A Good Anti-Virus Software

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
hey I have to go buy a new laptop due to someone breaking into my house and stealing my old one I already found the laptop I wanna replace it with but I can't think of an anti-virus to get my old one had norton and I was going to get that again but my friend said not to and recomended bit defender so I was wondering what is a good anti-virus for me to get?

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Kaspersky is supposed to be pretty good. Not too heavy on the system and pretty thorough at weeding out viruses.

Edit: oh and norton isn't so bad if you avoid the 360 edition, since thats just a system hog.

oxiclean

May 12, 2010
either NOD32 or kaspersky (what i use). they are both really great, and kaspersky updates its database every hour, in addition to being unintrusive.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Google these two items

-AVG Free 9.0
-Comodo Firewall(only get the firewall)

That is all you need

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
You should try Linux. It works wonders.

And that's pronounced Lee-Nooks. ;)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
AVG is actually one of the best, despite being free. Generally, though, each program is better at a different aspect of protection than others. Also, don't use two separate programs (unless you're sure they work together) or they might try to destroy each other.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I myself use AVG.

Because Norton is the devil, and is more Malware and SpyWare than Anti-Malware and Anti-SpyWare.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
oxiclean said:
either NOD32 or kaspersky (what i use). they are both really great, and kaspersky updates its database every hour, in addition to being unintrusive.
ditto i love either one of these programs kas tends to be more resource intensive than nod but kas is also imo better than nod, kas will elimiate threats in real time or stop them outright before they can even do anything. I also like security suits form nod and kaspersky they have good firewalls and anti spam, spyware utilities.

Microsoft security essentials gets very good marks and is free with windows 7, but the default windows firewall is full of fail and MSE does nothing with the built in windows firewall.

Panda and avg get good marks for being free, but having use avg years ago for a bit it did not take me long to find a way to infect my system :p, went with KAS and not had any way to get around its defenses. Course this was years ago avg and such might be much improved over my experiences and tests on them since then.

But if you go with a pure av solution look into augmenting the default windows firewall, comodo is an excellent firewall and passes all firewall tests with flying colors but it is not noobie friendly you need to have some idea what your doing to work with it and get max protection.

LordCastle

Mar 14, 2010
Go with Avast!, settle for no less.

AVG has this problem with getting deleted by viruses, and Avast! is the best free anti-virus ever. If you need a feature it offers, but not for your current version, it will gauge the importance of it, and if it's important enough (if it needs that feature to remove the virus this is 100% of the time a yes to my experience), it lets you use the feature anyways.

From that moment on I've used Avast!, and haven't looked back.

Angry Caterpillar said:
Common sense.

You should really try it, it works wonders!
I used no anti-virus for half a year, and got a virus from the a gaming portal's forum, one I've been using for over two years and never had a single problem. Unfortunately NO protection isn't an option unless you disconnect from the internet entirely.

Veleste

Mar 27, 2010
Kaspersky is the one that is recommended to me but the tech guys I work with.

I just use AVG but I'm lazy.