A Mars of Ice & Fire: Lava and Water Could Explain Strange Features

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
A Mars of Ice & Fire: Lava and Water Could Explain Strange Features

But that's not all NASA has uncovered. The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter spotted a strange landform last week that looks like a 2 kilometer wide pie. While the Rover can't get in for a closer look, the current belief is that lava pushed up beneath while the heat melted any ice lingering above it.

In other words, we're finding more and more evidence to suggest that Mars is more similar to Earth than we'd ever realized. This will be hugely significant not only to NASA, but any organization planning to colonize the red planet in the future.

[gallery=3607]

Source: The Washington Post
<a href=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA18932>NASA, via <a href=http://www.space.com/27939-weird-mars-pie-landform-mro-photo.html>Space

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
This doesn't suprise me at all, all the docos I watched and books I read years ago (when I was a teenager) said that Mars used to have water and volcanic activity and that the core had gone cold which is what killed the planet (dead core = no more magnetic field which allowed the solar winds to strip the atmosphere off the planet). Sounds like their just confirming an already widely accepted theory, nice work.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
The main question that I have is where did all of the water go? Underground? Lost due to Mars's weak/thin atmosphere?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Well, introduce some plant life, a couple(maybe a lot, Mars' atmosphere is kinda thin) of water-ice comets and we might have a nice place we can mine for uranium some day, like 300 years after I die.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ProZack said:
I'm just waiting for them to find the Prothean ruins, tbh.
but then it would still take a few decades and a lot of deaths from cancer to get to L3 biotics.