A Major Marvel Hero Will Die In Civil War II

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
A Major Marvel Hero Will Die In Civil War II

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1030/1030236.jpgCivil War II will kill a major Marvel hero in a Minority Report-styled scenario.

It's just a few more months before Marvel fans <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165168-Captain-America-Civil-War-Gets-First-Trailer>can watch superheroes beat each other senseless in Captain America: Civil War. But comic book readers won't be left out - Marvel Comics will soon roll out Civil War II, a sequel to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12459-Captain-America-3-Will-Bring-Civil-War-to-the-Marvel-Cinematic-U>the original 2006 event. What will pit one-time friends against each other this time? As it turns out, something fairly personal: The death of a major Marvel character.

The original Civil War event was based around the Superhuman Registration Act, which forced all heroes to either reveal their secret identities or be arrested for illegal vigilantism. Civil War II is taking a different approach, one that veers into Minority Report territory. It begins when a powerful precog character emerges who can predict the future with a startling degree of accuracy. This information ultimately divides Marvel's heroes: Captain Marvel wants to profile potential criminals in advance, while Iron Man fears this will lead to people being persecuted for actions they never committed.

So where does this "major Marvel character" come in? Apparently this new seer predicts that a hero will be responsible for a devastating act of destruction three days in the future. While the actual character and their motives aren't yet known, it will force Marvel's heroes to make a hard choice - presumably with lethal results.

[gallery=5400]

Sure, Civil War II is an easy way to get Captain America: Civil War viewers looking at comics <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12524-Everything-You-Need-To-Know-About-Captain-Marvelwhile marketing Captain Marvel at the same time. And resurrecting the Civil War name does feel strange with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138018-Marvels-Civil-War-Comic-Series-Coming-2015>the Secret Wars tie-in occurring so recently. But all the same, the premise is a great way to put superhero characters on the defensive incredibly quickly. If writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist David Marquez can take the concept in a unique direction, this should make for a very interesting read.

Source: <a href=http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/marvel-kill-character-civil-war-ii-article-1.2491020>NY Daily News, via <a href=http://www.newsarama.com/27466-major-hero-to-die-in-civil-war-ii.html>Newsarama

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
This is horrifying for so many reasons, first comicbooks stop with that "this character is going to die" we know it's not going to be permanent. secondly stop pretending Civil War was a good comic. Three, Even though I'm nicer to Bendis then most people (Miles Morales Spiderman series was one of the first comics I read when I started interest in comics) he cannot do these big crossover events, a better choice than Mark Miller but just stop giving him crossover event comics. fourth didn't we just get done secret wars? Five, when are heroes going to be fighting villains again?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Marvel is truly and utterly devoid of original ideas at this point. I'm glad I stopped reading their books long ago. Civil War I was terrible and everything I learned about Civil War II is making me cringe.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I really liked Civil War and it was actually the arch that got me back into comics. That being said, every event they've done since then has been frustrating in one way or another. The emotional impact of what happened in Civil War all came from characters who we had all known for years now forced to confront each other in ways that had stakes and emotions tied to them.

I haven't read Captain Marvel since She was Ms. Marvel, and the other new characters I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in as I was with Steve Rodgers, Peter Parker and a lot of the other characters involved. They've tried to face lift the comic universe so much that it's too soon. I mean Sam Wilson is a fine Cap, but we know nothing is going to happen to him. They could Kill of Tony, but what's the point? The characters are all still too new to get rid of anyone significant.

But more importantly, Marvel really needs to let the comic book universe breath a little. So many freaking reboots and re-casts and "earth shattering events" that being out for a few issues has completely erased any investment I had with everyone. Even when I start to get re-invested with the characters, they seem to reboot things again...

tl;dr I'm not a fan of this move. Civil War was cool but it was cool because I was invested in the characters. I don't even know these characters so I could care less what happens to most of them. Work on making the separate books good again and maybe finish an arch or two before jamming another event book down our throats...

