A Game You Wished Sold Well, But Didn't :(

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I should've joined in this thread last night, now all of my answers have been taken.

Whispering Cynic said:
My pick though has to be Advent Rising. An unpolished gem perhaps, but one really deserving of a sequel.
Definitely this, and not least of all because the game itself left off on a "To be Continued..." cliffhanger.

It had its fair share of bugs and it was ridiculously easy to break the combat, but it was so fun and satisfying to be able to essentially stop time and run around punching everything to death by the end of what was ostensibly a first/third-person shooter.

Oh, I've got one, though I don't know if the potential franchise was crushed because of poor sales or just because Lucasarts sucks, or perhaps a combination of both - Star Wars Racer. More specifically Star Wars: Racer Revenge for the PS2, since Episode 1 Racer apparently sold really well.

I've got some issues with Racer Revenge, because it's worse than Episode 1 Racer in more ways than it's better (it has slightly better handling and obviously looks a bit better, but the track selection and racer selection is significantly smaller and the tracks aren't quite as interestingly designed) but it's still a fine game and I miss those types of fantastical high-octane racing games, and even today Episode 1 Racer seems to give a better sense and feeling of speed than most modern racing games do. At least to me.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
o________________________________________o

>________________________________________>

<_________________________________________<

*raises hand*

Errr, I have game I think should have done better, sir.

Can you guess what it is?
why, Battletoads of course

OT: P4G, that way I could have bought my copy without having to go through the 12 tasks and finding out the entire country doesnt stock it
and it's only the game I bought the system for

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Terramax said:
Fox12 said:
Wait, am-am I going to have to be that fanboy... really? No one beat me to it? Okay... Psychonauts.
First post :p

CAPTCHA: nut case

Well, I have been known to lose the handle...
Indeed, I'm not sure how on earth I managed to miss that. I have brought shame upon my ancestors : (

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Joffas16 said:
Also, speaking of attempted Xbox console mascots, you just reminded me Blinx: The Time Sweeper. I wonder if anybody remembers that game. I remember it being fairly fun, not great, but good. It also had a sequel which was very good and was probably the pleasant surprise I've experienced in gaming. Then the series died... I've made myself sad now.
I actually fairly recently rebought Blinx (I still play my classic xbox fairly often, even whilst I'm living in Japan) and I've actually gone off that game. It was a good concept, great music visuals that stand up very well even to this day, but the level design has a lot to be desired, and I actually found the way you attack to be awkward, and the time tricks boring somehow.

The game did get a sequel, which I watched my younger sister play a lot, and definitely seemed like a major improvement in terms of design, but it wasn't enough. The series died a premature death before it barely got off the ground.

Ultimately, besides a few key Sony and Microsoft platformers, 3D platforms have fallen by the wayside now. This is a real shame as I really enjoy them. Especially the more colourful ones aimed at the younger generation. Thankfully, once I return to England, I do plan on picking up such older titles, for likely next to nothing in price. But it is a shame we rarely get new 3D platformer IPs these days.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Has no one said Beyond Good & Evil yet? Well then, obligatory Beyond Good & Evil post. Would love to see that world explored more.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009

Such a great RTS and such great developers. Shame it didn't sell well and SSS went bankrupt...

Audioviper

Jan 5, 2012
Chromehounds & Singularity.

From my point of view, Chromehounds had the best looking/working mechs in gaming. They weren't too fast, had nice controls, had an incredibly large amount of modularity & actually FELT like mechs. I'm not the mech itself, I'm piloting it.

Singularity was an oddly engaging little gem with a fairly unique concept that is integrated surprisingly well. Although the big twist at the end, (Which I won't spoil) was WAY to obvious. Still, the TMD was a fun device & is still one of my favourite game mechanics ever.

I never remember seeing an advert/commercial for either of these games so poor advertisement may have contributed to their failure but it's still a shame that they never got the recognition they deserved.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
BarbaricGoose said:
imahobbit4062 said:
BarbaricGoose said:
I know Sleeping Dogs did well enough, apparently, to warrant a sequel, so I guess I can't say that anymore.

I'll go with Vanquish. Fun little game. Highly recommend it if you like action titles in the vein of Bayonetta or DMC.
Say what? We're getting a Sleeping Dogs sequel?
God damn, why am I not getting notifications on replies anymore.. I gotta look into this.

And yeah--it's pretty amazing. Came as quite a shock. Looking forward to kicking more ass as Wei Shen! If only I could get that Vanquish sequel...
i heard it's not a direct sequel but is just a game set in the sleeping dogs universe

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Last Express. Beatiful Game, great soundtrack, interesting plot and characters, set on the last orient express prior to the outbreak of WW1. Needless to day, there's a murder right off.

And almost nobody heard of this game because the company marketing department quit just before the game was released.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Dalisclock said:
The Last Express. Beatiful Game, great soundtrack, interesting plot and characters, set on the last orient express prior to the outbreak of WW1. Needless to day, there's a murder right off.

And almost nobody heard of this game because the company marketing department quit just before the game was released.
At least it's still available.

http://www.gog.com/game/last_express_the

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Aussie502 said:

Such a shame that this game never sold as well as it could have. It was one of the best hidden games on the original Xbox.
Heck, I woulda liked it better if it wasn't so damn buggy and if the difficulty didn't suddenly slide into IMPOSSIBLE HARDEST OF CORES mode at the last second to top it all off.

Gladius is one of those games that just... god there is so much content in that game. Makes me wish it was a PC game.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
Uhm, how well did Brutal Legend sell? Hmmm. Welllll, there's no sequel, so clearly not well enough!

