn't investing in Gun Nut and Armorer/Blacksmith, access to the higher rank mods on gear, than they have access to. If it's food resources, perhaps cooked foods would be available, including stuff I didn't have. Basically have a way to actually reclaim the Wasteland more thoroughly than currently available. Basically any game that lets me build an infrastructure, and do resource management, I like to have a way to USE those resources, not just for my own gain, but in a wider, societal way. Because frankly you can end up with tons of stuff you don't need, because you've optimized all your stuff. But, hey a stat bonus when I'm in the downtown Boston area? Because I completed several resource quests for Diamond City, and I now benefit from that by having a radial buff, or just more allies around to help keep me safe? Yeah I'll take that. I know that technically is still a benefit to me, but I like having it be outsourced so that I can see a tangible change to the world, based on my efforts. It makes me feel good to see a squad of people patrolling around a settlement, knowing they are fighting off the threats, and they are doing that, because I made it possible. I know something like this is already implemented, in the Minutemen patrols you can sometimes see, but I don't really ever remember seeing them when I played, and I've heard they always spawn in at lowest level, so it's not much.
Without playing enough FO4 to appreciate the lacking the in the building aspects you've identified, I can appreciate this ask as too many games, while they reward your hogging resources you use, few reward the resources your chosen playstyle can't take advantage of, but manage to amass anyway. I could see something like this improving the experience in innumerable games where often the choice is to sell unusable gear for a pittance.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A dating game in Call of Duty. I have no idea how it would work, but it would be so hilarious to see a multi match randomly interrupted for player characters to fall in love with each other. It would be hilarious for exactly 2 hours.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It is the simplest, tiniest little detail, but one thing that I cannot stand, is health bars without health bars.

What I mean by this, is the whole Call of Duty thing of "your screen gets redder and redder until you die", but there isn't really any quantifiable measurement.

This obviously shows up in a lot of games with regenerating health, but I just really cant stand it.

Take Halo, for example. This franchise gets 50% credit, because whilst some games have shield bars and health bars (like Halo CE) for whatever reason, the sequels completely stripped out the health bar UI element, so once your shields are drained, it is completely up to your interpretation how much health you have left.

Its such a weird and stupid regression, and I just cannot make sense of why it was seemingly purposely removed.

Luckily though, PC mods

But honestly, I consider a game like Halo 3 to be mostly perfect, where the only thing that I can think of to improve it, is a simple UI element.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Without playing enough FO4 to appreciate the lacking the in the building aspects you've identified, I can appreciate this ask as too many games, while they reward your hogging resources you use, few reward the resources your chosen playstyle can't take advantage of, but manage to amass anyway. I could see something like this improving the experience in innumerable games where often the choice is to sell unusable gear for a pittance.
Yeah, and even if it's not just a pittance, it's just money that ends up on a large pile of money I've already accumulated. An example of what I'd like to see, via the resources thing, was one of the earlier expansions in World of Warcraft. I forget the name of it, but it was the desert themed, giant Starship Troopers bug themed content. And the whole thing to actually unlock that zone, first required the factions to accumulate a massive amount of resources to fund an "expedition" into the region. I really liked this. It actually felt like a community project. There were guilds that were coordinating with others on how to farm the needed materials, and some of them were specializing in different materials. Like one guild with several high level tailors, were doing the cloth related resource harvesting and crafting, others would do the raw metals, etc. It was really cool! Sure there were people who used it as an excuse to fleece the auction house, but for the most part it was just a really cool event. The low level players could feel like they contributed, by providing the small amount, and actually reap some profit due to the high demand for the supplies. You had a tangible goal to build towards, and the excitement of a whole new zone to go play in as a result.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A dating game in Call of Duty. I have no idea how it would work, but it would be so hilarious to see a multi match randomly interrupted for player characters to fall in love with each other. It would be hilarious for exactly 2 hours.
Eh, given the level of emotional and sexual maturity of your average CoD player, I think this could end up being very To Catch a Predator, and/or just overall disturbing as hell. Or if nothing else, end up with tons of "look at the fags!" comments from the rest of the kiddies playing the game, at the mere mention of 2 players hooking up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wish more action games would have a co-op mode similar Bayonetta 2's tag climax mode. Or Dante's Inferno co-op challenges. It actually did beat Bayonetta to the punch in that regard. You hearing me, @happyninja42?

DMC 5 could have used that actual co-op mode, instead of the network "multiplayer" it presented, which isn't even really multiplayer. The PC version fixed this with mods where you can actually do multiplayer with other players. Hell, they even made a versus mode, other players can duke it out.

