A Purrfect Thief Becomes Playable in Arkham City

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A Purrfect Thief Becomes Playable in Arkham City

Gamers who pick up Arkham City will have the chance to do some cat burglary of their very own.

We've known now for a while that Selina Kyle - better known as Catwoman - would <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102601-Arkham-Asylum-Inmates-Escape-Into-Batman-Arkham-City>be appearing in Batman: Arkham City, but we didn't quite know how. Would Batman's on-again-off-again love interest/antagonist be there to aid the Bat, or would she be there to trip him up?

According to Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/meow-catwoman-playable-in-batman-arkham-city-202306.phtml], it's a little bit from column A, a little bit from column B, and a little bit of "none of the above." Catwoman won't be overtly antagonistic to Batman this time around - and their interests may coincide once or twice - but she is there on her own terms and for her own reasons.

You see, Arkham City villain Hugo Strange has stolen many things from the Arkham inmates, and Selina wants these "stolen stolen goods" for herself, which would make them "stolen stolen stolen goods," phew. Many of the most valuable goodies are heavily guarded by Strange's security force, and Catwoman will have to use gadgets and her stealthy agility to get her paws on the prize.

There will be mandatory Catwoman segments in the game, said Rocksteady's marketing manager Dax Ginn, but most Catwoman missions are sidequests activated by finding stray cats throughout Arkham City. All in all, Catwoman content makes up "about 10%" of everything in Arkham City - this is still Batman's show.

From the sound of it, the Catwoman gameplay is more technical than Batman's. She doesn't have as many gadgets - only 3 to Batman's 12 - but she's quicker, using her whip and claws to stealthily move across the rooftops in the city asylum. Her movements are effected by a combo meter which rewards perfectly-timed swings and leaps: The better you play, the faster she goes.

While she can also engage in acrobatic combat, she's more suited to stealth than the Dark Knight, and can use her claws and whip to crawl across a ceiling, a la Spider-Man. However, her Thief Sense doesn't show enemies in the same way that Batman's Detective Sense does - it merely points the way to valuables. So, players who slip into the catsuit will need to be stealthy and smart, lest Strange's TYGER goons bring the career of the sensual cat burglar to a violent end.

Batman: Arkham City is scheduled for release this October, and Catwoman will be playable across all three platforms.

(Game Informer [http://www.destructoid.com/meow-catwoman-playable-in-batman-arkham-city-202306.phtml])

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Well color me intrigued. Having some variety will be great, not that being Batman is bad. Selina just looks better.

Apr 28, 2008
Guess the cat's out of the bag now...

Sounds sweet. Hopefully she'll be fun to play. Like The Joker from Arkham Asylum.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Sooo...... ummm.... jiggle physics?

You know I'm right, that question came up in a board meeting somewhere.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Nice! This ought to be fun. If they let us play as the Joker for another 10% of the game, I'll be in heaven.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
I like the idea of proper stealth sections. I hope it's not the same as AA, where you COULD stealth your way around the level, never letting the enemy see you, but you were still expected to take all the guards out anyway.

Fingers crossed!

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I'm amazed that this isn't a pre-order bonus, or DLC, or even platform specific content. PC and 360 never did get to play as the joker in AA.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Wow, Batman really is at the top of the charts in the entertainment industry, huh? You have AA as a game of the year, and just a beautiful masterpiece that I'm sure will live to be seen as a classic someday. You have the Dark Knight creeping the fuck out of people with Ledger as the Joker, and now you have Arkham City hopefully going to surpass AA and no has a new style of play that (from the sound of it) blends in without overpowering Batman

Who needs the Avengers says DC, cause we have, BATMAN! Da na na na nuh nuh nuh nuh Da na na na duh nuh nuh nuh BATMAN! POW!

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Ne1butme said:
I'm amazed that this isn't a pre-order bonus, or DLC, or even platform specific content. PC and 360 never did get to play as the joker in AA.
It was most disappointing. I only recently got AA, and it's awesome. Can't wait for the new one, though. Should be fun.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Hmmmm all the good jokes are taken.
well then I'll have a Halle Berry Good time playing as her.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
This sounds very nice. Perhaps it will be better stealth sections, more emphasis on infiltration instead of simply silently taking down all the bad guys. I'm getting more and more psyched for this game, it may even surpass Portal 2 as my game of the year.
Ne1butme said:
You get to play as the Joker on PS3? How?

Roberto416

Mar 30, 2011
Okay cool... So you get to play as Catwoman in both Beat-em-up and stealth segments and also search for cats (as opposed to joker teeth/riddler trophies in AA) throughout AC. Hopefully, they'll keep the 'Infinite beat-em-up' mode which I love.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
brunothepig said:
This sounds very nice. Perhaps it will be better stealth sections, more emphasis on infiltration instead of simply silently taking down all the bad guys. I'm getting more and more psyched for this game, it may even surpass Portal 2 as my game of the year.
Ne1butme said:
Challenge maps only. He's supposedly available on the PSN store for free.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
brunothepig said:
Ne1butme said:
What do you mean, 'How'? He was a free DLC as I recall. You took over Arkham Asylum as the Joker. Some of the gadgets he got were the teeth (But they explode), an oversized revolver (Which shot real bullets and was an insta-kill), and some other things.

The Joker's stealth kills were pretty funny, though. One of them has him kicking the guard in the crotch from behind.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Am I the only one who the picture in this article isn't working for?

Game sounds like fun. Curse my empty wallet!

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
brunothepig said:
Ne1butme said:
What do you mean, 'How'? He was a free DLC as I recall. You took over Arkham Asylum as the Joker. Some of the gadgets he got were the teeth (But they explode), an oversized revolver (Which shot real bullets and was an insta-kill), and some other things.

The Joker's stealth kills were pretty funny, though. One of them has him kicking the guard in the crotch from behind.
I see. There's the problem, my mate owned the game, he's rarely even online with the PS3, since he doesn't have a proper internet connection. I'll have to tell him to do that. Somehow.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
well playing as the joker in Arkham Asylum was awesome fun tho dificult
hope they can do the character justice