A Heartbreaking Glimpse of a Steampunk Batman Game

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I guess the interest just evaporated when they realized they'd be competing against Arkham City.
You might even say they were prematurely steamrolled into submission.

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
Duruznik said:
There was going to be a steampunk Batman? And it got cancelled?!

...Excuse me for a minute, I have to go cry in the corner for a bit...
This^^^

As you put it a steampunk batman and it's cancelled?????

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Madre De Dios, NO! By Mignolia and it got canned! He designed Mr Freeze for BTAS, along with Hellboy! Hope Rockstady picks this up!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Now, just in case you needed reminding how vast, uncaring and fundamentally unfair the universe is; while this Batman game will never see the light of day, this one [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdTlD80ms4A] most certainly did.
y

Just... y

There is no justice in the world.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
So disappointing...even if it was a shooter, as SilverHammerMan said, I would have still liked to try it out.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
You never know... Arkham City is done and it'll be hard to take it from there. Maybe Gotham by Gaslight will be a new direction to take?

Maybe they'll make a Batman Beyond. That'd be kind of neat.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Baresark said:
I'm not surprised a one shot Batman didn't take off. Even avid comics fans may have missed a one shot. I collected comics, ad nauseum, for years. And the only thing I was ever interested in was continuity. Though I was a Marvel man. It seems that it would have appealed to a more niche audience. I even know some people who would have avoided the game because it was in a Steam Punk setting. I personally hate anything about the boring ass Victorian Era. So, it was lose lose when it came to my friends and myself.

I remember Batman Forever. I rented it when it first came out. My god, what a bad game. The music is enough to make your ears bleed. But, if you notice, it was Published by Akklaim. All the developer did was use Mortal Kombat as an inspiration to controls. Only, batman threw nothing but high punches. He even used the same sweep. And when he was dazed it was the same animation when waiting for a finishing move. Just a terrible game.
Say what you will about the Victorian Era, but it sure as hell wasn't boring! The era represented everything that's wrong with society - exploitation, industrialisation, AND confusing archaeologists by making replicas of much more valuable stuff.

OT: Phooey to the nay-sayers. This would work. A gadget-driven vigilante is everything steampunk stands for!

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Steampunk is incredibly stupid. I'm very happy Batman will not be starring in this game. Steampunk usually just involves modern, or slightly futuristic, technology with a brass finish and some gears and pipes glued to it. Actually powering modern devices using steam is impractical to the point of absurdity, and to think it possible or even efficient makes you look very ignorant.

I mean come on people! How can you find crap like this appealing?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Scrustle said:
Is it just me or does it seem that it's really hard to actually get a Steampunk game to do well? Hardly any successful games right now are based on the Steampunk aesthetic, and it's not rare to hear some kind of Steampunk game was cancelled or never even got of the cutting room floor. Such a shame.
Arcanum and Thief 2 were really the only ones, and that was over a decade ago.

It didn't help that the only really upfront steampunk game that came out in the last couple years, Damnation, was perhaps the absolute worst shooter in a market already saturated with shooters.

Mcoffey said:
Bioshock? While not entirely steam punk it's got it's fair share of steamyness, Infinite especially. There's also that new first-person stealth game coming out soon.

But yeah, they do seem to be the exceptions rather than the norm. I think it's just because Steampunk is a pretty niche genre, like a lot of the [x]-punk stuff.
BioShock is a weird example, since it takes place in an alternate version of 1960, where the decor and styles are straight out of the 1920s, but they still use late 19th century steam power? So we have some pulp historian's fantasy of steampunk married to dieselpunk married to atompunk. Infinite looks like it'll be more consistently steampunk, since it's actually set in the late 1800s.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Batman Forever (on the Genesis) was an amazing game. I especially loved the awe-inspiring graphics and the award winning soundtrack. I'd like to see Skyrim compete with that voice acting.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The controls also indicate that the game was meant to be a shooter (RT = shoot, RB = cycle weapon, and the d-pad can make him lean in either direction). They also included a "slow-mo" button, this game sounds like a steampunk, Batman-skin for FEAR, true it would be better than FEAR, but it still wouldn't be a good Batman game.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Grey Carter said:
A game based on the one-shot, Victorian-era take on the perpetually-scowling vigilante penned by Brian Augustyn and Mike Mignola.
Wouldn't it technically be "Gilded Age"? Victorian would refer to to British territories, and presumably this game would have lacked the cliche late 19th century English culture in place of its American counterpart.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
daemon37 said:
Steampunk is incredibly stupid. I'm very happy Batman will not be starring in this game. Steampunk usually just involves modern, or slightly futuristic, technology with a brass finish and some gears and pipes glued to it. Actually powering modern devices using steam is impractical to the point of absurdity, and to think it possible or even efficient makes you look very ignorant.
The funny thing is the original comic is not steampunk (though it's terrible sequel was). It's basically the idea of Bruce Wayne being trained by Sherlock Holmes and Sigmund Freud to hunt Jack the Ripper whose shown up in Gotham. He had no tech and simply relied on his martial arts and detective training while utilizing the psychological effects of fear. It's a decent read.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
i didnt even read this and im already exited! steampunk batman game? count me in!
wait "smothered in its bed" oww... :(
i guess we will have to wait for marvel to decide making a"spiderman 1602" game is a good idea :/