I would like to see puzzle solving in a Call of Duty game, just to see how casual players react and have to use their brain more often. And I am not talking about super simple puzzles either.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Eh, given the level of emotional and sexual maturity of your average CoD player, I think this could end up being very To Catch a Predator, and/or just overall disturbing as hell. Or if nothing else, end up with tons of "look at the fags!" comments from the rest of the kiddies playing the game, at the mere mention of 2 players hooking up.
Hence why it would be hilarious for 2 hours and no longer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Um...yes? *checks his notes* Sorry, did I not get that TPS report? What do I have to do with Bayonetta and DMC 5? *genuinely confused at the namedropping in this post*
I was just giving proper credit where credit was due. I know you like Dante's inferno, and it had the proper idea for a co-op mode and beat Bayonetta to the punch. Dante's inferno had a better co-op mode than DMC 5's. Speaking of co-op, why didn't they make bloody palace co-op and update for 5? if DMC 3 can do it in the Switch version, then surely a modern game can do it.

I was just giving you a shout out. Like I said before, I know how much you love Dante's Inferno.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Cooking minigames are my thing, I legit use them as inspiration for real life cooking too. One time I mimicked a cabbage, sausage and cheese soup from Skyrim and it was actually rather delicious. Can always fit one of those in, no matter the genre of the game, too.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I was just giving proper credit where credit was due. I know you like Dante's inferno, and it had the proper idea for a co-op mode and beat Bayonetta to the punch. Dante's inferno had a better co-op mode than DMC 5's. Speaking of co-op, why didn't they make bloody palace co-op and update for 5? if DMC 3 can do it in the Switch version, then surely a modern game can do it.

I was just giving you a shout out. Like I said before, I know how much you love Dante's Inferno.
Oh shit, Dante's Inferno had coop?! I don't recall that at all! Wonder if they added that after release?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Cooking minigames are my thing, I legit use them as inspiration for real life cooking too. One time I mimicked a cabbage, sausage and cheese soup from Skyrim and it was actually rather delicious. Can always fit one of those in, no matter the genre of the game, too.
Yeah, while FF 15 didn't have a cooking minigame, those images when your friend would cook up a dish for you were incredibly tempting. Some of the images, like the soups, often looked like a flat image just imposed on a 3d object. But damn, some of those meals looked succulent as hell

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
More reaction to bodily damage, in both multiplayer and singleplayer shooters. You get shot in the legs, your character is limping now. But it's not just, hey, you're slower now. You hobble, your vision bobbing as you move, your aim is worse when you move, your gun swaying heavily. Getting shot in the arm with a high enough caliber would make you lose function of that arm, forcing you to use your side arm permanently, and making reloading take much longer.
And of course on the flip side, seeing your enemy react similarily, especially in single player experiences. We need more people crawling away after losing their legs and other such dismemberment reactions in video games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh shit, Dante's Inferno had coop?! I don't recall that at all! Wonder if they added that after release?
It was DLC, but good luck finding any one to co-op with now unless you know someone else that has copy of the game and DLC. You can still do the singe player challenges, so there is that.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yeah, while FF 15 didn't have a cooking minigame, those images when your friend would cook up a dish for you were incredibly tempting. Some of the images, like the soups, often looked like a flat image just imposed on a 3d object. But damn, some of those meals looked succulent as hell
That sushi you make after catching the bluefin tuna was mouth-watering.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It was DLC, but good luck finding any one to co-op with now unless you know someone else that has copy of the game and DLC. You can still do the singe player challenges, so there is that.

ah, DLC, that would be why. I don't usually get DLC for most games, as I've found the amount of new content is usually not worth the asking price.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It is the simplest, tiniest little detail, but one thing that I cannot stand, is health bars without health bars.

What I mean by this, is the whole Call of Duty thing of "your screen gets redder and redder until you die", but there isn't really any quantifiable measurement.
Call of Duty fixed that, there's health bars now. You can even see enemy health bars.

DellConagher

Jan 2, 2021
Country
United States
2 modes for Just Cause 2, and 2 modes for HITMAN.
JUST CAUSE 2
1st one: Infinite C4 mode. You are invincible and have infinite C4.
2. High speed mode: A mode in which your car goes at stupidly high speeds on a straight line with nothing blocking it.
HITMAN
1st. Hit on Men. You hit up on men, and it's like a dating sim.
2nd. Hit Men. You literally slap hit men with your hand.