A puddle removed from upcoming Spiderman game, graphic warriors shriek in bereavement

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
EternallyBored said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Funny developers still try to pull this, making blatant excuses for obvious changes that they somehow think the gaming community will buy after a bulbous history of bull shot bs. The only two options are owning up to the changes that make the game look worse, or better yet build your game within realistic parameters from the beginning like Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games (post PS3), or Quantic Dream, to where there might even be improvements in the final code.

Having said that, Insomniac has made some great games and technically solid ones to boot, so perhaps these issues are more overblown than the usual suspects. I would think they?d have enough integrity to be honest about artistical changes vs technical downgrades of anything. I?m really curious to see what DF has to say about the differences.
Digital Foundry put out an analysis, and if you want to watch the whole 30 minute video they go pretty in depth into a lot of things, including examining the room from the pictures and the 2017 demo compared to the final scene, eventually going into shot by shot analysis. The water seems to be the major change, and the video offers a theory as to why as well as several shots of a lot of the water, rain, and puddles in the game.

It makes a pretty good case into why some of the changes exist and even some of the improvements from the final game over the 2017 demo. Overall, it looks like the whole thing is overblown and there has not been any real graphical downgrade, tweaks and changes, but in the side by side shots in the video I would be hard pressed to say the 2017 demo looks noticeably better, and as the video points out, the final game has a number of improvements over the 2017 demo graphically and several shots from the same mission in the demo are noticeably better.

Some scenes are better and some are worse, here are some of the downgrades from YongYea:

The developers said there's been no downgrade, which is obviously another lie.
Some still screens are largely meaningless even from yongyeas video there are improvements in the final game over the 2017 build and other scenes where it?s obviously just lighting differences. None of this is indicative of some sort of lie on the devs part, i see no clear overall downgrade and even the opposite in some cases with an across the board improvement in multiple areas when the demo and final build are shown side by side. Especially in interior shadows and cloth physics versus the 2017 demo

Picking out a couple frames for screenshots is largely worthless and does not convince me that the devs lied In any meaningful way beyond some pedantic standard that involves picking things apart frame by frame looking for excuses to call them liars.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
EternallyBored said:
Some still screens are largely meaningless even from yongyeas video there are improvements in the final game over the 2017 build and other scenes where it?s obviously just lighting differences. None of this is indicative of some sort of lie on the devs part, i see no clear overall downgrade and even the opposite in some cases with an across the board improvement in multiple areas when the demo and final build are shown side by side. Especially in interior shadows and cloth physics versus the 2017 demo

Picking out a couple frames for screenshots is largely worthless and does not convince me that the devs lied In any meaningful way beyond some pedantic standard that involves picking things apart frame by frame looking for excuses to call them liars.
How are they meaningless? They have as much meaning as the upgrades it got and I did say that some scenes look better than the 2017 demo (Which is to be expected), some looks worse and some just looks different with the lighting which in my opinion now looks worse.

I mean if you want to downplay it then yeah sure, they are worthless.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
While I don't think the differences are that apparent I do agree with Babyfarts that companies being dishonest about their graphics and texture. is something the gaming community should call out. Spiderman PS4 already looks great but them prepping up the graphics for the trailers leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
AAA devs showing tarted up, blatantly unrepresentative of the launch code gameplay footage and stills?! OH! Say it ain't so! Oh how can we live in this world?!

Nov 9, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
When has Bethesda ever done good combat?
Morrowind and Oblivion's combat isn't even that bad. Fallout 3 and New Vegas has bad combat.

The jump from Morrowind to Oblivion was huge. Before 2010 you would see gigantic leaps, where nowadays innovation in AAA games consists of gimmicks.

It really just takes some basic common sense on the gamer to figure it out.
I think a lot of the people who bought into No Man's Sky had never played a space sim before. They don't have a reference point, and all they see is some amazing new experience instead of a dumbed down Elite. There were red flags, but you could easily ignore those.

Nowadays you can just assume these E3 gameplay demos are fake, but the more hyped you are, the more you want to believe it's real. After all, people are still preordering games.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I don said:
Phoenixmgs said:
When has Bethesda ever done good combat?
Morrowind and Oblivion's combat isn't even that bad. Fallout 3 and New Vegas has bad combat.

The jump from Morrowind to Oblivion was huge. Before 2010 you would see gigantic leaps, where nowadays innovation in AAA games consists of gimmicks.

It really just takes some basic common sense on the gamer to figure it out.
I think a lot of the people who bought into No Man's Sky had never played a space sim before. They don't have a reference point, and all they see is some amazing new experience instead of a dumbed down Elite. There were red flags, but you could easily ignore those.

Nowadays you can just assume these E3 gameplay demos are fake, but the more hyped you are, the more you want to believe it's real. After all, people are still preordering games.
Fallout's VATS is far more interesting than Elder Scrolls system of moving up to an enemy and hacking away until health is gone. VATS is basically simple turned-based combat with the risk/reward system of targeting weak points, which allowed it to be more than just a bad shooter. Whereas Elder Scolls combat is just really bad action combat. I think only a very few people would say any Elder Scrolls has good combat.

I've never played a space sim but the footage never showed off interesting gameplay. Seeing a dinosaur on a different planet is cool and all but what am I doing when that isn't happening? That's literally all you had to ask yourself. It was basically like if Shadow of the Colossus was marketed in a way where you only saw a boy riding around on a horse seeing cool looking colossi and that's it. That was No Man's Sky video footage in a nutshell.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Re: Puddlegate

I watched the DigitalFoundary video today, and one thing that I would have liked to see addressed was whether or not the special effects for walking on the puddle were still there. They curiously avoid even testing it in their video.

//Puddlegate is stupid. No one really cares... I only ask because I'm bored.