A question on 3DS games

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
Before anyone says it: I have searched for this already and the only results i've found was the opposite of what I'm asking.

I've heard that the rerelease of The Ocarina of Time on the 3DS has been done pretty well and i'd love to get it, but the problem i have is that I don't own a 3DS. However, Im aware that the 3D feature can be toggled on and off, and it isn't essential to play the special 3D games.

With that in mind, im curious, if I were to go and buy the Ocarina of time, would i be able to play it on my good old DS Lite? Im not interested in the 3D effects, I just have fond memories of the Ocarina of time from my N64 and i'd love to replay it.

(also i know that if i'm wrong, this is going to sound quite silly but please don't flame me for stupidity :[ )

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Kratenser said:
With that in mind, im curious, if I were to go and buy the Ocarina of time, would i be able to play it on my good old DS Lite? Im not interested in the 3D effects, I just have fond memories of the Ocarina of time from my N64 and i'd love to replay it.

(also i know that if i'm wrong, this is going to sound quite silly but please don't flame me for stupidity :[ )
Nope. The 3DS is an entirely new platform from the DS. You can still play DS games on the 3DS, so if you want a 3DS you could just sell your old DS for it.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
As others have said, no you cannot. The main reason is because their entirely different hardware platforms. Assuming that you could would be akin to assuming you could place a 360 game with a wii with a classic controller. They both use DVD media, but they're coded to only work with one system.

Plus, you wouldn't be able to put a 3ds game in your DS. They're a bit thicker and have a tab at the top that would make it impossible.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Since this is a 3DS thread, I figured I'd ask: While I know 3DS games are region-locked, will ordinary DS games from a different region run on a 3DS?

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
Damn, well thanks for letting me know!

Bit of a shame really but looks like i'll have to find my N64 instead :(