A Monopoly Origin Story Is Coming to Theaters

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
A Monopoly Origin Story Is Coming to Theaters

Don't give me that look, you guys. I was always more of a Life fan, anyways.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/10/big-beach-mounts-monopolists-howard-rodman-to-script-board-game-drama-1201594158/]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Pretty sure its already been done. Atlas Shrugged or The Great Gatsby. Both stories about dicks doing dick things with money.
How will Monopoly be any different?

voidraz

Jan 10, 2010
It only seems right that they should accept Monopoly money as a means to pay for tickets. Not that I've ever thought a movie based on a board game sounded like a good idea, so at least that'd be closer to the likely worth of the movie.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Extra points for the Ace Ventura meme there!

First impression: Stop it, humans. Stop embarrassing yourselves!

Post-first impression: Oh, there is history in this board game? With intrigue??

Eh, i'll wiki it if every other entertaining plan fails and the only other option is the mysterious medication under the sink.

Edit: Anti-capitalist, you say? Interesting that there are two different films, one looking to capitalise solely off the brand recognition while the other attempting to teach us the shady history of how the board game came to be as we know it. Seeing the producer is of Little Miss Sunshine fame, one starts to think that perhaps this film is a retaliation/pushback towards the Lionsgate production in honour of its' original lady creator. Sort of like if Konami were to make a fictional film glorifying their MGS success without ever mentioning Kojima, prompting other producers with higher ethical standards to film a documentary on the controversy between MGS and Kojima/Konami. Ooh...am a bit woozy now.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Wait... wait... there are TWO Monopoly movies being made? One is a gritty "origin story" that will probably deal with heavy economic and political themes and another is a family-friendly adventure film.

What the fuck is wrong with Hollywood?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah because this type of thing always works out great, I mean look at Battleship! If this doesn't embody how pathetic and desperate Hollywood is I don't know what does

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hey, if we're starting up a trend of making movies based on board games that are specifically designed to absolutely destroy friendships, how about we get ourselves a movie based on Risk while we're at it? :D

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
RJ 17 said:
Hey, if we're starting up a trend of making movies based on board games that are specifically designed to absolutely destroy friendships, how about we get ourselves a movie based on Risk while we're at it? :D
My vote is for either 13 Dead End Drive or Rock Jocks in IMAX, but I could get behind a 14 hour long Risk movie as well.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
I'm not too clear on this, is the film going to be a fictional story based on monopoly? Or based on the actual story of the game's creation? Because if it's the latter, that could be quite interesting. (What many don't realize is that Monopoly was originally created by a woman trying to illustrate the faults and downfalls of capitalism, but the game was later hijacked by several others later in history.)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JaredJones said:
RJ 17 said:
My vote is for either 13 Dead End Drive or Rock Jocks in IMAX, but I could get behind a 14 hour long Risk movie as well.
The friendship-ending memory I hold onto around Risk involves a game where I only had Australia and a couple of the southern Asia countries. The guy who had the rest of Asia proposed an alliance: if I help him punch a hole into Africa instead of just turtling up he would spare me and instead focus on taking out Africa. He assured me that he was on the level, so I went with his plan...and what does he do? He backstabs me, of course, and goes on to ignore Africa completely and instead wipes me out entirely.

It wasn't so much the backstab that pissed me off though...its that his response to my saying "What the hell, man? I thought we had a deal!" was "I never made any such deal with you, what the hell are you talking about?"

He denied having ever agreed to such an alliance...when it was he who proposed the alliance to begin with. Even with the other players saying "Yeah, actually, you did say that" he just kept saying "You're all crazy, I never said anything like that."

Backstab + Lying About Backstab = Friendship Over.

I hated that prick ever since. :p

So yeah, lets get ourselves a movie based off of that delicious flavor of drama.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, that title is confusing. It will be the origin of how the game came into existence, not a flight of fancy about some story behind what is actually happening in the game. I'll pass.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
ravenshrike said:
So, bets on whether this clears 40 million in ticket sales? I'm thinking... no.
Any bets that TellTaleGames are going to make episodic games out of this soon after? I'm thinking.... yes?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
You know, I get it, on paper. These board games tend to create meta-narrative among the players, the same way X-Com or Civilization do on video games. On paper, all they have to do is use one instance of the game as "the cannon", and they have the script.

As people pointed out, you can make a decent story out of anything: Make a movie about competing real state moguls and an underdog trying to carve his way... done.

However, don't call the movie with the name of the property. You may seem like the brand recognition helps sell the movie, but it doesn't. People won't go to the movie because they have fond memories of the board game. People will either dismiss it as stupid because it is based on a children's game, or will think the title is a word so generic that has even been used in board games since the days of their grandparents...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I only have one, very important question...

...who's playing the dog?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
JaredJones said:
RJ 17 said:
Risk would have to be at minimum 6-8 hours to even capture the essence, and tons of treaty betrayals... I think Risk would be better suited for a GoT treatment as a seasonal TV show. Less sex, more violence, large scale battles and twisted tactics/politics. The best games I've ever had were damn close to ruining friendships by way of board game politics and kitchen side-deals/treaties (sometimes bribes with various foods or other substances).
I can imagine writing a script treatment for a 2 season mini-series based off of an amalgamation of the writers' past Risk experiences.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samsont said:
I'm not too clear on this, is the film going to be a fictional story based on monopoly? Or based on the actual story of the game's creation? Because if it's the latter, that could be quite interesting. (What many don't realize is that Monopoly was originally created by a woman trying to illustrate the faults and downfalls of capitalism, but the game was later hijacked by several others later in history.)
Both. Lionsgate is making the former, and Big Beach will make the later.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Two Monopoly movies... Yeah... Do you think that at least one won't suck?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Finally somebody is tapping the Monopoly film market. I hope they both end in world shattering earthquakes because a giant space kid was losing and flipped the board. Next up: Connect Four and Jenga.