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm making my false prediction now. Sam Wilson will kill Wade Wilson for being a Cracker who's ancestors owned his ancestors. Marvel is doing this in hopes that it'll take away interest in people seeing Fox's Deadpool movie.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
For some reason, I have a bad feeling about this. It kinda feels like Marvel is rehashing old ideas (though hopefully with better results. That's what you get when you don't plan out the damn story...)

And if a major character does die, you just know they'll come back later. Oh come on, everyone knows it!

Still, it's kinda interesting to see Iron Man on the opposite side of the Registration fence this time around. Hopefully this won't go uncommented on. Preferably by Deadpool.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
The only reason whoever it is will stay dead is because some other studio is doing movies of them, and they want to stop that...

(so that is 'stay dead' as long as they can't be in the MCU)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RatGouf said:
I'm making my false prediction now. Sam Wilson will kill Wade Wilson for being a Cracker who's ancestors owned his ancestors. Marvel is doing this in hopes that it'll take away interest in people seeing Fox's Deadpool movie.
That's...sadly, probably going to be better than the book.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
WolvDragon said:
Uh Hold up a second, now I'm not into comics, I never read them, but I did read into Civil War, and after reading article post, I find it freaking hilarious

Captain America was on the anti registrationn side, meaning he was for pro privacy, and Iron Man was on the pro registration side, so he had no problem spilling the beans on your identity. Now they're going for a complete switcheroo here that shows how hypocritical they are. Comic buffs will instantly know this, but it needs to be pointed how stupid it is for their motives. Plus they killed off Captain America in the first Civil War, and brought him back, so obviously they're doing the samething. Way to go Marvel, you truly ran out of ideas

Besides they'll bring them back later on anyway.
Not sure its really hypocritical....in round 1 he was advocating registering weapons at the cost of personal privacy. Round two he's against punishing people for actions they havent actually done. Its only hypocritical if you treat it as 'He agreed with the government once so he has to agree with the government every time!' Which completely robs the civil war arcs of their motivator: Individuals backing their morals, even when it means hard choices and fighting friends.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Geeze guys. Spoiler much?

Remember when plots like this used to be a thrilling/shocking experience instead of the pre-advertised guessing game they've become?

Oh crap, I've turned into an old man.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
And absolutely no one will be surprised when this turns into another "self fulfilling prophecy" story.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Why do comic book characters even care anymore? Death is just this sort of weird amorphous concept that doesn't carry any weight. Haven't all the characters died like eight times already?

DBZ was plenty stupid, but I like the way it treated death.
Character 1: Yamcha's dead!
Character 2: Whatever, we'll get the Dragon Balls I guess.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I think Iron Man will die. It'll keep Robert Downy Jr. out of the movies so they can pay him less. The Iron-man can still run around as controlled by AI programming so they won't really be losing an iconic super hero. Just his alias. War Machine may get a repaint to take over the role. His resurrection will come in the form of a Tony Stark AI and eventually be given a 'practically like real' robot body.

If they're going to do a Civil War 2, they should have one of all villains to see who gets to rule Earth. Doomsday vs Mageneto.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Brian Michael Bendis, bringing back stories from 2007... but why?

Listen, I liked Civil War, probably more than some other people around here. It had all the feels, excellent writing, the tie ins were for the most part written really well... but please stop rehashing stories Marvel. Your writing is going down the shitter, the last thing we need is the whole remake thing happening with every one of your comics. If you are going to price people out of reading your comics, at least try to have some good and original stories for your audience.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Who's it gonna be? Man-ape? Asbestos lady? Fatman the Human Flying Saucer?(I know he's not marvel but I had to bring him up)

If they actually had the balls to kill off somebody popular and keep them dead I'd respect them, heck if they had the balls to kill off somebody who's unpopular and keep them dead I'd probably have just as much respect for them(James Todd a character they actually killed off by popular demand). But is anybody seriously going to fall for this now?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, it takes some serious guys to temporarily kill off some important character before bringing him back to life a little later. /sarcasm

Seriously, why is this even news worthy?