A question for fans of RWBY.

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
dunno what it is.. or what RWBY stands for... or why people still use that cell-shaded look for animation. but i gave the videos a chance.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Didn't know anything about this. The videos are alright if you mute them, but I get the feeling that doing so is defeating the object. That voice acting though... eugh

I think the animator may have been better off sticking to his FF crossover fighting videos. White was good.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The delivery of the voice acting seemed... really off to me. Anyways, probably go Red, White, Black, Yellow.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Are there really "fans" of Rwby yet?

It hasn't aired yet?
(Unrelated question: What do you call "Aired" on the internet? Just Premiered? or is there a better term)

As far as the songs go

Mirror, Mirror (White)
Red like Roses (Duh)
From Shadow (Black)
amd... Do I have to pick a fourth?
Burn from Yellow is just a House beat remix of Red like Roses and From Shadow

And as the trailers go over all
Red: Second best fight choreography of the four and no shitty voice acting to take me out of the moment. I love the song and the use of the song was the best out of all 4
Yellow: Some of the best fight choreography out there. Monty and Shane awesome. No original song made me cry. Barbra and Lindsy's voice acting made my ears puke. I sure hope they're not main characters. Like the whole "RWBY" thing is just a red herring and Blake Rubi and Yang get arbitrarily killed off in the first episode and replaced with people who can act.
But all that being said, my god the fight choreography was amazing.
White: I have this interpretation of the white trailer that I really hope is true, mostly because if it is true it means Monty is able to tell one hell of a story using only art and music and it means characters don't have to talk very often. Also Weiss never opened her mouth so there's still hope for her!
then... Do I have to pick a fourth favorite.
Black kinda sucked. I liked the song, and the animation was beautiful, as to be expected. But there wasn't any good fight choreography. And it introduced plot elements without context (As apposed to the yellow trailer which introduces context and no plot elements) So you're basically left scratching your head trying to figure out why that thing just happened instead of being excited for seeing what it leads to. And finally GOD DAMMIT SHUT UP! The voice acting in the last two trailers makes me not want to watch RWBY.

I hope they release a version of the series with no voice over and just subtitles.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Uh, nice I guess?
Reminds me of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai, except without all the irony.

Some nice music and animation, but nothing I will seek out once I close this thread.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Mikeyfell said:
Are there really "fans" of Rwby yet?

It hasn't aired yet?
(Unrelated question: What do you call "Aired" on the internet? Just Premiered? or is there a better term)

As far as the songs go

Mirror, Mirror (White)
Red like Roses (Duh)
From Shadow (Black)
amd... Do I have to pick a fourth?
Burn from Yellow is just a House beat remix of Red like Roses and From Shadow

And as the trailers go over all
Red: Second best fight choreography of the four and no shitty voice acting to take me out of the moment. I love the song and the use of the song was the best out of all 4
Yellow: Some of the best fight choreography out there. Monty and Shane awesome. No original song made me cry. Barbra and Lindsy's voice acting made my ears puke. I sure hope they're not main characters. Like the whole "RWBY" thing is just a red herring and Blake Rubi and Yang get arbitrarily killed off in the first episode and replaced with people who can act.
But all that being said, my god the fight choreography was amazing.
White: I have this interpretation of the white trailer that I really hope is true, mostly because if it is true it means Monty is able to tell one hell of a story using only art and music and it means characters don't have to talk very often. Also Weiss never opened her mouth so there's still hope for her!
then... Do I have to pick a fourth favorite.
Black kinda sucked. I liked the song, and the animation was beautiful, as to be expected. But there wasn't any good fight choreography. And it introduced plot elements without context (As apposed to the yellow trailer which introduces context and no plot elements) So you're basically left scratching your head trying to figure out why that thing just happened instead of being excited for seeing what it leads to. And finally GOD DAMMIT SHUT UP! The voice acting in the last two trailers makes me not want to watch RWBY.

I hope they release a version of the series with no voice over and just subtitles.
I don't see why it can't have fans already. I thought the trailers were really well done, the characters look good, the fights are pretty awesome, the weapons are GLORIOUS. Crescent Rose, Ruby's Gunscythe, is my favorite so far. In addition to all of that it's coming from people that already have a reputation for quality, and already have a shit ton of fans already. If you like it,doesn't that technically make you a fan?

As for the Voice acting, yeah I can see where people are coming from. I'm a bit more forgiving thought, mostly because these people are all new voice actors, and not the same people from Red vs. Blue that have had almost 10 years of experience.

Off topic: I'd go with premiered myself, aired is more a TV term than anything else.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Dreadman75 said:
I don't see why it can't have fans already. I thought the trailers were really well done, the characters look good, the fights are pretty awesome, the weapons are GLORIOUS. Crescent Rose, Ruby's Gunscythe, is my favorite so far. In addition to all of that it's coming from people that already have a reputation for quality, and already have a shit ton of fans already. If you like it,doesn't that technically make you a fan?

