A New Map is Coming to Battlefield 1 in June, and it's Free to Premium Pass Owners

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
A New Map is Coming to Battlefield 1 in June, and it's Free to Premium Pass Owners

Battlefield 1 players are getting a new map in June, and it will be free to anyone who owns the Premium Pass.

EA is planning to move to a schedule of monthly updates [https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/the-road-ahead-for-battlefield-1-march-2017] fir Battlefield 1. The May update is focusing on "Quality of life" improvements designed to make the game more "balanced and fair," but in June, we'll be getting a brand new map to play around on.

The map is Nivelle Nights. The Nivelle Offensive was a large-scale combined British / French operation that took place in the spring of 1917. Although initially the operation looked successful, it resulted in so many casualties that mutinies broke out in many parts of the French Army. If you're a history buff, you can read more here on Wikipedia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nivelle_Offensive].

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1396/1396776.jpg

EA has only shown off one screenshot so far, showing a trenchline under a full moon. The official map description reads, "As darkness falls over the muddy battlefields around Malmaison and Soupir, French and German batteries prepare to yet again support their troops on the contested ground.

The moon, the searchlights, and the artillery lights up the night skies, exposing the vast network of trenches. Bite and hold as your foe will fight for every inch of ground. Strategy and teamwork will overcome those who have neither."

Once it launches in June, Nivelle Nights will be free to BF1 Premium Pass owners. There's no word yet on what the exact release date will be, or what the map will cost for those who don't own the Premium Pass.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Isn't the Premium Pass just their version of the Season Pass? That sounds a lot like "if you buy our maps, we will give you our maps for free"...

Games like Titanfall 2 and Rainbow Six Siege have spoiled me now. I like BF1 but I'm not sure I'm buying map packs again when I have other games that don't make me pay for more stuff...

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Oh look, EA doing even MORE player base division. For a moment i thought it was 2010.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Its cool that they are adding more "free" maps to the game, outside of what they have already announced, but the whole premium/season pass thing is just ripped straight from 5 years ago.

Strange how EA will give you all of the DLC maps for free in Titanfall, and then charge you for them in BF1.

It is such a shame, too, because it is obvious that these studios are putting a lot of effort into these maps, but after the launch week, they will just disappear from servers.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
I'd hope it's "free" for people that paid for premium. You're basically buying the game again...

I'll probably wait for premium/exp packs to go on sale before getting back into BF1. It looks like they're following the usual divide the player base method they usually do.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
and it's Free to Premium Pass Owners

I just...don't even know where to go with this. I'm at a loss.

Is this seriously where we've gone to in the triple-A industry? We have to consider it an altruistic gesture on the part of the publisher that they toss a 'free' map our way AFTER we pay extra money for their fucking season pass bullshit?