A moment of your time...

Salmaras

Sep 5, 2009
Oh hey guys, some very very bored people may remember that a while back i asked you guys to fill in two questionaires as an awesome favour to me for my College Work.

Well, i kind of have to do another one, this time on advertising a video game. So basically what i have here are some basic questions just to see what people think of advertising in general.

Thank you for anyone who does this as you're doing em a huuge favour.

Here are the questions:

1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checkign review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game?

2. Why?

3. Do you pay attention to the Banners you see on the Websites?

4. If not, why?

5. Do you read advertisements in Magazines and Newspapers?

6. Do you think good advertising makes you more likely to buy a game?

7. Why?

8. Do you pay attention to In-Game Advertising?

9. Have you ever bought a game purely on the basis of information you found on it from it's website, a store page about it or advertisements for it?

10. If so, why?

Mittens, cookies and a giant iguana for anyone who takes part :D

P.S, if any of the moderators don't believe i'm a student (again) feel free to contact me and i will help alleviate any confusion.

Salmaras

Sep 5, 2009
Sober Thal said:
What college work makes you ask strangers so many questions?

Sounds like some ad agency employee to me.

If not, best of luck to ya, sorry I had doubt!
I know it sounds unconvincing but i take a course in general Games Development, this is split into six units and this current unit is based around research, so now that we've moved on to Advertising Games i have to perform yet more market research through questionnaires, hence why i'm here. I know it seems strange which is why if anyone does find it a rpoblem i'm happy to speak to the moderators.

Mace Tulio

Feb 5, 2011
Good luck with your course, I'm undergoing a similar one at the moment.

1. Yes

2. Only if the review is at either end of the extreme, and is consistant across several reviews

3. Yes

4. (I know it says if not, bust still) I like to follow the advertising campaigns of games, to try and figure out how the game is marketing itself.

5. No, I don't read alot of magazines

6. Yes

7. I'm a sucker for good advertising, I wasn't going to buy Bulletstorm before the advertising campaign.

8. I actively seek it out, so yes.

9. Yes

10. Usually advertisement, like I said, I'm a sucker for advertising, I generally don't trust the games homepage, too biased.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
<spoiler=My Answers>
1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checkign review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game?Nope.

2. Why?Because I don't trust other people's opinions on stuff.

3. Do you pay attention to the Banners you see on the Websites?No.

4. If not, why?I don't notice them, usually.

5. Do you read advertisements in Magazines and Newspapers?No.

6. Do you think good advertising makes you more likely to buy a game?Yes.

7. Why?Because it means I'll actually notice the game, and maybe become interested enough to research it myself.

8. Do you pay attention to In-Game Advertising?Nope.

9. Have you ever bought a game purely on the basis of information you found on it from it's website, a store page about it or advertisements for it?Nope.

10. If so, why?N/A

Mittens, cookies and a giant iguana for anyone who takes part :DI want my giant iguana now! =D

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Salmaras said:
1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checkign review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game? Yup.

2. Why? Because games are really expensive. I don't like taking chances when $100 are at stake.

3. Do you pay attention to the Banners you see on the Websites? I do my best to ignore them. However, if I happen to catch eye of something that looks interesting, and doesn't look like it's bullshit, I might check it out.

4. If not, why? Because I'm not surfing the web to look at advertisements. I'm here to look at entertaining content.

5. Do you read advertisements in Magazines and Newspapers? Only if they look unusually interesting.

6. Do you think good advertising makes you more likely to buy a game? Probably.

7. Why? First of all, I can't buy a game I don't know about. Second, I won't buy a game if the adverts make it look like it'll be a boring experience.

8. Do you pay attention to In-Game Advertising? I don't even think I have ever noticed a piece of in-game adverts.

9. Have you ever bought a game purely on the basis of information you found on it from it's website, a store page about it or advertisements for it? No. I like to do some more reasearch, primarily on unbiased internet sites.

10. If so, why?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checkign review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game?

--Not really. I look at reviews to get a feel for what the game is and what to expect, however I try to take their conclusions with a grain of salt until I experience it for myself.

2. Why?

--I'm not the reviewer, and I'm aware of this. They are looking for different things than I am. There are some things that they mind and I don't, and vice versa. It is unfair and ignorant to not like a game you've never played before.

--Sometimes, but I usually only look at them if they load before everything else or they're one of those obnoxious banners that pop out when you roll over them and get in the way. Sometimes I'm intrigued by the artwork and will take a deeper look. However I am that those big words like "STUPENDOUS!" or "FIVE STARS!" are only there to make the game look better, so I never look because of those. If they're having to throw adjectives at me to get me interested, then that's a sign of a big problem.

4. If not, why?

--I think I already answered that.

--I rarely look at magazines and newspapers, but again if the artwork of the ad intrigues me then I will take a look. I don't actively seek them out, however.

