A New Community Manager and a New Code of Conduct

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
A New Community Manager and a New Code of Conduct

Hi, everybody! (Hi, Doctor Nick!)

I'm Schuyler Dievendorf, and I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself, and let you all know that as of now, I will be acting as Community Manager here at The Escapist. I started life in this industry as a Game Master for Pirates of the Burning Sea and Wizard 101. Since then, I've been Series Producer for such shows as Loading Ready Run, No Right Answer and The Big Picture, as well as bringing you such classic galleries as Code of Conduct [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/galleryoftheday/10854-8-Games-From-EA-That-Don-t-Suck], as you know them are going to remain in place, but we're clarifying some of the rules to clear up any confusion and further defining trolling so as a group we can go forward with a little less confusion about the rules.

If you want to keep up with the comings and goings of The Escapist, keep an eye on our Twitch.tv [https://twitter.com/TheEscapistMag].

Welcome to 2014, where we'll collectively make The Escapist forums the happiest place on Earth.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Scooped by five minutes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.839376-Poll-New-Forum-Rules-Yay-or-Nay] on the CoC I'm afraid DrStrangelove but nevertheless, congratulations on your new role. You don't know how long I'd been hoping for a rule's update, so thanks for that and good luck managing this community. Hope you're nice and active like Nasrin was :)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Why hello my new master. *bows*
Anyway, interesting to see some of the new things in the Code of Conduct. I don't remember the harassment clause being there before, but it's nice to see it.

It's also good to the thread necroing addressed, because as of late I've noticed a lot of Necro'd threads. I like going in them and counting how many members have been banned like a sadistic little monster. :3

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Hurry, someone start trolling this thread!

Not sure if you're to be congratulated on your new position or commended for your bravery in approaching it from anywhere near the length of a ten foot pole.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Someone else who wants people to respond with "Hi, Dr. Nick!" when they say "Hi, everybody!"?
I think I'm in love...
[sub][sub]oh and the CoC change is nice I guess[/sub][/sub]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
As long as the CoC still boils down to Don't be a dick I'm happy. Congrats (I think) on your new role Mr Community manager sir.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I did wonder for a moment why there was a new CoC to agree on the last post I made before this. Makes sense now.

Anyway, nice to see thread necro-ing sorted with (as casually chatting with a couple of the mods, it sounding like it was one of the more difficult things to deal with, one way or the other) and enjoy the new post!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hi, Dr. Nick!

Dr. Nick, your new conduct thing came in a little fast and without warning. Now, we'll let ya go with a warning this time, but next time there'll be a ticket and a fine.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
WAKE UP SHEEPLE, THEY'RE MANIPULATING YOU!

Well hello there Dr. Strangelove, hopefully the Escapist community will have many an adventure with you and vice versa,

Bon Fortune avec ton nouveau position, ca devrait etre genial!

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I don't know if I'm ready for a new CC... I've been hurt too many times in the past :(

Srsly though, glad to have the CoC updated. Should definitely help clear things up for everyone

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
The forums are already kind of a dystopia , but regardless, good luck and stuff! the new CoC looks indeed better.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Just a small point of contention on the code of conduct. Nothing major. On the subject of "offensive posts", I would like to note that there is a large space between the words "that is offensive" and "I am offended." Some subjects and mannerisms can be considered to be generally offensive because they are likely to offend the majority of people you would encounter, but when you qualify a rule to consider whether "anyone" could find it offensive, things become a bit problematic, as some people find things offensive that the average forumite might not.

I'm sure that common sense will prevail, but the wording of that subrule could possibly be a bit better, especially when when the immediately following rule is to "have respect for others," which should cover the corner cases quite nicely. If you post something that you don't believe to be offensive, but someone else complains about, then respect your neighbor and tone it down.

Anyway, more of a nitpick that a genuine complaint, as I'm sure that it will be handled well in practice. Congrats on your new post, and may God Jim have mercy on your soul.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Congrats on the new position.

Also when you say Janelle has a new role, does that mean a new role with The Escapist/War Cry or has she left the site?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Congratulations komrade kommisar Dievendorf, may the peoples posts always be satisfactory of great and glorious rules, long live the ESSR!

Sorry, sorry, I have a problem keeping my old soviet side in check. It's like a phantom voice in my head.

OT: congratulations I hope someone will find the joke/reference funny, I couldn't resist when I saw our new community managers username, great movie, I miss Peter Sellers.

I am somewhat disappointed about the new necro rules, but it is understandable.
Also I am surprised that... software that limits.... I mean #2 on the taboo topics is taboo. Very good to know that talking about that is not tolerated.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I'm not going to lie, I really despise the new rules on necroing. Discussion value on a thread doesn't go away just because it's old, and people should not be punished if they actually do add to the discussion regardless of how old the thread is. Having fifty threads on the same topic is much worse imho than trying to keep the discussion into one thread and encourages use of the underused search function, and bothering mods unnecessarily just to make a single post in a thread seems pointless and a waste of mod-effort in my eyes.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
It's good to see clarification of the rules in nice plain language and I appreciate that it pops up before you post. Good luck at your new position!

reiniat said:
Alpha Maeko said:
Hurry, someone start trolling this thread!
How about an anti-trolling clause for the site itself? im tired of clicking around the Escapist and being bombarded with pop-ups, and some of them EVEN CLOSE THE ESCAPIST and redirect me somewhere else, also many adds have annoying sounds that loop over and over.
It would be nice if someone could fix that, where should i make a ticket, or what can i do?
That was more or less off topic.
I don't block ads on the escapist and I don't get that problem. Does it happen other places? Your computer could have been hijacked by malware. It happened to me a while ago and I was even getting pop ups on Steam

V da Mighty Taco said:
I'm not going to lie, I really despise the new rules on necrosis.
Really? I was actually surprised by the fact that you can request a thread be reopened by the moderators rather than "no threads older than 30 days" like it was before

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
bdcjacko said:
Congrats on the new position.

Also when you say Janelle has a new role, does that mean a new role with The Escapist/War Cry or has she left the site?
She still here.