As for the Voice acting, yeah I can see where people are coming from. I'm a bit more forgiving thought, mostly because these people are all new voice actors, and not the same people from Red vs. Blue that have had almost 10 years of experience.

Off topic: I'd go with premiered myself, aired is more a TV term than anything else.
Wouldn't that make you a fan of Monty or Rooster Teeth?

I really liked the trailers..... uh 2.5 of the trailers... But that's not enough to make me a fan of something I haven't seen, even if all 4 trailers were amazing. That's the problem with the movie industry they make a great trailer, everyone goes and sees a shit movie then all the trailers say: "Number one movie in America!"

I liked the Aliens: Colonial Marines demo, I'm not a fan of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
It's dangerous thinking to become a fan of something that doesn't exist yet. It's a vicious cycle, awesome trailer = lots of fans Shitty product = nothing, because the sale was already made.

Now I know a video series has more pressure because it's released week to week, so it has to deliver consistantly.

Especially listening to the trailers, RWBY could so very easily go so very wrong if they don't seriously work on the voice acing. Color me skeptical. (unless they release voice over free episodes, then I can let my good faith for Monty overcome my skepticism.)

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
Well i think im in love with yellow, or as im calling her from today fisty mcblondeboom. I enjoyed yellows fight the most aswell as her little bit of characterisation, though for music i would put Red ahead of yellow.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I would have to go with From Shadows, I don't know why. I don't normally listen to that kind of music but that theme has really grown on me. I like the other ones too (except for I Burn, I don't care for that one at all) but From Shadows is the one that gets stuck in my head.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Mikeyfell said:
Dreadman75 said:

I really liked the trailers..... uh 2.5 of the trailers... But that's not enough to make me a fan of something I haven't seen, even if all 4 trailers were amazing. That's the problem with the movie industry they make a great trailer, everyone goes and sees a shit movie then all the trailers say: "Number one movie in America!"

I liked the Aliens: Colonial Marines demo, I'm not a fan of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
It's dangerous thinking to become a fan of something that doesn't exist yet. It's a vicious cycle, awesome trailer = lots of fans Shitty product = nothing, because the sale was already made.

Now I know a video series has more pressure because it's released week to week, so it has to deliver consistantly.

Especially listening to the trailers, RWBY could so very easily go so very wrong if they don't seriously work on the voice acing. Color me skeptical. (unless they release voice over free episodes, then I can let my good faith for Monty overcome my skepticism.)
I am a big fan of Monty Oum and Roosterteeth, I wouldn't deny that for a second.

As for being a fan of something that doesn't exist...eh, you do have a point. But right now I maintain that I am a fan of what I have seen so far, if it does turn out terrible, god forbid, then at the very least I'll still have awesome music to listen to, even if I don't like everything else.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I like Red and White because they had a consistent theme going on: Classic Fairy Tale heroines given morphing and unique weapons/fire arms, having exceptional fighting prowess, being able to hold their own in a fight, and instilling a sense of mystery withing them.

Black might as be the combo breaker, as there nothing appealing or unique about her per-say compared to Red and White. What heroine is she suppose to embody, why is her weapon so generic (and already covered by White), why is her outfit so unoriginal and why did she need another character bailing her out? Clearly the odd ball of the group.

Yellow is on the line between Red/White and Black, as her ability to speak leaves her without the same sense of wonder and mystery as the first two ladies, but she at least has an interesting weapon and style to her that puts her above Black.

I'm interested as to what this series will entail, but I was hoping for more wonder and mystery that was invoked by Red and Black, mixed in with some action and comedy, presented by Yellow. They need to get back to the drawing board to sort Black out.

OP: In terms of theme song, I like Red's theme. It's the reason why I got interested in RWBY in the first place.

digital_critic

Mar 18, 2013
freaper said:
Black > Yellow > Red > White. Just because Japan (if the people behind this are even Japanese, idk) has a fascination with European history and culture which kinda weirds me out, for no particularly good reason.
Rooster Teeth and Monty Oum are behind RWBY, none of them are Japanese.
OT: Red Like Roses, followed by I Burn

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Dreadman75 said:
Mikeyfell said:
Dreadman75 said:

I am a big fan of Monty Oum and Roosterteeth, I wouldn't deny that for a second.

As for being a fan of something that doesn't exist...eh, you do have a point. But right now I maintain that I am a fan of what I have seen so far, if it does turn out terrible, god forbid, then at the very least I'll still have awesome music to listen to, even if I don't like everything else.
The music is quite good, and the action especially in the Yellow trailer was bad ass.

I hope the voice acting gets better (or is infrequent enough to be tuned out)

I'm excited for it, anxious, but excited.

We'll know for sure in 12 days (I think)

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
Never heard of this, but thanks, I'll now be keeping an eye on it!

My personal list goes White > Red > Yellow > Black.