--Of course. Good advertising could sell a snowball to an Eskimo.

7. Why?

--A good advertisement is unique and gives the overall essence of the game. If that essence is to my liking, then I'll give it a look.

--Only if it's the only thing to look at, like on loading screens and whatnot. I usually don't think about them in a serious manner, however. Usually in a game I'm too pre-occupied with the current experience to be thinking about another.

9. Have you ever bought a game purely on the basis of information you found on it from it's website, a store page about it or advertisements for it?

--Yes, and it was actually very recent: Back to the Future: The Game.

10. If so, why?

--Apart from being a big BttF fan, the videos and previews they provided on their web site showing the game's creation process showed that they genuinely care about the project and the characters. They showed that they love the project as much as they want the cans to, which is good enough for me.

Hope that was beneficial. Good luck :)

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checking review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game?

That's part of it. Whether or not I even have interest in the game is entirely dependent on its content first, the quality of said content by my own perception, and then the opinions of others. Usually however other opinions is usually looked into at the same stage for me as "buying the game".
2. Why?

Because no one person is unbiased. Many reviews eventually narrow down the objective definition of how good a game is apart from subjective preference.

Extremely rarely if ever.
4. If not, why?

First, I'm a student. Being a student means I don't have all that much if any, disposable income. In addition, much of the time I have a relatively tight schedule to keep in regard to schoolwork and other activities. Advertising in any form wishes to part me from my time, but even more than that, my money, which is something I can't do. My money is spoken for in terms of what I need to buy as well as things I'd like to have (because I have already researched them, see answer to first question). Rarely will advertising expose the things I personally am interested in.

No. Newspapers articles more often than not are drivel anyways, magazines even moreso. Unless the cover looks something like this:

Not me personally. Although I heartily commend the effort and imagination that go into the arts and disciplines of Design and Marketing, it has been years since advertisements affected my decisions on what video games I buy.
7. Why?

As a student, I'm learning all about the Entertainment industry and lots about what goes into things like TV shows, commercials, special effects, etc and lots of this knowledge is interchangeable with the means and mediums which are used to broadcast to the world to influence minds and change ideas (such as convincing someone to buy something). My Production teacher taught the class on day one that "For the rest of the year, [we] are going to learn how to cheat. [Computer Graphics] is all about Cheating." The quote is highly indicative of the thin mask which entertainment mediums manufacture to simply exert the stories (or ideas) that the makers want to convey. Naturally since I'm learning all about how to make these facades, I see right through them. This is why Advertising is highly ineffectual on me.

I notice it. For example, in Team Fortress 2 many servers operated by clans will have a Splash page for their clan site and more server information, as well as advertising in the hopes that people who join will donate to fund the server, or other such things. These pages I see but don't really care about. However, if the server itself has lots of fun people on it and members of that clan are a blast to be around, that will be a far bigger draw to my attention than simply the words.

Once.
10. If so, why?
Sim City 4 was a rather uninformed purchase on my part, largely due to how much I enjoyed Sim City 3000 Unlimited and consequently became a minor fanboy to Maxis. However SC4 I only found out after I bought it was highly complicated and a very different timbre of game, which made me somewhat disappointed.

Aug 25, 2009

I don't read Metacritic, I just scan around the internet and various magazines picking up a sense of what the game is like. Or I only buy a game from a series I already like (Mass Effect 2, L4D2) But overall yes.

2. Why?

Professional game reviewers presumably know what they're talking about, and collating enough of them can give at least an impression of how the game plays. For example even though Modern Warfare, Call of Duty etc gather lots of positice scores, I read the text that goes with it and find that eveyrhting the reviewer scored it highly for are things I don't like in games, thus I don't buy the game. Even when the review is positive it can influence me to not buy the game and vice-versa.

No

4. If not, why?

I bought the game [PROTOTYPE] after falling for web avertising and found it to be a monumental pile of trash, so I no longer pay any attention to advertising about games, only reviews and opinion as stated on gaming websites such as the Escapist.

Yes, but only as a point of analysis about the advertisment itself (Part of my university course includes advertising and the analysis thereof.)

No.

7. Why?

Reasons stated above regarding being taken in by advertisingin regards to a game I didn't like. Also, I don't trust advertisements in general, since they're trying to sell you things, and anyone trying to sell you something is trying to cover up its flaws by default.

Not knowingly.

[PROTOTYPE], mainly on web advertisements

10. If so, why?

The adverts made it look like a game I would enjoy. Being taken in and fooled by those adverts is the reason I no longer pay attention to adverts.

SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Generally the amount of advertisments a game has can greatly negatively influence me towards buying it. When a video advert runs on a number of websites before site content, overexposure to the advert makes me less inclined to buy the game even if I would otherwise have thought it worth a purchase. This was the case with Fable III.

