A great game you stopped playing.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
As gamer many of us come to this point in our life. There is a fantastic game which we absolutely love, we play the shit out of them, over and over even if there is nothing to unlock but the simple enjoyment of the experience.

It started with something going wrong on my laptop while I was trying to connect to a TF2 match, I thought screw it and just rebooted the whole machine. In boredom I turned to my PS3 and looked at the list of games which I had lost interest in playing, among them was the fine work of art that is named Metal Gear Solid 4. I had played this game over more times then I could count so I thought to myself why not ? I loaded a save file and continued an old play through, after 30 min in I remembered why I stopped playing this game(I stopped playing after a gaurd shot Old Snake to death while he was hiding in a dumpster). Not because I knew how to beat it or that there was nothing left for me to uncover but because the saved file I had made a while ago was on the highest difficulty, it was so challenging it was more about patience then actual skill. That is my reason to stop playing MGS4 , because the difficulty I had it saved on was too high and I don't wish to bother with starting a new save on lower difficulty.

Yahtzee once made a point on how games should allow you to change difficulty at anytime, he was damn right.

My question what was the great game you loved and stopped playing ?

LeQuack_Is_Back

May 25, 2009
Okami, because I'd started to become violently ill while playing it, and so for a couple weeks afterward, trying to play just dredged up some unpleasant memories.

Battlezone 2. Not out of choice, mind, but because it's so old-school that my new computers have trouble running it.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Both FF8 and FF9. I didn't like grinding at that time and I was just too weak to keep going. Years later, I finished X-2 even though it was putrid, though. Life is odd.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
So, so, so so many.

Tales of Vesperia
Tales of the Abyss
Rogue Galaxy
Persona 3
Shadow Hearts 2
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Okami
Super Mario Bros. Wii
Infamous 2
God of War 3
Yakuza 3
Just Cause 2
Nier
Lost Odyssey
Shadows of the Damned
Arkham City
Xenogears

And likely more. Now, I fully intend to continue/finish most of these games. In most cases, "stopped playing" means I took a break, a day became two, two days became a week, a week became a month, and so on. It's rarely that I was bored; in most cases something else came out that I'd really been looking forward to, and that just took over my attention.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
- Xenoblade Chronicles.

Time... just, time... I need more of it!

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY edition

The world has a great mythos to it, but... the story and characters are just so bland and uninteresting that I couldn't even push myself beyond 10 hours.

- Legendary

It sucked.

- Final Fantasy XIII

Dito.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Okami -- got to a new area, was overwhelmed on what to do next, decided 'fuck it'.

Fallout 3 -- replayed the beginning few hours literally dozens of times (go here, beat this quest, get this gun, kill these guys, etc) that I get sick of playing it. I still have yet to beat all of the DLCs, with the exception of The Pitt.

Ocarina of Time -- got to Ganon's castle, and just stopped playing.

Mass Effect -- got to the planet in the nebulae cloud, and just stopped playing.

Borderlands -- unlocked the third area, and just stopped playing.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas.

It's my favourite game ever, but it runs REALLY badly on my laptop, which is unfortunately my only option for computers. Now, it being as incredible as it is, I put up with the 4 FPS for 205 hours of playtime. But I just can't do it now; and not helping is that I always feel the need to go through that very optional tutorial mission, which I've done countless times now. I get bored from doing the tutorial before I get to the meat of the game---before I get to the stuff which compelled me to try it again in the first place.

But I'm gonna pick up the Ultimate edition when it comes to PS3, and then all will be well.

MortalKomic

Carmichael
Mar 5, 2011
L.A Noire- It gets repetitive and Cole Phelps is a dick.
Borderlands- Repetitive as well. Also not too fun alone.
Dead Rising- Returned that piece of crap, I hate this series.
Command & Conquer: Renegade-...I should play that game again...
Left 4 Dead 2- Meh, really freakin' boring.
Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe- The new MK kicks it's ass...playing as Green Lantern was cool though.

Sure there are other games but I can't recall anymore.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Newest would be LOTRO.
Stuck to that game for over a year without any breaks, which is a long time for me. I usually jump from MMO to MMO(LOTRO included) every couple of months due to boredom.

The last expansion made the game a bit too WoW-like however, so I haven't really felt like playing it lately. Will be going back eventually, but as for now I'm on a break.

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
TES V Skyrim

NOT because its a bad game
NOT because i found it repetitive

Just because i just did...IL probably play it more in a few weeks or in a month but i kinda have stopped playing it

den0008

Dec 23, 2010
Persona 3.
Fate/Extra.
FFVII.
FFVIII.
FFX.
FFI.
FFII.
Suikoden.

All because I cannot deal with the amount of grinding needed to continue.

bluepanda 492

Aug 16, 2010
Fallout New Vegas: Console version glitched violently, and Pc version crashes to damn much.

Final Fantasy 7&9: 7 because the disc broke, and 9's been on and off since it came out until last year.

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
den0008 said:
Persona 3.
Fate/Extra.
FFVII.
FFVIII.
FFX.
FFI.
FFII.
Suikoden.

Why do you play jrpgs?

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
So....so....many...

I don't know why I stopped playing these games, most of the time their not bad, it's just....
I guess games that I've played for too long, or hell, games with a story that don't engage me are the ones I stop playing. I just cant be bothered playing them..

Lets see...

Theif 3
Like every Total War game, ever. (I have never actually finished a campaign to date)
Skyrim (I really have to get back to this)
Oblivion
Falout 3 (I'm getting the GOTY edition from a friend, I want to play the dlc)
Borderlands
Assassins Creed's
Age of Empires 2

I'm sure theres a ton more, but I cant think of them..

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
den0008 said:
Suikoden.

Suikoden's progression is logarithmic... you never need to grind.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Skyrim. I was having a blast with it (Though the high fantasy setting is my least favorite), then I randomly stopped playing. I'm not sure why. I really like the game, but my desire to play it is completely gone.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
Well I stopped playing Super Mario 3D Land because I'm making a Bacon-Chedder Apple Pie and I'm only on the first level... I'm going to play it now.

Ok fine. What else? LittleBig Planet 2. I beat the campain, but there's so much more to do, like completion and the online levels. Maybe it's too open ended. I'll probably use that game to attempt to teach my parents to be able to use a controller.

I also have Bit Trip Beat and Runner from some Steam Bundles, but my Mac can't play them because the graphics are too fancy.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Oblivion and all assassins creed games at some point

Hell I only played a few rounds of online Revelations , loved it to death, but stopped playing

I think me and AC have issues that we'll have to work out someday

TL:DR
I own all Assassins creed games and only finished the first

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Too damn many. Here's just all my Steam games on indeterminate hiatus:

-Arkham Asylum (not so good at stealth...)
-Psychonauts (why the hell does the Cobweb Duster cost 800 arrowheads if it's that necessary for The Milkman Conspiracy? Nobody except the most ardent JRPG fan would have 800 arrowheads by that point!)
-Both Deus Ex games (both got a little too hard)
-Mass Effect (ragequit)
-Bioshock (stopped working and then the sound cut out, and it's kinda necessary)
-Max Payne (ragequit)
-Painkiller (a bug prevents me from properly loading 1-5)
-Half-Life 2 (ragequit)

There's a few others that I either got bored of, are "lunch break sized" or else I just haven't installed them yet.