A Game You Wished Sold Well, But Didn't :(

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Colony Wars.

The third game in the series- Red Sun- sold less than a third of what the first did. As much as I dislike Red Sun, the series was great and I miss it. To add insult to injury, the old official Colony Wars website is still online, so you can see all the things they had planned in Colony Wars 4 that never happened.

Breath of Fire.

The fifth game in the series was such a radical departure that it scared off most of the fans, resulting in no sequel for six years. (which is now apparently a handheld device social gaming thing-ugh)

Gladius.

Already been mentioned. Great game, one of the best on PS2. Absolutely deserves a sequel.

Advance Wars.

I have heard mention that diminishing sales might be the reason there haven't been any sequels for some time.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Yeah, the hack and slash. The sequel ended on a cliffhanger, I want resolution! Now thanks to slow sales, we are unlikely to ever get a conclusion to the series, particularly since the entire nation that #3 was going to take place in got nuked in 4th edition Forgotten Realms.

Master of Orion: Horrible Sales on the horrible third game killed the franchise.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

Didn't sell well, never got a sequel. The creators of the game tried to get a sequel via kickstarter, but there wasn't enough interest/awareness, so likely dead and buried for good.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the only one who plays the games I enjoy, because they always die out from lack of sales.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Get_A_Grip_ said:
Spec Ops: The Line.

I don't want a sequel, it'd probably emotionally destroy me. But I do wish more people got to play it as it points out so many of the flaws that modern shooters have, and it makes killing not fun which we need more in games.
Am I the only one who genuinely enjoyed that game and did not feel like a bad person by the end of it? It was a great game with an amazing story but I had the biggest grin on my face because I felt tricked. Not guilty just duped.

OT: I would have to say bulletstorm. That game was so much fun and I spent months on the echoes mode.

Ground0

Oct 15, 2013

Especially any Ys game.. nobody knows about this series ! yet its the best there is heck its better than some of 3dZelda games.

And Resident evil Reboot would've been a huge success if it was not on a dying console like gamecube.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012

Shattered Memories. I know it took Silent Hill's horror in a different direction, but it was a direction that I think they genuinely had fun with. The pacing, the music, the atmosphere, it was something that stood on its own from the original game rather than desperately trying to recreate it (like some other newer Silent Hills attempted).

Would have liked to see Climax Studios make more psychological games with that similar mindset.

NpPro93 said:
Has no one said Beyond Good & Evil yet? Well then, obligatory Beyond Good & Evil post. Would love to see that world explored more.
Especially with that ending...
I had a lot of fun with that game's setting, and little mechanics like photographing alien wildlife were a fun memorable bonus.

shogunblade said:
Brutal Legend. Yeah.

I have been replaying it here recently and I love it. If anything, I'm having more fun with it the 2nd time around then I did before. Difficult in some spots, but it is really, really fun. I have some minor issues with the story and sandbox, but I can't say that it isn't fun, because I really enjoy it.

I know everybody is going to say Psychonauts, but BL should have received more recognition for it's different game style. An RTS with action game elements. In this day and age, that's innovation I can get behind, I only wish people picked it up so we could have had a sequel that could have fixed up everything else that people couldn't get into.
I think Psychonauts and Brutal Legend are both a given. There are a few gameplay issues sure, and I think Brutal Legend felt spread thin in several areas, but the worlds and creativity that they set up deserve notice. They're games I actually wanted to explore.

An Individual

Sep 25, 2013
Spec Ops: The Line

As others have said, I don't want a sequel. But as a piece of art it was brilliant and I want developers to feel like they can explore things like this while also turning a profit. Also...

Plain Sight

This game had some problems; particularly surrounding network latency requirements and lack of fun when you were losing. But once you got the hang of it it was a lot of fun. Plus you played as a suicidal ninja robot.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Spec ops the Line.

What was the most important game last year sold so badly that 2K has not even released a sales figure.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Nier. Nier all the way. It was a wonderful and depressing game about how sometimes you just can't win, and its story was very unique in the way it executed through the mechanics and over time, and it combined genres beautifully, and nobody cared. Now Cavia is dissolved, and it's all our fault. >< "Hey, I bought the game, so it's not mine I guess."

Nier was a masterpiece that deserved so much more.

version4point7

Oct 26, 2013
Twisted Metal (ps3). My favorite franchise of all time, favorite genre of all time. I've bought and sold hundreds if games since it came out February 2012, and its been the only one to stay in the collection. However, it also disappointed me enough where I haven't played it since 2012. Online was going to be my new home, but for the 1st month it just didn't work for me. I loved what I played of the game; but online not working and those damn races really bummed me out. I went to play it two months ago in a good time slot for online and there were only 2 servers with people at all, and neither were going :(. I hope the franchise continues, but from what I've seen for players, and with online being dominated by fps and now gta v, who knows

OurGloriousLeader

May 14, 2008
Considering the financial failure of the game, franchise, and company, I'm guessing Red Faction: Guerrilla didn't sell enough, but I loved that game.