Sorry I rag on [PROTOTYPE] so much, but it was the only game ever where I was taken in by the adverts, and I hated it.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Salmaras said:
No. If I buy a game, it means that I've checked it out before, seen screenshots, seen trailers, got interested in its plot or know the developers and like what they do.

Critics can be paid, have their own opinions which don't coincide with my own. The fact that a stranger likes a game and writes about it is as important to me as asking people randomly on the street. Sure, they might know things about games. Sure, they played a lot of games but that doesn't mean we have the same taste in games. I'm picky.

Nope.

4. If not, why?
They're everywhere and I've seen all of them probably dozens of times before. I've learned to block them out. However, I always notice the World of Darkness ones. I don't know why.

Only if I'd be really really bored, somewhere where there is nothing to do and I have nothing on me except that magazine. They're usually as boring as the internet ones. Except less flashy.

So so.

Sadly, I have to hear about a game first to buy it. That can only be done with a certain amount of advertising. I wish it weren't so as only large companies can afford it, most of the time. I know splendid games that would have been huge with the proper marketing but it wasn't made to be. I wish it weren't so.

No. I rarely notice it. And if I do notice it, rare as it may be, I usually get annoyed at it. I remember Dragon Age that blatantly suggested to buy the DLC. I hated that.

Once or twice.

10. If so, why?
They were sequels so I already knew what to expect and what I wanted. They had trailers and screenshots so I could check out what I wanted to know, in that case. (could I stand the gameplay and does it look worse than the one before. No? Bought)

I shall be expecting my cookies (I like chocolate chip) and giant iguana (it shall be my final stage to taking over the world)

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
1. Reviews for games used to make feel like a little schoolchild hyped on way too much lsd.... I'd get rather excited about a game, and then be utterly deflated as I realise the game has fuck all replayability (is that a word?) and that its 'so good' as the game reviewer just had to play it once.

2. It's what they are meant to do, wet your mouth a little. Unfourtunatly for me I'm very easily interested in computer games. You know that fish with a mouthfull of hooks? Hi!!! Thats me o/

3. NO

4. Online advertising annoyes me, simple as. I know its important for websites as a stream of revenue. But whats going on atm is frankly ridiculous, having to watch adds before you can watch certain videos, or a party poker window opening behind your current browser window.... Its just 'ARRRGHHHH' as I put it the last time it happened. It pisses me off no end basicly.

5. Its sort of hard not too.

6. Yes, adds that have some thought behind them, the ones that make you laugh (you know the sort I'm on about) I really like.

7. I dunno instead of sucking out your soul (I dont like adds in case you didnt notice, as they are everywhere), they give something back. They make you laugh which you cant really put a price on imo.

8. Dont think I've ever seen any to be honest, if I did notice it though I'd make a point not to buy what I'm being told to buy.

9. Yes.

10. The gears of war advert that was on tv when Marcus sees all the corpsers made that little child start runnning around my head banging pots and pans together all the time screaming 'BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY'
Needless to say I was once again disapointed. The only fight with a corpser in gow1 was so fail, the game was ok I guess (never really got into the multiplayer) but I was expecting more battles with huge monsters.

EDIT: What I do not mind in the slightest are Steams adverts, yes its advertising but I dunno when I go onto Steam idc. I guess some of the adds will let you know that this game is out there. I bought a random game the other day for ?2.99 and have been having a blast with it for the past few weeks.

I guess when I'm going onto Steam I'm prepared for the add's or at leat I may be prepared to look a little deeper into the game when I see the add and say 'Oh that looks nice'. Its not like when your sitting on a bus and this phone company wants you to buy the latest model, coca cola isnt reminding you its best served ice cold. Some guy with a chiselled body isnt being dry humped by a gorgeous model (who is wearing a bedsheet D: ) to advertise a fragrance.

Its kind of the same as going into a cinema and seeing adds for upcoming films, I dont really mind them the first time round. Its the 2nd to 1,000th time that annoy me most.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010

Yes

2. Why?

Gives me a taste of what to expect and a hint how well-made/good it is.

Very rarely, the banners for different music on the Vevo network on youtube is the only one i can think of.

4. If not, why?

I know these people want to make money on me in some way, and there's a risk for infecting the computer with bugs and trojans.

Yes

Yes

7. Why?

It can bring my attention to a game i might not know about, it helps to build excitement for a coming game.

Unless it's really in-your-face i tend to miss it, and if it is i tend to just be annoyed.

No, i always check with a 3:rd party first.

10. If so, why?

I don't want to spend money on something i might not enjoy.

Good luck with your essay man!

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
1. No.

2. I've usually decided whether I want to get a game long before it's released. Reviews rarely change that. And I don't check Metacritic. However, I will consider getting things that come highly recommended that I hadn't thought about buying before.

