A pokemon related math question.

Epicspoon

New member
May 25, 2010
841
0
0
So I was just curious. If you were to count each evolutionary line as one Pokemon (Pichu, Pikachu and Raichu counting as one pokemon instead of three for example) how many Pokemon would there be in total?

I was wondering because I realized that each evolutionary line SHOULD technically count as one pokemon. I mean a bee larvae is still a bee after all.

I am stupid and am bad at math otherwise I would figure it out myself.

First person to give me the right answer gets a coupon for zero free nothings.
 

TehCookie

New member
Sep 16, 2008
3,919
0
0
You can't count?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Pok%C3%A9dex_number
When you see a new lineage count it.
 

Dryk

New member
Dec 4, 2011
981
0
0
The answer is here, I can't be bothered counting them

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_evolution_family#Kalos-based_evolution_families
 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
6,989
1,141
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
TehCookie said:
You can't count?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Pok%C3%A9dex_number
When you see a new lineage count it.
Dryk said:
The answer is here, I can't be bothered counting them

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_evolution_family#Kalos-based_evolution_families
That link only works if you know all the pokemon evolutions already. Since the chart goes by generation, if someone doesn't know evolutions that were added during different generations they can't count it out like that.
 

TehCookie

New member
Sep 16, 2008
3,919
0
0
Dirty Hipsters said:
TehCookie said:
You can't count?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Pok%C3%A9dex_number
When you see a new lineage count it.
Dryk said:
The answer is here, I can't be bothered counting them

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_evolution_family#Kalos-based_evolution_families
That link only works if you know all the pokemon evolutions already. Since the chart goes by generation, if someone doesn't know evolutions that were added during different generations they can't count it out like that.
For mine yes, but Dryk's has it listed by family so you can count them out.
 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
6,989
1,141
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
TehCookie said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
TehCookie said:
You can't count?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Pok%C3%A9dex_number
When you see a new lineage count it.
Dryk said:
The answer is here, I can't be bothered counting them

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_evolution_family#Kalos-based_evolution_families
That link only works if you know all the pokemon evolutions already. Since the chart goes by generation, if someone doesn't know evolutions that were added during different generations they can't count it out like that.
For mine yes, but Dryk's has it listed by family so you can count them out.
Woops, yeah, you're right. My bad.

I didn't actually click his link because it looked like the same link.
 

Auron225

New member
Oct 26, 2009
1,790
0
0
Dryk said:
The answer is here, I can't be bothered counting them

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_evolution_family#Kalos-based_evolution_families
There are 357 families there, unless I miscounted.

That includes Eeveelutions as one family, so if you want to call them separate ones then its 365. But it also brings into question things like Mewtwo, who is a clone of Mew, so are they really one family? That list counts them as two.

Anyway, yeah. 357 or 365 if you don't count Eevees as 1 family.

I'm fairly bored.