A Game You Wished Sold Well, But Didn't :(

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:
I really wish Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a bigger franchise. Looking at is as an extension of the X-Men Legends series it's huge but I really wish MUA was bigger and more successful than it was not just because I really liked both of those games but also because I'm trying to build up a PS3 collection and...well look up the price for Ultimate Alliance or 2 on the PS3...Isn't that nuts?! The DS version is less expensive and even when that game was more widely available you never saw it around!
Absolutely loved everything about UA1!
NOT so much UA2... Graphics definitely do not make the game.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FrozenLaughs said:
Actually... I somehow have never seen or heard of this. I'm not sure how, but I never knew this existed. I thought MoTB was "2" and then they canceled 3. You learn something new every day, maybe I'll jump on Amazon and pick up-

HOLY HELL $462.24

-nevermind I'll just pretend it never happened.
Yeah, it's a freaking RARE PS1 game. I remember having to choose between it and Unreal Tournament: GOTY Edition back in 2001. I went with UT:GOTY because I had built my first all-from-scratch gaming rig. Three months later, it was nowhere to be found.

So is the Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

IIRC, there is a PSP version of Megaman Legends 2 available somewhere.
I don't remember if it's direct download or what.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Valkyria chronicles 1 and 2 so we could have gotten 3 ;p

phoenix wright but I'm not sure what crazy numbers capcom wanted to sell with these to bring the rest over.

999 and virtues last reward, awesome games.

Riviera, know one I know knows what this is but it's dirt cheap and good.

Trauma center because there needs to be more of these games.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
So is the Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

IIRC, there is a PSP version of Megaman Legends 2 available somewhere.
I don't remember if it's direct download or what.
It's on a UMD and was only released in Japan, both Legends 1 and 2 and let me just say that they are probably the worst ports of those games ever. They are very bad ports believe me, but oh well.
I own both of them and plan on LPing them in the future since I already did the other 2 Legends games, don't own Misadventures though.
You can import both of them in a value pack for like $40 I believe and since the PSP isn't region locked then you can also play them.

OT: Well this thread stole pretty much all the games I was gonna say. >.<

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
I can think of several games that I wish had sold better. Remember Me, Enslaved, and the 2008 Prince of Persia. None of them are perfect games, but I'd like to see them all get sequels.

Exosus

Jun 24, 2008
Aussie502 said:

Such a shame that this game never sold as well as it could have. It was one of the best hidden games on the original Xbox.
I was planning to add exactly this. This was easily my favorite small-scale TBS of all time. The toothless depiction of gladiatorial games was offputting for the first couple hours and the story was a little ehhh, but the gameplay was extremely solid and the replayability was outstanding.

XCOM seems to have taken some cues from it, which is what made me love that game as well, but even just a PC port for a nostalgia replay would be like the sun on my heart for a thousand years... a sequel might actually change my life.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Malty Milk Whistle said:
Drakenguard.
God i loved that game.

Also, probably the second Golden Sun, then again, i may just be a sucker for that series.
*high fives* I love the weapon lore and backstory. I'd level up weapons just to read more of the story, like the bone crusher and other weapons.

talking about Drakengard by the way, I always got stuck in the tree web puzzle in Golden Sun.

OT:

Dark Cloud 2, or Dark Chronicle, there needs to be another one in the series, it's an awesome time traveling, giant robot, dual wielding, rogue like game with weapon evolution and a galactic crap ton of material to play through.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
FrozenLaughs said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
I really wish Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a bigger franchise. Looking at is as an extension of the X-Men Legends series it's huge but I really wish MUA was bigger and more successful than it was not just because I really liked both of those games but also because I'm trying to build up a PS3 collection and...well look up the price for Ultimate Alliance or 2 on the PS3...Isn't that nuts?! The DS version is less expensive and even when that game was more widely available you never saw it around!
Absolutely loved everything about UA1!
NOT so much UA2... Graphics definitely do not make the game.
I agree 100% actually...as a game I liked the first one a whole lot better. I thought there was just a whole lot of unused potential from the second that could have carried over into a potential third. We could have had the best of both worlds but unfortunately, the first kinda covered EVERYTHING in terms of baddies...I still don't know who some of the characters from UA2 were.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Winter Voices, Gregory Horror Show (Imagine Resident Evil, but you're defenseless, the story and controls aren't horse cum, and instead of zombies, a big, pink lizard nurse with a blood drawing fetish, among other Japanese wet dreams. Oh, also based on an anime), OFF (the game wasn't sold. But it was popular for about a week, then Tumblr being Tumblr completely ruined it, now nobody speaks of it ever. Oh, and fans are remaking it. It's called HOME. You'll find it on its TV tropes page. Basically, like the Wizard of Oz but on more acid), and a plethora of other games that didn't sell as well as they should have sold.

