A good ass-stomping kind of game

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
Boy, that's a bad description, isn't it? Let's try again:

You saw "Iron Man", right? Remember how that movie felt? Guy in a suit, stomps the shit out of everything that gets in its way...just a serious ass-kicking type of movie. I want a game that feels like THAT. A game that lets you feel powerful out of the gate, and never ever lets up. As serious as the stakes may be, as much as all the NPCs go on about how the "odds are stacked against you"...you fire up the repulsors one more time and just ream the badguys a new orifice.

THAT'S the game I want to play.

Does such a wonderment of gameplay exist (ideally for PC or Xbox 360)?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
TWO new threads expressing your love for Iron Man? Man...that's weird...

>.>
<.<

[small]I got an Iron Man costume for Halloween and I actually shaved my beard to look like Tony Stark's after seeing Iron Man 3 (Iron Man 1 style; the chin strap addition he made looks really silly with my light colored beard)[/small]

As to your specific request, I'm not sure. Most games have at least some challenge to them but there is one gem that I think got overlooked this generation...

Bulletstorm

It's not the best game in the world but it's hard to feel unbadass when you kick a guy who goes flying in slow-motion, you grab another with a whip and throw him across the room into a spiked fence, fire a head-shot to kill the guy you kicked earlier, and grab another guy with the whip and throw him into the electric fence in a span of a few seconds...

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
TimeLord75 said:
Boy, that's a bad description, isn't it? Let's try again:

You saw "Iron Man", right? Remember how that movie felt? Guy in a suit, stomps the shit out of everything that gets in its way...just a serious ass-kicking type of movie. I want a game that feels like THAT. A game that lets you feel powerful out of the gate, and never ever lets up. As serious as the stakes may be, as much as all the NPCs go on about how the "odds are stacked against you"...you fire up the repulsors one more time and just ream the badguys a new orifice.

THAT'S the game I want to play.

Does such a wonderment of gameplay exist (ideally for PC or Xbox 360)?
I can think of a few :)

-Crackdown you start off kinda weak but you can level up decently quite quick, then the ass kicking begins while getting MORE powerful.

-I havn't played it yet bur saints row 4 is supposed to be very much crackdown with MORE powers.

-The darkness 2 you pretty much start with flayling tenticles right out of the gate and can romp through on normal.

- I havn't played this either but the new shadow warrior gives you a sword right off the bat to lay waste to hundreds of goons/ demons.

Thats just off the top of my head :)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
daveman247 said:
-Crackdown you start off kinda weak but you can level up decently quite quick, then the ass kicking begins while getting MORE powerful.

-I haven't played it yet bur saints row 4 is supposed to be very much crackdown with MORE powers.

-The darkness 2 you pretty much start with flayling tenticles right out of the gate and can romp through on normal.

- I haven't played this either but the new shadow warrior gives you a sword right off the bat to lay waste to hundreds of goons/ demons.
I equally have not played Saints Row 4 (though 2-3 was a blast) or Shadow Warrior but I can give a big "I AGREE" sign to Crackdown (specifically 1; Crackdown 2 wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either) and The Darkness 2. If you go Darkness however, I would strongly recommend starting with 1, though that will be less Iron Man than you are looking for I'm afraid...

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
My recommendations:

Prototype: saying your character is broken would be a mild understatement

Character action games such as devil may cry 3-4, bayonetta, wonderful 101, Metal gear revengance they admitidly rely more on your skill, but if you learn fast you can dominate and truly feel like a badass (and deserve to feel that way too :p )

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
TWO new threads expressing your love for Iron Man? Man...that's weird..
I'm placing the blame firmly on the volume of Jack Daniel's I've consumed. Just sayin'.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I second Crackdown, as well as Prototype and Devil May Cry 3 and 4.

The Devil May Cry games make you feel like a complete badass, and if you're really looking for that "stomp all the bad guys, take no prisoners" kind of feel you can just set the game to easy.

I can also recommend prototype in that "so over powered it's not even funny" kind of way, but only for about 1/3 of the game. See, the first third of the game is spent with very few powers, so you don't feel as badass, and the last third of the game has a huge military presence which makes getting around kind of a pain in the ass, but that middle third, that third is absolutely glorious.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Saints Row IV. If it's power fantasy ye be wantin', you can't really top taking a character who can already single-handedly take down whole armies, giving them superpowers, and making them President of the United States for good measure.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I recommend Space Marine and Hotline Miami.

Space Marine is a third-person slash and shooter. The story is rather flat but the gameplay is well-done which is what you're presumably looking for. All the weapons are satisfying to use and regardless of whether you're up close ripping up enemies with your chainsword or shooting from a distance with the standard Boltgun you will feel like a god. Even better, switching between combat styles is seamless so it all flows really well. You should get it for pretty cheap nowadays and even without much replayability it is a blast.

Hotline Miami is a top down 2D retro-aesthetic fuck 'em up. Everything about this game is pretty top stuff but of course the gameplay seals the deal. One-hit kills and one-hit deaths. With that in mind, go wreak some havoc. Doesn't sound fun? Give it a try anyway. With high-risk and high-reward, the feeling of playing this game is -excuse my language- euphoric. You can engage the enemy in either melee or ranged combat, the former being obviously way more satisfying. You can use everything from a power drill to a katana, how awesome is that? To top it all off, the soundtrack is off-the-balls amazing.

Hope you enjoy. I think Hotline Miami fits the 'odds are stacked against you' criteria a bit better but both games are really fun nonetheless.

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
I second Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, it's my go to game for when I feel like stomping some arse, that game is great at making you feel like an unstoppable death machine, plus the online is pretty fun.

An Individual

Sep 25, 2013
I second Space Marine. I find the Warhammer 40k lore frankly silly and the story is some where between bland and outright stupid. But the game play is solid, fun, and is more or less in line with what your looking for. Plus the stomping of enemies into a gooey paste isn't just an option. It's an important game mechanic.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Darksiders, you can kill everything you encounter pretty easy and War really throws his weight around. It's just a good game for squashing things if you don't really want a challenge.

And I also nominate Prototype. nothing quite like picking up people and launching the off buildings to make you feel all powerful.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
God of War 1-3 should provide you with sufficient badassery and stomping around. If you own a PS3 that is.

Also, I'll sign the post mentioning Bulletstorm. Great game and a lot of stomping everyone to a pulp.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I would say Batman Arkham Asylum/City games. You start as Batman beating dudes to a bloody pulp and all the upgrades you get only add new ways to beat dudes to a bloody pulp.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
God Hand. You can kick your enemies in the balls or punch them into orbit. And you can customize the controller layout with different moves you get. Also, gorilla suplex, need I say more?

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
red faction guerilla. smash the living crap out of any and everything that gets in your way with the almighty hammer of thor. it's ruddy brilliant :D

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Saints Row 4 and Warhammer 40000: Space Marine.

One you play as the President of the United States that gains super-powers in a Matrix style simulation, you can even dress yourself as Neo and go nuts. You can sprint like the Flash, glide like a bird, leap tall buildings in a single bound and even throw fireballs as well as screw with the local gravity as you progress through the game.

The other you play a a Space Marine, not one of those cover seeking pussies to today but one of the first primogenitors that pre-dates even The Doomguy. If you go any further back in the family tree you'll hit Starship Troopers (the novel, not the movie), he gains health by killing enemies and the swap between gun-play to melee is seamless and I've yet to see better. It's also pretty cheap as it was released a few years ago.

Plus: