A Game to Restore My Faith in Games?

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Really hope you've played Shadow of the Colossus, boy, or I'm coming afta' ya'.

Seriously though, play Shadow of the Colossus. Can't stress that enough.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
CardinalPiggles said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I swear I sound more like a fanboy every day. Dark Souls. No handholding, just open-ended, implicit, effort-demanding hours of challenge and satisfaction.
What satisfaction? That game is just pain and misery as far as I can tell.
Have you played/are you playing it yourself? If so, have you defeated Ornstein and Smough without summons? Do so and you will know satisfaction, or else you must search for a more fulfilling hobby, for you shall find none greater. The pain and misery is what makes the satisfaction so satisfying.
I was playing it yeah. But gave up after travelling the same 10-15 minutes of lesser enemies only to fight some giant demon that was not only amazingly powerful but surprisingly fast, on a skinny bridge (that I could only beat with a lot of luck) only to trek along for another elongated period of time, and only to fight a dragon with no bonfires in between.

The lack of check points and the fact that enemies respawn when you die just makes the game unnecessarily long and laborious. I'm honestly surprised that people have the patience and spare time in order to play this game.

The game isn't just difficult, it's unfair. Not my cup of tea.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
CardinalPiggles said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I swear I sound more like a fanboy every day. Dark Souls. No handholding, just open-ended, implicit, effort-demanding hours of challenge and satisfaction.
Have you played/are you playing it yourself? If so, have you defeated Ornstein and Smough without summons? Do so and you will know satisfaction, or else you must search for a more fulfilling hobby, for you shall find none greater. The pain and misery is what makes the satisfaction so satisfying.
I was playing it yeah. But gave up after travelling the same 10-15 minutes of lesser enemies only to fight some giant demon that was not only amazingly powerful but surprisingly fast, on a skinny bridge (that I could only beat with a lot of luck) only to trek along for another elongated period of time, and only to fight a dragon with no bonfires in between.

The lack of check points and the fact that enemies respawn when you die just makes the game unnecessarily long and laborious. I'm honestly surprised that people have the patience and spare time in order to play this game.

Well fair enough I suppose, but in it's defence, it does a reasonably good job of providing shortcuts once you've been through an area (ladders and such), it forces you to go through the areas so that phantoms are given a chance to invade (which is meant to be a pervasive sort of thing rather than intention PvP) (I agree it's sometimes unnecessarily laborious when I can speedrun the area without any penalty, so in the end, that's bad game design I suppose), and the Taurus Demon arena has a drop attack available that takes off a significant amount of it's health (and it helps if you learn to dodge). As for the dragon, and I assume you mean Hellkite, I can understand why you would quit if you tried to fight it early. If I'm bothered, I try not to even trigger it in the first place and go about my playthrough none the worse off. It's worse than trying the graveyard as a new player, thinking you have to defeat Hellkite.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I've been wracking my brain for something but unless you haven't tried Fallout 3 i'm at a complete loss as to what to suggest. I've played most of the big titles this generation and the vast majority are 2 days worth of let down and shiny graphics.

Maybe try some Arcade games...they reinvigorated my gaming and pushed me more towards the hardcore. Trials HD, Orcs must die, Peggle, Boulderdash HD, Bubble bobble, Digdug...seriously, look back in time if your looking for wholesome challenge, challenge is not the modern way.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
CardinalPiggles said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
CardinalPiggles said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:

Well fair enough I suppose, but in it's defence, it does a reasonably good job of providing shortcuts once you've been through an area (ladders and such), it forces you to go through the areas so that phantoms are given a chance to invade (which is meant to be a pervasive sort of thing rather than intention PvP) (I agree it's sometimes unnecessarily laborious when I can speedrun the area without any penalty, so in the end, that's bad game design I suppose), and the Taurus Demon arena has a drop attack available that takes off a significant amount of it's health (and it helps if you learn to dodge). As for the dragon, and I assume you mean Hellkite, I can understand why you would quit if you tried to fight it early. If I'm bothered, I try not to even trigger it in the first place and go about my playthrough none the worse off. It's worse than trying the graveyard as a new player, thinking you have to defeat Hellkite.
I did finally manage to beat the demon guy by continually drop attacking him but like I said I had to get very lucky because I tried that tactic 3 times before it worked and ran through the same 10 minute long section about 20 times. The problem was he was so big and so fast a lot of the time I couldn't get past him to reach the ladder, and then sometimes he'd be able to knock me off of it anyway. Not to mention the fact that he could attack so fast sometimes I wouldn't be able to even get up before he attacked me again, shaving off about 80% of my health because I couldn't dodge away fast enough (for some unknown reason).