Like Okami. Or Earthbound. (not Mother 2. Earthbound.) Speaking of Oz, the Rpg that was made for it. Like Dragon Quest. But harder. And a dungeon crawler. And with a better story. Also, the first two Persona games have been completely overshadowed by angsty teenage bullshit that is Persona 3. They did try to localise the first, though. It was horrible, the voice acting was like having molten iron dripped into your ears, and all of the Japanese and Latin culture was still left in, along with 1/2 of the game being completely untranslated. It was a crappy localisation and didn't even localise the game.

But still, the remake didn't sell that well.

Ryleh

Jul 21, 2013
I was just fondly reminiscing about Glitch.
Seems it closed due to not being financially viable, yet so many gamers who would have been really interested never heard of it until it shut down. Admittedly I only heard of it through my friend who's a game dev, since it's kind of his job to know the competition.

The soundtrack and art was astounding. As with any cult game though you either loved it or hated it. For me, I developed a strange dependency on it like a clingy girlfriend and was at a total loss when it shut down. It was one of those games you could play while doing something else like drawing during the loading screens, and the game actually served as artistic inspiration rather than a distraction.

Luckily most of the creatives involved in the project went on to be hired by other big-ass companies so at least we don't have to feel bad about people losing their jobs etc.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
yclatious said:
Sly Cooper TIT.

The game was flawed,it realy wasnt a verry "slycooperish" game,and heck,
it was made by a team of doubtfull quality,they fucked up the stories,caracters,designs and even the damed cutscenes,
but damit,just for the sake of it,I wish it sold out better.

Sly Cooper is one of my all time favorite game series ever,to the point of replaying Sly 2 over 20 times(not joking)
Now if they made the fifth with some acual quality and DIDNT release it for consoles that would be great.
Sucker Punch no-longer make the Sly games so you may have quite the wait!

OT: The Force Unleashed II......

runs away.....
Comes back to explain.

I know the game sucked and was like 3 hours long, but I needed the third game, I needed closure on that anecdote!

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Brutal Legend. Yeah.

I have been replaying it here recently and I love it. If anything, I'm having more fun with it the 2nd time around then I did before. Difficult in some spots, but it is really, really fun. I have some minor issues with the story and sandbox, but I can't say that it isn't fun, because I really enjoy it.

I know everybody is going to say Psychonauts, but BL should have received more recognition for it's different game style. An RTS with action game elements. In this day and age, that's innovation I can get behind, I only wish people picked it up so we could have had a sequel that could have fixed up everything else that people couldn't get into.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013

I wish Last Window had sold a million, or more. Number one reason, CiNG might still be around to make a third game in the "Dusk" series, creating a trilogy. Number two reason, the potential third game could have wrapped up the whole deal with Kyle and Brian Bradley, letting them have a reunion and sorting things out. Number three reason, Kyle Hyde and Ashley Mizuki Robbins could have finally met each other.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Not in recent memory. It seems like the good games are much easier to notice with how integrated the internet is and how efficiently it advertises the good games thanks to things like Metacritic.

I do recall some games like Grim Fandango, already mentioned, that are damn fine games that should have done better and would have done better nowadays.

Honestly, at this moment I can name more games that I wish had done worse.

I'd like to say that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs should have done better. But that'd be a lie, they sold huge numbers of games and it's Square Enix for budgeting so high that millions of copies couldn't even get them out of the red.

So I've got no recent games. Maybe Wonderful 101 because I like the idea of Nintendo being rewarded for new IPs that are true to its brand.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Enslaved Odyssey to the west. It actually reminds me quite a bit of The last Of Us: an ok story (in my opinion) but with great character development and a fun combat system. Definitely deserved more sales.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Spec Ops: The Line.

I don't want a sequel, it'd probably emotionally destroy me. But I do wish more people got to play it as it points out so many of the flaws that modern shooters have, and it makes killing not fun which we need more in games.