A Harry Potter Movie Question

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
So despite being in my late teens, being an avid reader, and not living under a rock I have only recently started reading Harry Potter books. I've been going through a new one basically every other day, and I should be done with them all in time to go watch the final movie. My question is whether there are any differences between the movies and the books, to the point where I also have to go watch all of the other movies before seeing The Deathly Hallows Part 2?

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
If your going to watch the new one I would suggest it. But I'm not going to suggest it because I hated part 1 of the 7th movie. Couldn't make it through a second time. I don't think its neccesary to watch the first one no.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
rancher of monsters said:
So despite being in my late teens, being an avid reader, and not living under a rock I have only recently started reading Harry Potter books. I've been going through a new one basically every other day, and I should be done with them all in time to go watch the final movie. My question is whether there are any differences between the movies and the books, to the point where I also have to go watch all of the other movies before seeing The Deathly Hallows Part 2?
They follow the book pretty well, maybe leave somethings out here and there, but nothing to bad, I would only suggest watching Deathly Hallows Part 1 before going to see 2

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Maraveno said:
yes they leave out 75% and sometimes just do things completely different then in the books

That's the gist of it
This sums it up pretty well.

I was in the same position myself, I'd never read the books, watched the movies, or gave it much thought. Then my girlfriend got me into them after two years of pestering me, that was about a year and a half ago; I'm on my third read through of the entire series and don't plan to make it my last.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Deathly Hallows part 1 is...eh. It's vastly different than the book, and not really in a good way. It's an ok movie, but the book is better.

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
I heard about the series a lot. Got dragged to the first movie by my then-10-yr-old eldest nephew, who was big on the books. After seeing the movie (twice, mind you), I decided I should catch-up on the books to prepare for the inevitable sequels. Read through them twice so far.

The movies, like MOST movies based on books, cut a fair bit out and change a little bit. For instance, the first film leaves out the "bottle trap" that Hermione and Harry have to go through to finally get to Quirrel. In the second film, it's McGonnagal who tells of the story behind the Chamber of Secrets instead of the ghostly History of Magic professor in the book. You get the gist.

As for movie 7.2,...if you've read through the books by the time it comes out, there's really no reason to see ANY of the movies. But, if you must see one to prep for it, see Deathly Hallows 1. Somehow, I don't see them having a "Previously on 'Harry Potter'" montage at the start of 7.2.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
The first three movies are fairly accurate. I think the sixth was fairly accurate.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
chriswolvie said:
For instance, the first film leaves out the "bottle trap" that Hermione and Harry have to go through to finally get to Quirrel.

Somehow, I don't see them having a "Previously on 'Harry Potter'" montage at the start of 7.2.
That edit was one of the ones I really didn't like, it was easily the most interesting trap though I understand how it doesn't translate well visually.

And I'm not sure if I would die from laughter or rage if there was a "Previously on 'Harry Potter'" montage. If it was voiced by the DBZ guy I'd probably give it a laugh.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The movies have hit the point where, if you haven't read the books, you're going to be completely lost. How many people do you really think understood why the Half Blood Prince was called what it was called? So far, no one I've talked to understands the title.
However, if you have read the books, the movies have gotten to the point where they cut out so much stuff and change so many things that you're going to spend a good deal of time going, "Wait! What about (insert here)?" See above statement for evidence.
The Deathly Hollows Part 1 actually did a good job of following the book because the producers realized there was too much info for one movie, and split it into two. Or...I think they did a good job. The only thing I remember about the last book is the fight at the end. The rest of the time, they are in the forest, in a tent, talking and planning. It's a different book compared to the rest. So yeah, I guess Part 1 did a good job on that.