I had no idea about any shortcuts though. I remember seeing a passage way blocked by a tall guy that was featured on the box art, but trying to beat him was hopeless.

It just feels unnecessarily elongated in my opinion and based on luck as much as skill.

We are way off topic, ha.

A'tuin

May 6, 2013
Gameslayer_93 said:
Tha Last of Us on PS3 and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2/HD Collection on PS3, without a doubt 2 of the greatest games I have ever played! Oh and Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite if you haven't played them yet, a must play for any gamer
Haven't played Last of Us or Shadow of the Colossus, but I would definitely get both if I had a Playstation.

The game to "redeem" gaming? The Walking Dead, absolutely. It had a greater emotional impact on me than any movie/tv show I've ever seen (and books I've read, if you exclude The Road). Only negative thing about the game is that the narrative of practically every other game seems childish and simplified now.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
WhyWasThat said:
I own a PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, PSone and Gameboy Advance.
Any games you folks could suggest? I want a GOOD game to help me out in these dark times, one that might even restore faith in my favourite pastime.

I have but one parameter: Only games that are available for these aforementioned systems count.
Oh, and no PC games please - unless they are incredibly lightweight and/or free. The reason being that my Samsung Netbook simply cannot play even the most basic of titles, for it sucks.

All that being said, fire away! Just make sure to include the platform(s) for which your game is available, thanks.
Well... What criteria are you after?

DO you want something artistic? Something just insanely fun? Something crazy and awesome?

For PS3 consider picking up Guacamelee`, it's an utter blast of a game, it's a touch short but it's a cheap indie titles and it's fantasticly entertaining and such.

The Last of Us has a pretty great story but unless you want that story it's not high on the list of recommendations.

The Killzone trilogy is a great series of hard sci-fi shooters, it's basically world war 2 in space with british space nazis. Resistance is great too.

I've been playing FF4, Guacamelee`, Stealth Inc, and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron atm.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
My (and many others') favorite game ever is Deus Ex. My HP netbook ran it flawlessly, so I'm sure yours could as well. There's a PS2 version too, but it's not as good in my opinion (I played both) - only get that one if you don't want to use your netbook, or aren't used to PC shooter controls. The game is a Sci-Fi first-person RPG with shooter elements (released in 2000 for the PC and 2002 for the PS2). After I played through it for the first time, gaming was never the same again.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
InFAMOUS 1 then 2. InFamous 2 is everything a sequel should be and is. Definetly a must have if you own a PS3 and if InFAMOUS Secomd Son was a launch title I would've pre-ordered a PS4 already.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Deadly Premonition. They recently released the director's cut for the PS3 and it is a game that is so bad and near unplayable yet it is one of the most unique and entertaining games I have played in my entire life. The characters are fantastic. Mr. Francis York Morgan is so fun as a main character and all the citizens of the town you are investigating a murder in are insane (both literally and in a fun way). Also, York has an imaginary friend named Zack that he talks to in front of people.

Baron Tanks

Mar 3, 2013
I'm just going to rehash some that have been mentioned here already but that I see as the highlights of this generation.

Vanquish and Bayonetta/MGR: Rising My favorite new developer this gen. They provide solid gameplay first and everything else later. Technically sound games that empower you to feel awesome. That is, until you do some of the more devastating higher difficulties :)

The Batman games. I've actually picked up Arkham City this week again, after beating it twice. The atmosphere in these games is just phenomenal and the combo system for melee is fun. Stealth can sometimes be a bit of a waiting game, but even there a keen sense of empowerement is granted.

There are many, many more greats but I think a lot are already floating around here.