3. Sometimes.

4. I'm just very good at tuning things out, I guess. I've only noticed a few ads for browser games because they appeal to me.

5. Usually skip past them.

6. ...Maybe? But it doesn't seem to work for me.

7. I think word of mouth is more pivotal in what I buy. I'm excited about certain games along with other people long before we've seen the first ad. I think the only time advertising brought my attention to a game was Assassin's Creed.

8. I honestly didn't even know this was a thing until I heard it brought up on the Escapist...

9. No.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Being a fellow student studying games in some form I'd be happy to help. :D Good luck!

--It can do, to some extent but if a game I want gets a bad write up I'll generally wait until it drops in price, rather than paying the full price I would have.

2. Why?
--I don't wanna pay full price for a game that might not be as good as I'd hoped.

--Very rarely, on occasional if one really grabs my attention but other than that, no.

4. If not, why?
--I'm generally distracted by or more interested in the website, the banner rarely seems worth taking me away from what I'm currently doing

--Sometimes, depends whats being advertised.

--Generally not, I tend to know whether I want a game or not from reading up about them before they are even released.

7. Why?
--By the time they are being advertised I've already made up my mind.

--Hard to say, with it being subconscious it could have far more effect on me than I'm aware of.

--Probably, at some point. Can't think off hand for sure.

10. If so, why?
--N/A

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checkign review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game?- No.

2. Why?- I rely on my friends opinion on a game.

3. Do you pay attention to the Banners you see on the Websites?-No.

4. If not, why?- They are easy to ignore so I don't bother with them.

5. Do you read advertisements in Magazines and Newspapers? No.

6. Do you think good advertising makes you more likely to buy a game? Yes

7. Why?- It can make a game look really epic if it is done right.

8. Do you pay attention to In-Game Advertising?- In game advertisement? Didn't think there was any:)

9. Have you ever bought a game purely on the basis of information you found on it from it's website, a store page about it or advertisements for it?- Yes.

10. If so, why?- It was that little difference that made it stand out from other games at the time.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
1. Do you think that reading reviews for new games or checkign review scores on Metacritic affects whether or not you'll buy a game? No it duesnt

2. Why? Becouse often what they consider good I find bad and alot of reviews have people pay for good ones

3. Do you pay attention to the Banners you see on the Websites? Depends on the websites

4. If not, why? It depends if I find it to look cool or not

5. Do you read advertisements in Magazines and Newspapers? Somtimes I dont read many magazines and never read the newspaper

6. Do you think good advertising makes you more likely to buy a game? No

7. Why? I genreraly find most stuff they advertise to be over hyped of things in games and I often find games on my own or hear from friends

8. Do you pay attention to In-Game Advertising? No

9. Have you ever bought a game purely on the basis of information you found on it from it's website, a store page about it or advertisements for it? No I research all over the web and depending on who made it can determine what games I buy.

10. If so, why? I research all over the web and depending on who made it can determine what games I buy.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Salmaras said:
Mittens and cookies, eh?

1. Reviews affect if I buy a game, but Metacritic scores doesn't.

2. Metacritic scores always tend to be really high no matter how crappy the game actually is. (I don't have a single game that has scored under 75 and I own some crappy games)
And I find reviews are a good way of finding out if a game is for me or not.

3. Yes.

5. Mostly not. Only if the ad immidiately catches my attention.

6. Not necessarily, but bad advertising makes less inclined to buy a game. I was a little interested in picking Dead Space 2 up, but I don't want to anymore because of the "Your mom hates Dead Space 2" ads.

7. I often get irritated when I see a bad advertisement and that irritation is often projected onto the game the advertisement was for.

8. I don't pay attention to it, but if I see it and it doesn't feel out of place I quite enjoy it.

9. No.

Good luck with school-thingy... (I don't know what a questionaire is)

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
1. Somewhat

2. While i never base my purchasing decisions solely on other peoples comments, they do have a serious impact when they bring up terrible game red flags.

3. Rarely

4. Mostly because they have virtually no information in them. The only ones i can actually remember are for a game Evony, that appeared to be marketing breasts and combat arms that were marketing nut shots. neither of which really add that much to a game, and if they are the only selling point being shown its more likely to add another reason not to buy.

5. I subscribed to a gaming magazine back when i was in school and i read almost all the add's

6. Definitely

7. Advertising is a very important part of the shopping experience, particularly if you can make your game stand out. i find companies that advertise well are often all around better at what they do. If somethings not advertised there's a good probability that i wont know about it, if its over-advertised i usually assume that thats what they spent their budget on hoping for good initial sales.

8. No, its like product placement, it helps for immersion, and i like when my car in need for speed has the same tires as my actual car, but i didnt buy the tires because of the game.

9.Yes

10. If a product tells me it's new and exciting and doesn't give me any reason not to believe that its lying i would likely check it out. Although i do usually give it more research than just an ad campaign