Brutal Legend was not a great game. Most people would be hesitant to call it good. Personally I think the game was okay, but, and this is a really big but, the world that Tim Schafer introduced us to deserves revisiting, expanding and exploring. Dodgy hybrid sandbox-rts mechanics aside, Brutal Legend was the greatest game ever released, ever, based purely upon it's world, lore and soundtrack, and yes I did just decide your opinion for you. I'd even settle for something akin to Metalocalypse rather than a sequel, just give me more Brutal Legends!
I really have to agree with you. Brutal Legend is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. I adore everything about it except the game part of the game. I've been meaning to give it another shot so I can finally finish it but...I don't think I can handle coming to a dead stop while spinning out of control because I looked at a cactus or pebble the wrong way one more time.

But every time I came upon a lore statue to open I would get so excited to hear the utterly awesome, metal insanity that was the history of the world.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I've got a few more current games I'd choose that have already been said(Vanquish, Blur, Spec Ops) but most the games I wish had sols better are from past gens, particularly games that have died out. For example I loved both Matrix games (yes, BOTH of them) and I would have loved to see more of them following different people in The Matrix's universe although it is one of my favourite films so I may be a little biased there. Then there's Crash Bash which I wish had sold enough copies that Sony would consider it worth doing an HD remake of or at least enough to make it worth puting on the PSN store. Also the oddworld games which are pretty much all great but died out a while ago although they are doing New 'n' Tasty so hopefully that'll resurrect that whole universe.

But I think the winner has to be the Point Blank games which I still remember and miss vividly to this day. Really the whole rail shooter/ light gun genre seems to have died out (I guess because of modern TVs making it difficult) and I think that sucks but Point Blank in particular was great for having such a great overall feel with its bright coours, the unique Dr Don and Dr Dan and most importantly because it was a game WITH shooting but WITHOUT violence. How many games are there today that have shooting/ gun based mechanics of some kind but don't involve hurting or killing something else, typically other humans? Hopefully one day the technology needed to bring back this whole genre will advance (and importantly get cheaper) and then maybe this franchise will get a revival.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Megaman Legends and it's Tron Bonne spinoff/sequel. Never got a true Legends sequel, and it was always a gem to me.

Jet Force Gemini from Rare.

Both are very similar games, come to think of it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FrozenLaughs said:
Megaman Legends and it's Tron Bonne spinoff/sequel. Never got a true Legends sequel, and it was always a gem to me.
This is normally where an internet pedant points out that Megaman Legends 2 exists.
But you know what? I agree with you, because Megaman Legends 2 seems so...alien in its tone compared to the original that it just doesn't seem right.

Yeah, the 3rd person gameplay is back, and more polished. The graphics engine was massively improved. Levels were better designed for the most part...

But there's something missing and it's mostly from the characters.
The biggest divergence from the original is the voice actor playing the lead, Megaman Volnutt.
They took someone with a young teenage voice and replaced it with a guy who sounds like he has Down's Syndrome with a slight head cold. And the writing matches it; Volnutt is a fucking moron compared to the first game.

Hell, a lot of returning characters come across that way. Roll seems more distant overall, Prof Barryl is a boring mess, the less said about Data the better...

Only Tron Bonne really seems to still have her heart in it, both the voice actress and the writing.
That, and the levels don't have that cool bit of discovery to them. With rare exception, they just feel like loops you run through because you have to.

In MML1, Kattleox Island's dungeons were kind of empty and droll punctuated by random attacks from increasingly nasty enemies, but you know what? It worked. The music provided more haunting ambiance as you dug deeper into the ruins, and if you took your time to explore them all, you'd find they are ALL connected to each other.

I never played the Misadaventures of Tron Bonne. So I don't know what went down there.
But in my experience, Megaman Legends never had a proper sequel made to it, and it's just so strange saying that for a game that actually has a direct sequel.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really wish Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a bigger franchise. Looking at is as an extension of the X-Men Legends series it's huge but I really wish MUA was bigger and more successful than it was not just because I really liked both of those games but also because I'm trying to build up a PS3 collection and...well look up the price for Ultimate Alliance or 2 on the PS3...Isn't that nuts?! The DS version is less expensive and even when that game was more widely available you never saw it around!

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
FrozenLaughs said:
This is normally where an internet pedant points out that Megaman Legends 2 exists.
But you know what? I agree with you, because Megaman Legends 2 seems so...alien in its tone compared to the original that it just doesn't seem right.

Yeah, the 3rd person gameplay is back, and more polished. The graphics engine was massively improved. Levels were better designed for the most part...

But there's something missing and it's mostly from the characters.
The biggest divergence from the original is the voice actor playing the lead, Megaman Volnutt.
They took someone with a young teenage voice and replaced it with a guy who sounds like he has Down's Syndrome with a slight head cold. And the writing matches it; Volnutt is a fucking moron compared to the first game.

Hell, a lot of returning characters come across that way. Roll seems more distant overall, Prof Barryl is a boring mess, the less said about Data the better...

Only Tron Bonne really seems to still have her heart in it, both the voice actress and the writing.
That, and the levels don't have that cool bit of discovery to them. With rare exception, they just feel like loops you run through because you have to.

In MML1, Kattleox Island's dungeons were kind of empty and droll punctuated by random attacks from increasingly nasty enemies, but you know what? It worked. The music provided more haunting ambiance as you dug deeper into the ruins, and if you took your time to explore them all, you'd find they are ALL connected to each other.

I never played the Misadaventures of Tron Bonne. So I don't know what went down there.
But in my experience, Megaman Legends never had a proper sequel made to it, and it's just so strange saying that for a game that actually has a direct sequel.
Actually... I somehow have never seen or heard of this. I'm not sure how, but I never knew this existed. I thought MoTB was "2" and then they canceled 3. You learn something new every day, maybe I'll jump on Amazon and pick up-

HOLY HELL $462.24

-nevermind I'll just pretend it never happened.