Ok, one last one. As a post-mortem to the guys at Bizarre, play Blur. It's a high-res Mario Kart tribute that can be a lot of hectic fun :)

songbird15

Jun 16, 2013
Bioshock infinite brought a tear to my eye. i think it's an amazing game...so much more than the fps it appears to be.

journey is another. Both restore my faith in games as art and much more beyond.

edit: Ps3 for journey and bioshock infinite in on ps3/xbox360 and pc.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
What did you like about video games before? It's hard to restore faith when we don't know what that faith is for. As my completely clueless suggestion, I nominate Rayman: Origins. I have no idea what Origins have to do with anything, but that game is so happy and soothing to play, I'm positive it works into the formula to cure cancer.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
Damn it Escapist Forums, you disappoint me once again. I'm glad some people in this thread remembered Mikami's Vanquish, but why has no one mentioned Godhand yet?! It's a PS2 game and it's also on PSN and it is probably one of the greatest games ever made. Everyone needs to experience Shinji Mikami's painfully neglected masterpiece so get to it!

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
In terms of games from the last few years that made me feel good about games again:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Rayman Origins
The Batman Arkham Games
Bioshock 1 (and to a lesser extent Infinite)
Portal 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Psychonauts
Saint Row 2

Ok this list is getting into older and older games. I guess there isn't a huge amount of really recent games that would restore on's faith.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll give a few GBA titles I love:

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, one of the best Zelda games in my opinion, lots of content, great dungeons, and a back story to several key characters and items in the series.

GBA remake of Zelda: Link to the Past. You get to play a slightly updated version of one of the best games on the SNES what is not to like?

Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen: Remakes of the original Pokemon games, much better than the originals because it has features the third gen games brought to the series. Best of all, a run button! It makes the bicycle practically useless.

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: The original titles of the third generation. Great region, Pokemon and everything in between.

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: Lost Age: excellent JRPGs on the GBA, interesting story, characters, great combat system, highly recommended.

Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga: A really strange yet fun Mario RPG. Great dialogue and humor, and a fairly deep engaging battle system.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Going to list a few games I've enjoyed and might show someone new to gaming, since I'm not sure what to show to someone to restore faith in gaming.
I'll include an approximate genre tag since I don't know what type you prefer.
Genre is a tricky thing for me :/ but I'll try. Sorry if other people think otherwise.

PS1:
(RPG) Legend of Dragoon
(RPG) Final Fantasy 7
(RPG) Final Fantasy 8
(RPG) Final Fantasy 9
(RPG) Okage: Shadow King
(Action/Platformer) Crash Bandicoot

PS2:
(Hack n' Slash) Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
(Hack n' Slash) Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
(RPG) Suikoden 5
(RPG) Suikoden 4
(Action/Adventure)Jak and Daxter
(Action/Adventure)Jak II
(Action/Adventure)Jak 3
(Action/Adventure)Ratchet & Clank (I forget which one I had. Not at home right now, can't check.)
(Adventure/Exploration)Shadow of the Colossus
(Adventure/Puzzle) ICO
(Action/Adventure) Okami
(RPG) .hack//G.U vol.1, vol.2 and vol.3
(Action/RPG) Kingdom Hearts
(Action/RPG) Kingdom Hearts II
(RPG) Persona 3
(RPG) Persona 4
(RPG) Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
(Hack n' Slash) Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
(Action/RPG) Onimusha
(Action/RPG) Onimusha 2
(Action/RPG) Onimusha 3
(Action/RPG) Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
(Action/Stealth) Metal Gear Solid 1
(Action/Stealth) Metal Gear Solid 3
(Action) Zone of the Enders

PS3:
(Sky view Shooter)Dead Nation
(Racing) Wipeout HD
(Fighting) Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend
(Adventure) Journey/Flower/Flow (I got the bundle pack.)
(Hack n' Slash) Bayonetta
(RPG/Stratagy) Resonance of Fate (maybe not so new player friendly.)
(Stratagy) XCOM: Enemy Unknown
(Platformer) Rayman: Origins
(Action/RPG) Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen
(Action) Batman: Arkham Asylum
(Action/Sandbox) Batman: Arkham City
(Action/Sandbox) Infamous
(Action/Sandbox) Infamous 2
(Action/Sandbox) Prototype
(Action/Adventure/Shooter) Uncharted 1, 2 and 3
(Shooter) Battlefield: Bad Company
(Action/Sandbox) Sleeping Dogs

I'm sure I'm missing some that I'd love to show to someone. Oh well.
I unfortunately don't have many GBA games, instead I have many DS titles if you happen to have that.