A look at next gen hair physics

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
On UE4 [https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/01/28/playstation-5-hair-physics-rendering-unreal-engine-4/]

Pretty cool, but I?d love to see that extend to actual gameplay dynamics, where character models and environments can be damaged or otherwise interacted with in various ways.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
no i will not turn off my adblocker or pay $1.99 just to see that article.

what does the gist of the article say? more realistic hair physics on PS5? ok.... better graphics and model physics are kind of the basic things i'd expect from the latest machine that's aiming to be the most powerful console out there...

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Yoshi178 said:

what does the gist of the article say? more realistic hair physics on PS5? ok.... better graphics and model physics are kind of the basic things i'd expect from the latest machine that's aiming to be the most powerful console out there...

Not sure what sort of adblock you're using that made you unable to see the video lol. Either way, they were just linking to a tweet that mine didn't affect so here it is:

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/1220395996435251200

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Dreiko said:
Yoshi178 said:

Not sure what sort of adblock you're using that made you unable to see the video lol. Either way, they were just linking to a tweet that mine didn't affect so here it is:

my god that's pointless.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Yoshi178 said:
Dreiko said:
Yoshi178 said:

my god that's pointless.

It looks really realistic whereas my idea of awesome hair physics is something closer to DBZ than just to my literal own hair (I have pretty long hair haha). I dunno what I was expecting going in but it was something a lot more fantastical than that lol.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I want games to stop trying to be movies, and start being games again..

Nothing wrong with fancy graphics in and of itself (Though "cinematic" can go take a hike), but only after solid player-controlled mechanics and gameplay has been done.

Nov 28, 2007
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I want games to stop trying to be movies, and start being games again..

Nothing wrong with fancy graphics in and of itself (Though "cinematic" can go take a hike), but only after solid player-controlled mechanics and gameplay has been done.
That pretty much mirrors my feeling. I always get nervous when a game talks about how realistic it is in some way before talking about the actual game. It doesn't matter how well the hair flows around my character's shoulders if I get bored with the game and start twirling my character around just to enjoy the physics for a few seconds, then turn it off.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Thing is visual fidelity is easily quantifiable. Pretty much anyone (including shareholders) can tell at a glance that these hair physics are more realistic than what came before.

But how would you go about convincing someone to buy your game because it has better gameplay? Simply showing is not likely to sway many people who aren't already familiar with the type of game you're peddling. Providing a demo seems the obvious solution, but few still want to invest in those.

Simply put, fancy graphic are easier to market.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Dreiko said:
Yoshi178 said:
Dreiko said:
Yoshi178 said:

my god that's pointless.

It looks really realistic whereas my idea of awesome hair physics is something closer to DBZ than just to my literal own hair (I have pretty long hair haha). I dunno what I was expecting going in but it was something a lot more fantastical than that lol.
i'm not saying it doesn't look realistic. it just looks like really pointless technology.

i'm here to buy a machine that let's me play videogames, not a L'Oreal commercial.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yoshi178 said:
Dreiko said:
Yoshi178 said:
Dreiko said:
Yoshi178 said:

my god that's pointless.

i'm not saying it doesn't look realistic. it just looks like really pointless technology.

i'm here to buy a machine that let's me play videogames, not a L'Oreal commercial.
And now we can have both! XD

Nov 9, 2015
This reminds me of the ps3 bathtub ducks demo. The reality is that if you were to put that in a game with the fidelity shown, say 4 characters, you would have less than 1 fps.

What you might see is hair with a very small number of guide curves, to the point you can see tufts of hair moving together. 'Simulate each individual strand of hair' my hairy balls.

Then you would need a tiny number of collision iterations to be feasible. When the guide curves slightly touches a collision object, it will spazz out. There will be an awkward gap between the hair and the collision object, or else the hair will penetrate the object and spazz out. If the character moves too fast, the hair will get caught on the scalp and never return to its default position.

tl;dr: It's marketing bullshit